• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Weight training and 'toning' up

F

Fa'atau82

Hey guys

I have a moderate physique (i'm not flabby) and would like to 'tone up' my arms, chest, shoulders and thighs. I used to use weights about 4 years ago on a proper machine which is where my physique sort of stayed at but have no idea what i'm doing really to get the best result with dumbells and things.

When i say tone up, i mean not to have huge bulging muscles, but to have more solid or firmer muscles. So really what i'm asking for is some quick guide to what amount of weight to use (for lighter reps) and maybe some exercises or techniques. I know some already, but not for my thighs.

Thanks for your help

Gary

I've heard that doing more sets of weights you can lift without that much problem is better than weights that're just on the edge of your lifting capacity. Not sure if that made sense, but ah well :p
I think it's because you can do more sets with more reps in them, which is good for toning biceps/triceps when using dumbells and stuff. An example would eb if you can do 3 sets of 10 reps with a 15KG dumbell, it's e better than doing something like 1 set of 10 on a 25KG one. Not 100% sure if that's right, but it's what people have told me anyway. Obviously you gotta make sure that you balance your exercise, because for example your bicep won't get stronger unless your tricep does too (you probably know that anyway)

I;m not an expert, but my sister's boyfriend is a bit of a fitness and karate guru so he's explained a few stuff to me in the past.

Btw I;m after a cheapish set of dumbellsmyself, my friend has said Argos does a decent set, but I haven't seen any so far. Any chance you've got any idea where a good place to get them?

Well, here's a good idea. You know the old Robinson's sqauash bottles? the really large ones with the handle? I sometimes use those, cos they have handles and you can fill them with sand, water or whatever.

460368.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 29 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Low weights high reps for muscle tone, like 5kg's - 10kg's do in sets of 20.[/b]

yeah he says it's a lot better than I do :p

Robinsons bottles hey? That's actually a pretty good idea tbf, cheap too. I'll keep an eye out for some of them.
Btw, anybody know what kind of exercises are best for toning the abs (apart from sit ups)?

As far as i can tell, the actual 'toning' is a myth. How to develop more defined muscles is basically to lose body fat, which covers up the natural anatomy, but we all have a natural anatomy. So, to actually tone up you need to hit the gym and lose body fat, not weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. Then with specific exercises to develop muscles they will look more defined, like with abs, you will need to lose the belly fat completely and then use sit-ups and those kinds of exercises to actually make them take on a developed shape.

My biceps are ok, i need to work my triceps (bit flabby) my pectorials (pecs), lats, thighs and abs. See if you lose weight, you don't gain definition you just become shapeless and underweight.. you need to lose fat, eat proteins and the right carbs and then use that nutrition to help build up definition of your muscles. You don't need steroids. they just make you look like a hulk but you go crazy and decrease the size of your dick in record time!

Hahaha small dick making steroids seems that way because users other body parts are humungous. I've got a workmate who took some but he said never again but for f$#! sake he's a bloody Tongan they're naturally big ******** anyway.

Back to the topic on hand, I've never been ripped but I have goten pretty muscly a few years ago and it was from doing heavy weights with low reps but when I stopped doing it my body fat increased rapidly. My mate Sione used to bench 160kg he's only 90kg but he's been working out non stop for 4 years. He's ripped as but now he only lifts 20kg but does heaps of reps because he wants definition instead of muscle.

If you want definition I'd roll with light weight heaps of reps.

Yeah, i suppose you'd do high reps with 4-10kg weights and you'd find like i am finding that it becomes easier of course.. so just up the weight gradually. Looking at myself today in the mirror, i have found that my biceps are quite large anyway. I have spent the last 6 years using 1.5kg gunmetal flasks in my job (it's how to make dentures) and when you are lifting them around it has actually given me a start to nice biceps!

I have always had muscular calves and thighs (i'm a very fast sprinter and generally fast twitch muscle type), although they are a bit flabby i can actually flex them all. I used to be able to flex my pecs too although they have never been big, so i guess the pecs and abs is what i need to get.. i need to lose some belly blubber but the rest is ok. You know how you just want to be a nice shape in clothes, that's all i really need as i'm only really going to be a social rugby player by choice. I'm not going to be dump tackling Alesana Tuilagi anytime soon!

I think someone said to me anyway that most rugby players are just more firm muscle, rather than heavily defined muscle. I guess this is a really good time in my life to get down the gym and workout.. i used to enjoy it and have my own machine and that's when i found i was getting really hench.. prob was i was not fitting i my clothes and i was skint!

Not entirely impressed by anything posted thus far (no offense to anyone, though). But your third post starting with "As far as I can tell..." and whoever referred you to a seperate site are the most beneficial. Go to a weightlifting or body building site to get this information. There are more effective ways to get built than there are to skin a cat (old-person saying). Your diet is by far the most underrated thing. If you lift, you will likely notice some difference. If you lift and overhaul your eating habits, you will definitely see noticeable differences in just a couple months. Best of luck...

high reps low weight for toning is pretty much an urban myth, the best way to get the look you are after is to eat a diet high in protein, low in saturated fat, but quite high in "good" fats and to control carbs. For example only eat large amounts carbs in the morning and post training, this will help to drive them into muscle where there stored as glycogen rathetr then let they be wasted and stored as fat. Try to eat "brown" carbs, as these will burn slowere and give a longer suatained burst of energy. Simple carbs should only be eaten immediatley after training.

On the training front tyr to concentrate on alternating between low impact cardio (x trainer, jogging, cycling) at a steady pace for between half an hour to an hour and weight training concentrating on compound movements such as bench presses, militairy presses, squats, deaddlifts in a rep range of 8 - 12. These exercises will use the most muscle groups and burn the most calories, which will aid your fat loss and keep your meatabolism high for a long time after training.

Maybe look at supplementing with soem omega 3 oils as these are great for burnign fat and also some for of protein supplement for after training.

Latest posts