• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Weight Training

G

GetMoney818

Hey guys, this next monday, February 3rd. im going on a diet/fasting(Im Christian).During this fasting period im not going to eat meat of any kind (chicken,pork,beef. etc) or any dairy products of any sort. im about 170-180 lbs and want to slim down about 30-40 lbs in 40 days. along with the diet/fasting, i was planning on working out ( jogging, running ) every saturday and i plan to run/jog 2 miles each of these saturdays. Will this plan work?
or does anyone have any kind of advice or help? any training regiment suggested?
thanks.

Whats your %bf (bodyfat)? Or if you don't know, can you estimate? Are you simply fat, fat with muscle or athleticly built?

It is important to keep up your protein intake while minimizing your calories. Keep your carbohydrates as complex as possible and absolutely minimize your fat intake.

If you keep up your proteins you will only lose fat, not muscle. If you start working out intensly and you minimize your food intake in general (including proteins), your body will consume your muscles before consuming your fat, which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve in the long run.

Unless you are VERY short and VERY fat at 180, losing 30-40 Lbs in 40 days will make you look something like this:

155113__machinist_l.jpg

In case you haven't seen The Machinist, that's Christian Bale from the newer Batman movies. He's possibly the most extreme method actor of all time, and in that shot was barely above 100 Lbs. It is possible for you to lose that much weight, but definitely not healthy (yeah, look at how defined his six pack is. Super sexy guys like that get all the ladies), and no matter how many protein shakes you down you will lose a substantial amount of muscle and strength. If you even attempt something like that, I'd really have to call your capacity to make rational decisions into question.

Gaining or losing weight is simple, just eat clean and put yourself at a caloric deficit or surplus. Getting stronger, bigger, faster is just as simple, and we can help you with that, but I can tell you that it doesn't involve a starvation diet and lots of cardio.

As for the whole lent thing or whatever it is you're doing, can't you just give up alcohol or sex like everyone else does?

Erm, losing weight.. the best way is to eat more then 3 times a day, of a smaller quantity each time, and eat healthier, not necessarily too much less.

Also, 2 miles a week isn't very much exercise. Weight training would be good to keep your muscles, but you need to maintain protein intake as well so eat nuts or drink soya milk or stuff.

you need to maintain protein intake, but dont touch protein shakes, they are not good for you.

you need to maintain protein intake, but dont touch protein shakes, they are not good for you. [/b]

Bullshit!

A neg rep coming your way for throwing about scare stories (or should that be scare statements) with nothing to back them up!
Idiot.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with protein shakes. I hate having this arguments week in-week out with utter dipshits who know nothing.
Thousands (literally!) of professional athletes takes protein shakes.
This, however, is not to say that they are a meal replacement. No sir. But a whey protein shake within 30 minutes after training is highly guaranteed. It helps promote protein synthesis and trust me - your muscles will thank you.

For optimal recovery, you want to have something literally as soon as possible after you finish training.
That's where i find supplements really come in handy - i find that waiting to get home before i have something to eat is a really good way to screw my training up for the rest of the week.

Bullshit!

A neg rep coming your way for throwing about scare stories (or should that be scare statements) with nothing to back them up!
Idiot.[/b]

I heard that protein shakes make you angry. Care to comment? :unsure:

I'm not sure what else you want.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic so i thought, "better tell it like it is"
So i did...the man knows what he's talking about.
I completely agree with him.

Uhh yeah, I was being sarcastic :)

Mainly because you called that poor n00b 'dipshit'and 'idiot'; and gave him a neg rep for not doing his homework, while you're in the exact same boat.

I am however open to new information proving that supplements are health.

Until then i'm against them

I neg repped him becuase he threw around such statements as,

'...don't touch protein shakes, they are not good for you.'

Thus leading the member who originally posted the question to believe exactly that. When it's not true.
Whey protein supplements IS good for you becuase if you are - for example - a bodybuilder then getting the protein into your body as quickly as you can after training is essential. This isn't easy to do without a shake: they are accessible, cheap and 1 even 2 a day isn't going to do you any harm - there has been no proof around to suggest that it does.
So, no i'm not in exactly the same boat. I DO NOT discourage people from taking protein shakes. I DO NOT claim that they are bad for you.
Yes, too much of anything is bad for you, you can't just take the stuff like you would a meal avery few hours - but in it's right amounts it's very helpful.

