• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wearing Football boots for rugby?

winger11

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So I am not liking any of the current range of boots and all last years adizeros and incurzas that I like (the blue ones) are sold out/ out of stock. Just wondering if I would be alright wearing a pair of soccer boots being that I play on the wing. e.g will they rip easily and not offer enought support?

A few of my friemds told me that some pros even wear soccer boots.

18816.jpg

If it makes any difference I am 80kg and play at a high level with one match a week and three trainings.

Gonna assume by your username that you're a winger? :p
Generally football boots have served me fine playing in the backs, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Last time I bought boots was in Germany, so obviously no Rugby boots to be found out there, so I'm currently using plastic moulded studs. They're pretty good to run in and they're ok regulation wise so long as they aren't worn and sharp.

You'll be right mate. I exclusively wore football boots the whole time I played, they didn't rip or anything. Synthetic boots don't have as long a life as leather but I always preferred them as they were much lighter.

As long as you have proper studs you should be grand. With the way pitches get here, you'll be sliding about soon enough if you don't have decent studs.

As long as you have proper studs you should be grand. With the way pitches get here, you'll be sliding about soon enough if you don't have decent studs.

Yea I can always change em when the weather turns. Suppose I'll go for them guys, thanks for the advice

This.
Does anyone wear the 'high ankle' boots any more? I know they were used more by forwards but it's been quite a long time since I got up close and personal with a forwards footwear, so unsure if they're still actually used.

This.
Does anyone wear the 'high ankle' boots any more? I know they were used more by forwards but it's been quite a long time since I got up close and personal with a forwards footwear, so unsure if they're still actually used.

Only Das when she has the hose out chasing her husband.......................

This.

I have never ever seen someone wear ankle high boots

I have never ever seen someone wear ankle high boots

It is an age thing....we used to wear them and had to use dubbin on them to keep them soft enough to put on your feet and the water out....mind you the ball was a heavy old leather thing not the semi plastic thing like is used now!! Those were the days................

This.

Just scanned Lovell Rugby and it seems not. I knew a couple who wore them when I played, I never did.

Speaking of which, the world of rugby boots has changed since I last played. Years ago you would be lucky to get away with all the bright colours you can get now.

It is an age thing....we used to wear them and had to use dubbin on them to keep them soft enough to put on your feet and the water out....mind you the ball was a heavy old leather thing not the semi plastic thing like is used now!! Those were the days................

Haha suppose I am too young, my generation was the one that grew up idolising Gav and his shiney Gold / silver boots.

Just scanned Lovell Rugby and it seems not. I knew a couple who wore them when I played, I never did.

Speaking of which, the world of rugby boots has changed since I last played. Years ago you would be lucky to get away with all the bright colours you can get now.
I got adventurous and bought a pair of half white, half black ones. Great pair of boots, running out of steam after 18 or so months but I reckon I'll push em to Christmas.

When I played, we used to have to make our own boots. We'd split up, and hunt some boar (ideally) or deer, then quickly fashion a pair of boots (I still have nightmares about the time we could find nothing, so we ended up a scrum half short, but with 'perfect boots'). We'd then use a rock as a ball, and return to the clubhouse, which was actually a hole in't middle of road.

Haha suppose I am too young, my generation was the one that grew up idolising Gav and his shiney Gold / silver boots.

Crikey Gavin Hastings in shiny boots.............?!!

He was not even born when I was playing.................well it seemed like it!!

I got adventurous and bought a pair of half white, half black ones. Great pair of boots, running out of steam after 18 or so months but I reckon I'll push em to Christmas.

Remember taking the **** out of my brother who bought a silver and red pair of Reeboks. I was happy with my Gilbert black ones

Latest posts