International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

Well, given gatlands 0 and 8 record in super rugby Aotearoa games, he could do with a good coach, one who has a 4 and 0 record in super rugby competitions

Yes, but test match rugby is different to Super rugby. Test match rugby and Lions tests is a whole different level. Am sure Gatland is still getting used to coaching Super rugby level and club level rugby after his time with Wales.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Yes, but test match rugby is different to Super rugby. Test match rugby and Lions tests is a whole different level. Am sure Gatland is still getting used to coaching Super rugby level and club level rugby after his time with Wales.
Sure, but after watching the chiefs this year I started seeing evidence of what folk on here complain about regarding gatland, as he took the most creative, free spirited, attacking side, drained them of their soul, resulting in a team that couldn’t create tries or breaks to save themselves. This wasn’t just a bunch of new players (there were new players, to be fair, mostly in the forwards) with no experience who gatland doesn’t know how to coach, these were experienced and creative geniuses like brad Weber, Damian McKenzie, and Anton lienert brown. The latter was playing like Jamie Roberts (yes, that’s a bad thing).

Gatland has a successful record but I think it is very important he has the right assistants with him, because his strengths probably lie more in the environmental, cultural, and other management aspects, rather than the hands on technical coaching.

I also think he is good at getting players to dig in and play hard for each other, which is potentially the most important thing in high anxiety test matches, but he may not be so good at instilling the high levels of confidence required for attacking rugby.

The Alpha Bro

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Well, given gatlands 0 and 8 record in super rugby Aotearoa games, he could do with a good coach, one who has a 4 and 0 record in super rugby competitions
And Lancaster is already in a more prestigious set up and any coach's wet dream so it's best for everyone really.

ragerancher

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

I think taking a Kiwi coach with no coaching experience with Lions players and then expecting them to properly gel with them in a very short space of time and getting them to play in a way that would be foreign to them will not work. I think the rest of the Lions coaching staff need to be coaching in Lions nations with players who will be in the Lions.