Watching games

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Do you go to the stadium, watch at home, alone or with friends, or do you go to a pub, again, alone or with friends? Do you have a "ritual" of sorts?

I rarely get the chance to go to the stadium nowadays, so most of my following is through tv. I'd say 40% of the time i watch at home, 60% at the pub.
RC and 6N mostly pubs, Leinster games 100% at my local irish joint, and super rugby depends on the time it's being broadcasted and whether my SA/AUS/NZ friends are interested or not.
Several 8 am games in SR for me, so i got no choice but to watch those at home.

Excluding attending the actual game, my preferred setting is probably at the pub with mates from different nationalities. Helps to reduce the bias and increases the (hopefuly friendly) banter.

When i watch at home i generally do so alone. If it's not an Argentina/Jaguares game i generally check TRF whenever there is a controversial call to eliminate my bias.

Last edited:
I think the majority of South Africans will say they watch it while having a braai...

For me I watch it mostly at home, usually with friends or family. Once a year, me and my brothers take my dad to watch a Springbok game at the stadium, and make a whole weekend of it, because the closest stadium is 300km away.

Internationals and Finals/Semi-Finals at Pub with mates, everything else at home with a Moody girlfriend because I've used up all the planner on rugby :D :D

Apparently I'm the last bastion of traditional rugby supporter! At around half of my rugby watching is down the road at my local rugby club (the more astute here may be able to guess the team!). As I refuse to pay for sports channels as does my local, the rest of my rugby watching is made up of terrestrially broadcast internationals (50/50 between pub and home), AP highlights (home) and the odd streamed game / highlights package online (home again).

Maybe the previous responses aren't typical of the forum as a whole, but of those posters who don't have anything to do with their local club, I'd be interested to hear why not.

Watch pretty much all of mine at home on the TV (God bless the Chromecast!).

If there's an event like the 6N or the RWC I'll head to the pub, or have mates over but I generally prefer to watch at home as I'm a saddo and like to see all of what's going on - same reason I prefer watching on TV to watching at the stadium. Atmosphere is great and all that, but you miss a lot there.

If I'm in Dublin when Leinster are playing Im invariably in the RDS, I'm in Galway at the moment though so going to get a few lads to head to the pub for the game unfortunately they're not too keen on rugby but I've managed to convince them to head in for El Classico early!

My favourite setting after being there is with friends having a few beers in one of our gaffs.

Watch pretty much all of mine at home on the TV (God bless the Chromecast!).

If there's an event like the 6N or the RWC I'll head to the pub, or have mates over but I generally prefer to watch at home as I'm a saddo and like to see all of what's going on - same reason I prefer watching on TV to watching at the stadium. Atmosphere is great and all that, but you miss a lot there.

Pretty much this.

And if the game turns out to be crap you can switch over, to a game Sale isn't playing in ;)

I live pretty much in a football area, so pubs tend to stick to that other than internationals.

Will go Live when I can for Tigers.

Maybe the previous responses aren't typical of the forum as a whole, but of those posters who don't have anything to do with their local club, I'd be interested to hear why not.
Distance and time zones, but i get what you mean. Miss that a lot to be honest.

At home alone on TV, unfortunately. There's supposed to be a pub in a neighbouring town that shows rugby, but I've never heard back from the guy who wanted to tell me the name.

I am playing most weekends, so rarely get to go to or watch live games. I will always record every AP/International game from the TV and watch them later (occasionally a Pro12/Top14 game too if I can fit the TV time in!)

Watching the recorded games can be a joy sometimes, as I can fast forward the dead ball time. Plus, Sunday fixtures really help to make for a good Sunday afternoon on the sofa nursing my old body after playing (and drinking) the previous day.

As for my watching live habits: Like @RedruthRFC I am a staunch supporter of my club, so if I am not playing it means I will always go and watch the 1st XV play.

But I will get to a couple of Wasps matches a year, and a couple of Quins games too because the wife treacherously supports those colourful queens. As Wasps share the pitch with a football team, it seems they have more Sunday fixtures than most, which works well for someone like me who plays on the Saturday.

Another watching live games preference I have when watching live games is to book seats behind the posts at ground level. I will tend to re-watch the match the next day to pick up on the details I will miss, but love the live version of seeing moves and positioning happening in front of me across the pitch, and of course tries being scored right in front of you is a great part of the atmosphere to feel closely involved with.

I do wonder about this sometimes. Would support and attendance be greater if the professional club games were played at different times to when local/amateurs play? How could this work?
I say this also, because most of the lads that play at my club will not really watch AP/Euro matches due to playing and drinking commitments, but are avid watchers of Super rugby because it is on early Saturday morning and is a great way to fired up for their own match in a few hours time. Now I am not suggesting that AP clubs play at 8am Saturday! But wondering if there should or could be more Saturday evening games or even a complete change in traditional culture and change days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder about this sometimes. Would support and attendance be greater if the professional club games were played at different times to when local/amateurs play? How could this work?

This is one of the reasons that the Cornish Pirates (20 miles or so down the road from me) give for holding the vast majority of their home games on a Sunday afternoon. Judging by those you see at their games, I don't believe that it attracts a significant number of players who would be unable to make Saturday afternoons. The more significant contribution is from people like myself who would be watching their own club on a Saturday, but enjoy a change of scenery on a Sunday.

From a selfish point of view, Saturday night games would be great. We have Friday night games, why not Saturday? I wonder if this is something that is dictated by the TV companies.

Latest posts