• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Was Wilkinson the scapegoat?

G

Gareth_B

So Wilkinson played a howler in terms pf his tactical kicking, but presumabley he was sticking to the game plan. As he's the only player dropped it does make it look like the management were saying it was his fault.

Not sure that Cipriani is being done any favours starting against Ireland either.

What do you guys think?

i reckon so lol i think the whole eng team rely on him, not his fault the rest of the eng team are Sh****t lol he cant have a great game every game. Other players should front up! but i do think Cipriani is the future for Eng lol

I reckon without Wilkinson at the WC, eng would have been gone before the quarters. Poor guy getting blame coz the rest of team are craptacular lol

i reckon so lol i think the whole eng team rely on him, not his fault the rest of the eng team are Sh****t lol he cant have a great game every game. Other players should front up! but i do think Cipriani is the future for Eng lol

I reckon without Wilkinson at the WC, eng would have been gone before the quarters. Poor guy getting blame coz the rest of team are craptacular lol [/b]

If that's what you think then you can't have been watching any of the Six Nations. Wilkinson has been on terrible form. Youngster Toby Flood has often seemed to be carrying Wilkinson, not the other way round.

He shouldn't be the only person, but he does deserve to be dropped.

wilkinson deserved to go without a doubt. but to only drop him (not vickery, vanikolo etc) makes him out to be the scapegoat and must be hard for him to take.
it's also bad for cips as if he has a howler and/or fails to get the backline movinghe will be tarred by the same brush as wilko. a fair bit of pressure for the lad. not a great way to start an international career.

Wilko had to be dropped as he was being picked on past glory and reputation. Cipriani should have been introduced at fullback at the begining of the championship rather than Balshaw and would now have a few full internationals under his belt. As it is , due to poor management from Ashton he has acted the big man and dropped the poor lad for f*** all then next match recalls him in the most pressured position on the pitch and has ended up looking even more silly. Cipriani has the arrogance to flourish at test match level and become a great but as all young players he needs carefull management. Based on his performances in the 6 nations Wilko is getting what he deserves.

I totally agree with danny.
An introduction to international rugby, under less pressured circumstances for Cipriani would be have been ideal. He's great in the full back position, he probably wouldn't have f***ed up defensively like Balshaw did and the poor lad wouldn't be facing this small-fish-in-a-big-pond syndrome.
But Johnny really had to go. A fly half, like a quarter back in american football, like a point guard in basketball is there to direct the play and make sure the team wins the game. Yes, he's probably following the game plan, but decision making during the game is his and his alone.

I totally agree with danny.
An introduction to international rugby, under less pressured circumstances for Cipriani would be have been ideal. He's great in the full back position, he probably wouldn't have f***ed up defensively like Balshaw did and the poor lad wouldn't be facing this small-fish-in-a-big-pond syndrome.
But Johnny really had to go. A fly half, like a quarter back in american football, like a point guard in basketball is there to direct the play and make sure the team wins the game. Yes, he's probably following the game plan, but decision making during the game is his and his alone.
[/b]

I agree with you. If Johnny Wilkinson is the world class player he's meant to be then he'll find his way back into the team. Overall I think its the best choice for everybody. Gives Cipriani a home game and with a no lose situation for him. He's the future of the England team.

Latest posts