• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Weekly Training Schedule

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Hi! I'm 17 years old and in my school's team. Thing is, officially we have only one, 1 1/2-hour session per week; which is way too little to settle with but we can train on other days too provided that a teacher is present (note that we train on the school's field and we can't enter if there's no teacher to watch over us). And the weekly training session that I planned is as the following:

Tuesday: 4:00pm - 5:30pm (Drill training)
Thursday: 4:00pm - 5:30pm (Fitness training)
Saturday: 8:30am - 11:00pm (High intensity resistance training)
*Session may be longer if needed

(Note that the official session is on Tuesday)

We have a tournament in late February (I know we have a short time to train, but what can we do?) and we have no official coach. We're usually trained by Ex-students or by seniors (in this case, me). My question is, would the given schedule be enough? What should be changed?

Also, our curriculum system requires every student to attend activities on at least two days (max three days) that is on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday which is why the training session is pretty short.

Last edited:
I would cut down the resistance training for more skills/drills 2-3 weeks before the tournament. Weights are great as a team tool, but with that few training sessions it makes more sense to work on the team drills when you're all available

Personally with that little time is get some fitness drills that incorporate communication and defence organisation. There are loads on line.

Being able to work is a team will have much better benefit than a bit of fitness in the short timescales.

Latest posts