Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Literally the best ref in the game atm, imo.

There's a severe lack of good referees at the top level atm, the game will be worse off without him.

Tigs Man

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation

Wigan

Heart breaking

mania

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Samoa

thanks barnes. u taught kiwi's...
1) to chill the fk out
2) rugby's only a game

been a privilege to have you ref our games. .

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Tasman

Interesting the he is of the same opinion as me as regards the TMO.

In Barnes’s view it would also be helpful to have more, rather than less, input from the television match official up in the stand. “I would expand it so we can check whatever we want without necessarily stopping the game. If, in a crucial moment, I can ask: ‘Is that a forward pass?’ and someone can tell me the answer in three seconds we don’t need to stop the game for 30-40 seconds. It’s like a scrum-half constantly talking to his No 10.” If such support had been on tap in 2007, it would certainly have saved him a world of angst.

Expand the role without increasing the interruptions

If the referee can take the word of an AR that a pass was forward or a player was offside without having to go to a video review, why can he not also take the word of the TMO, who is more often than not in a better position to see.

Old Hooker

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Literally the best ref in the game atm, imo.

There's a severe lack of good referees at the top level atm, the game will be worse off without him.
He's a good few years younger than Owens. Always stylish to bow out at the top with your audience wanting more.

ncurd

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

Its a shame I feel like the (mostly unjust) critsism he's endured over the years have led him to not have a hype machine that he then uses as a cruch for poor decision making.
Always strived to do the best job he can without wanting to be the center of attention. Even the complete nonsense 20minuites ET a few years back never felt like he was doing it for his own limelight just trying to make sure the game was reffed correctly.
Sadly the same can't be said of other highly regarded refs.

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

thanks barnes. u taught kiwi's...
1) to chill the fk out
2) rugby's only a game

been a privilege to have you ref our games. .
Don’t be surprised if Barnes is picked to ref the final if NZ get there and of course England don’t. An apt farewell to the game.

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

One of the best communicators I've seen ref. Not perfect but reffing rugby us outrageously hard. Always managed to get his point across without any silly quips etc.

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

One of the best communicators I've seen ref. Not perfect but reffing rugby us outrageously hard. Always managed to get his point across without any silly quips etc.
Yep, loved how he told Fourie Du Preez off in that RWC QF v Wales:

“Why don’t you play instead of shouting at me.”

bushytop

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

London Welsh

Gutted about this, him and Nigel are the best (& Nige obvs never gets to ref Wales). Always happy when I see Wayne’s announced as the ref for a big Wales game, confident that the game will be allowed to flow and decisions will be consistent.

He should be given a role that provides guidance for all other top class refs.

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Tasman

So what is your favourite Barnes reffing moment?

Mine is when he red carded Dylan Hartley for calling him a "******* cheat". The look on Hartley's face was priceless... What? Who? Me?

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

So what is your favourite Barnes reffing moment?

Mine is when he red carded Dylan Hartley for calling him a "******* cheat". The look on Hartley's face was priceless... What? Who? Me?
Takes some serious nards to straight red a guy for a non-violent act, let alone a captain, let alone in the first half...let alone in a prem final!

Tigs Man

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation

Wigan

Shocking ref.

Dan54

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Turned into a bloody great ref I believe, we need more of his ilk!

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Interesting the he is of the same opinion as me as regards the TMO.

In Barnes’s view it would also be helpful to have more, rather than less, input from the television match official up in the stand. “I would expand it so we can check whatever we want without necessarily stopping the game. If, in a crucial moment, I can ask: ‘Is that a forward pass?’ and someone can tell me the answer in three seconds we don’t need to stop the game for 30-40 seconds. It’s like a scrum-half constantly talking to his No 10.” If such support had been on tap in 2007, it would certainly have saved him a world of angst.

Expand the role without increasing the interruptions

If the referee can take the word of an AR that a pass was forward or a player was offside without having to go to a video review, why can he not also take the word of the TMO, who is more often than not in a better position to see.
Am I missing something, because Nigel Owens has been doing this for years already. Seen plenty of occasions when he's asked the tmo to check forward passes etc. while the game continues. Is this not already allowed?

Back on topic, shame to see Barnes retiring. Agree that he's easily the best ref in the world atm. Nige' s age is catching up with him, whilst a lot of the rest are mediocre are best.

Staphylococcus Aureus

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

Cardiff

Yeah, he grated a bit at first, but once I got used to his 'ways' I took quite the shine to him. In retrospect, I can't remember him having a true stinker. Not as good as Nige though.

Tranceformer

Academy Player
Reaction score
Gutted about this, him and Nigel are the best (& Nige obvs never gets to ref Wales). Always happy when I see Wayne’s announced as the ref for a big Wales game, confident that the game will be allowed to flow and decisions will be consistent.

He should be given a role that provides guidance for all other top class refs.
If I wear welsh I’d be disappointed too. He love Wales does Barnes .

Gave some serious decisions for Wales against Ireland over the years

Staphylococcus Aureus

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

Cardiff

Whoa, he gave quite a not inconsiderable amount against Wales too. His reputation on the nice side of the Severn is not untarnished.
But, as I said, he takes some getting used to, sad to see him go.

bushytop

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

London Welsh

If I wear welsh I’d be disappointed too. He love Wales does Barnes .

Gave some serious decisions for Wales against Ireland over the years
Not just against Ireland either...