Was this ever up for discussion?

Icemn

First XV
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
[video=youtube;gk8oC__AkpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk8oC__AkpE[/video]

I love James' reaction lol what does the rules say? did he make his run to kick?

The rules certainly used to say that once you start your run towards the ball the charge can start - I assume they still do, although the enforcement of it seems to be relaxed nowadays, as I see a lot of kickers walk back from the ball in order to check the line to the posts then go back to it to start measuring the run up. When I were a lad learning to place kick, I was told that if you walked back then had to go back to the ball for any reason (usually if it falls over) you should check with the ref before moving, to make sure it didn't count as your run up.

I can't say I saw O'Connor start his runup in that clip mind.

the rule is that if you take to long to take a kick you can charge down so stringer just picked the ball up

Scott as soon as the kicker steps towards the ball on a conversion, the opposition is entitled to charge down, even if the ball falls off the tee (in which case the kicker must attempt a drop kick). As you can see O'Connor took a step forward and Strings was watching. I think O'Connor just saw the funny side of the situation. Yours right there is a time limit on the kick too (a minute from when he gets the tee I think) but this wasn't the case here.

Scott as soon as the kicker steps towards the ball on a conversion, the opposition is entitled to charge down, even if the ball falls off the tee (in which case the kicker must attempt a drop kick). As you can see O'Connor took a step forward and Strings was watching. I think O'Connor just saw the funny side of the situation. Yours right there is a time limit on the kick too (a minute from when he gets the tee I think) but this wasn't the case here.
ah ok, thank you.

Yours right there is a time limit on the kick too (a minute from when he gets the tee I think) but this wasn't the case here.

I might be wrong, but I think they changed that rule recently - instead of 1 minute from when you get the tee, I think it's now 2 minutes from the try being awarded.

I might be wrong, but I think they changed that rule recently - instead of 1 minute from when you get the tee, I think it's now 2 minutes from the try being awarded.
Ah I see. To my memory, I've never seen anyone actually called on time though. Guys like Sexton certainly must get close though.

Last edited:
All the above still stands regarding a kick at goal but the kicker now has 90 second to complete his attempt at goal

Can any one remember which year this particular law changed

Latest posts