• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

watch out for india in rugby

A

amit

its now the time to watch out for india in rugby. we r 1 of the upcoming teams in rugby. despite a ranking of 88, we have thrashed higher ranks teams by big margins. the teams which used to beat india, get thrashed by us the next time we meet them. malaysia, beat india 20-13 and in the 2007 wc qualifiers, ind thrashed malaysia 48-12. also, 3 days ago, india thrashed guam 47-0 and guam, had tied with india in the 2007 wc qualifiers.

i think india is going to be a team to be watched out in rugby within 2-3 years. we r also playing in the 2010 commonwealth games in rugby as hosts. hopefully we can qualify for the 2011 wc.

Welcome to the group and yes, the rise of rugby in the sub-continent (helped by British & Australian Asians exposed to the wonders of rugby returning to the homeland of their ancestors to spread the word) has been well documented in the rugby press here! One thing about modern rugby, there is always room for more people!

Yes I remembered there was ( I think ) a Kiwi coaching the Indian national side 2 or 3 three years ago. His intention was to lift India from their low ranking and develop them into a better rugby side. I can see now they are making a promising start to their sporting history.

plus you guys have a huge population and a lot of players to choose from eventually!

hmm china, usa, india the big three of the future?

<div class='quotemain'>hmm china, usa, india the big three of the future? [/b]

Not in any of our lifetimes.
[/b][/quote]

Well possibly USA will do good in the near future. I'd say maybe in 20 years time they'll be a huge threat to tier 1 nations. ;)

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>hmm china, usa, india the big three of the future? [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well possibly USA will do good in the near future. I'd say maybe in 20 years time they'll be a huge threat to tier 1 nations. ;)

[/b][/quote]

Proberbly only England, being as they're f***ing useless.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>hmm china, usa, india the big three of the future? [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Proberbly only England, being as they're f***ing useless.
[/b][/quote]

Doubt it... I'd say that both China and India have more potential of making it big in world rugby purely because the US sports calender is already so heavily over-crowded. Too many big time professional sports for it to ever make it big enough for them to be a threat. Whereas in China and India it's really just Soccer or Cricket respectively.

I'm definately looking forward to a more competative international rugby landscape in the future though! One that could slowly begin to gain ground on soccer - that way people everywhere could choose between the girls international game and the MAN'S game :D :p .

Welcome to the group and yes, the rise of rugby in the sub-continent (helped by British & Australian Asians exposed to the wonders of rugby returning to the homeland of their ancestors to spread the word) has been well documented in the rugby press here! One thing about modern rugby, there is always room for more people!
[/b]

thanks for the welcome. rugby is 1 sport that can really take off in india. i think as a nation which started playing intl matches in rugby from around 2004, india has done well upto now. although 2011 wc qualification dreaming could be over the top as of now, but i think india can make it into the 2015 wc considering the rugby development out here. i think the rugby wc 2007 would be televised out here in india and i am looking forward to watch it.

Yes I remembered there was ( I think ) a Kiwi coaching the Indian national side 2 or 3 three years ago. ................................[/b]
Do you guys have to take the credit for everything!!!! :D

Proberbly only England, being as they're f***ing useless.[/b]
But they dont count as a tier1 nations anymore do they? ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

thanks for the welcome. rugby is 1 sport that can really take off in india. i think as a nation which started playing intl matches in rugby from around 2004, india has done well upto now. although 2011 wc qualification dreaming could be over the top as of now, but i think india can make it into the 2015 wc considering the rugby development out here. i think the rugby wc 2007 would be televised out here in india and i am looking forward to watch it.
[/b][/quote]

Good on ya amit. It's great to hear of a rugby supporter, especially from where you come from and I will definitely be watching out for India as they develop their rugby. Do some...or should I say plenty of your countryman have the physical appearance like Dalip Singh? I heard he is an Indian but man he is huge.

1943377669.jpg

For those of you who have never seen him before, here is the big man...the people in the background gives a clear sense of scale.

Wow, thats the biggest indian ive ever seen.
Refreshing sight from the ones at the dairy.

He's otherwise known as The Great Khali from the wrestling, somewhere around 7'2" and 400 pounds... or 2.2m and 190kg.

Good on ya amit. It's great to hear of a rugby supporter, especially from where you come from and I will definitely be watching out for India as they develop their rugby. Do some...or should I say plenty of your countryman have the physical appearance like Dalip Singh? I heard he is an Indian but man he is huge.

1943377669.jpg

For those of you who have never seen him before, here is the big man...the people in the background gives a clear sense of scale.
[/b]

thanks for the welcome. dalip singh is also known as the great khali in wrestling and he is the 1st indian wrestler in wwe. looking at the popularity of wwe in india & indias ability to produce some huge men, it was only a matter of time before an indian wrestler came in wwe. india, has a history of producing huge men, the only difference is that they dont take too much into other sports. "kusthi"(a indian sport similar to boxing played in akharas(rings)) is what the huge men play.

looking at rugby, it is very similar to indian sports and it is 1 sport which can really take off in india. we have been making rapid strides and in 2015, hopefully we can qualify for the wc.

yeh the dude in longest yard...he had some crack up subtitle lines "..now i dont have to stab you"

but yup...it wont be long in new zealand either until we have some class indian players in our provincial scene..im telling you ive played with a few indians and pakistanis in age grade football..and they can hold there own on the field...its cool too coz the cultural diversities in auckland is strong..we got chinese,japanese,koreans,somalians,kenyans,iraqi's all having a crack at it in the social club scene....wants the popularity generates abit more we gonna have pretty good mix of players outthere...hey who knows..with the japs we got running around we may have our first japanese allblack in the next 20 years...who knows..20years before jonah arrived we had one proud polynesian boy running the wings for the abs and that was b.g williams

go hard india!

hmm china, usa, india the big three of the future?
[/b]

First post, hooray!

I'd have to say the involvement and growth of the USA will always be hampered by American Football. With the gross amount of cash thrown towards the largest and most genetically gifted athletes in the USA< rugby will always be deprived of these players.

If American Football were replaced by Rugby in the US? Then they'd take over, down to nation size and amount of popularity and funding their major sports get.

Right now, they prefer the pads and throwing the ball forward...Pity, really.

It is interesting when people talk about nations having the potential to becoming powerhouses in twenty odd years.

Because if anything in the last twenty years there has been a decline in top nations.

In the '70s Wales was one of the best sides and even Scotland had a strong team.

Nowadays both sides have kind of dropped out of the top ranks.

It is fine to talk about these "smaller" nations starting to improve but seriously I am very doubtful of anything happening from it.

Shame!

Latest posts