So i stand by what i said, and i believe i stand justified because not only did he make a stupid statement (in what i believe to be a form of scaremongering) but he failed to back up the statement he made. That is what angered me.
That is what made me call him an idiot.

What most people fail to realize is that protein is a SUPPLEMENT. It is meant to do just that, supplement a healthy diet. For the average joe, protein shakes aren't really needed as they can get all they need from a balanced diet. Higher level athletes though will require more. It may depend on position too. A winger likely won't do as much weight training as a tight 5 player because they simply don't need that much muscle. A prop on the other hand needs a lot of protein to just be able to maintain all of the muscle that they have, or to help gain more. Shakes are a great way to get more protein in without a lot of calories.

Do you need shakes to be a great athlete? Absolutely not, but they sure can help. Especially for a guy that won't be able to eat meat.

P.S. If you are going to take protein, do your research. There are a lot of companies out there that sell pretty shitty products. Make sure you are getting something that is high quality.

I think Mean Machine raised some very good points there.
You have to be a saint with food in order for supplements to work effectly. Since GetMoney is going on this 'diet' for a while he should not take sups until it's over. Supplements CAN NOT be your primary source of protein.
Why?
Because they are NOT healthy. Yes they're good for muscle building, which they do. But by no means can you say they're 'good' for you. It's refined in a factory and dehydrated to be a powder. It hard for your body to process. FACT. therefore putting stress on vital organs, which are trying to hang in there for another 50 years! You don't hear doctors saying 'Geez boet your collon ain't looking to bright. Here drink these sups!'

I know too much of something is never good. Hell I even read that some guy died after drinking too water at once.

Supplements are safe. That's why they still on the shelves. Like fast food, safe. Not health. Safe

Hey guys, this next monday, February 3rd. im going on a diet/fasting(Im Christian).During this fasting period im not going to eat meat of any kind (chicken,pork,beef. etc) or any dairy products of any sort. im about 170-180 lbs and want to slim down about 30-40 lbs in 40 days. along with the diet/fasting, i was planning on working out ( jogging, running ) every saturday and i plan to run/jog 2 miles each of these saturdays. Will this plan work?
or does anyone have any kind of advice or help? any training regiment suggested?
thanks.
[/b]

Hello GetMoney,

If you are planning to take away all dairy and meat sources of proteins you MUST make up your protein intake with vegetable proteins like beans and legumes. If you are wanting to loose 30 - 40 lbs of body weight in these 40 days (not advised :rahh: ) without the intake of protein and the cardio you stated (i.e. jogging/running), you are most certainly going to loose a large majority of your muscle mass and burn very little fat. I would recommend that you stick to loosing 2 lbs per week. This way it will ensure you are not losing any valuable muscle mass and the only thing burning from your body is unwanted body fat.

Taking a major macronutrient out of your diet is what we call in the industry a "fad", yes sure it may show a difference when you stand on a set of scales, but as for people who are wanting to be successful athletes or those wanting to regularly play a sport i.e. Rugby - these are the people WHO REALLY NEED to meet their daily intake of protein.

Your weight is currently approx 175lbs. This means that AS A MINIMUM you MUST take in 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight each day - working out at 175grams of protein each day - AT LEAST (This is a very rough guide, every person is different and has different needs) without this BASIC amount of proteins your muscles will deteriorate through lack of nourishment. You may find this slightly tricky if only getting your protein from vegetable proteins so I would suggest that you supplement your diet with a vegetarian protein supplement - Twinlab's Vege Fuel is good - BUT ONLY UNTIL YOU ARE OFF YOUR FASTING PERIOD, then gradually introduce meat and dairy back into your diet and if you are wanting to continue taking supplements reach for the Whey Protein.

If you would like any help throughout your fasting period I would suggest that you contacted me via pm or [email protected]

Nutrioutlet
CPT, Professional Nutrition and Supplement advisor for nutrioutlet.com

Erm...i thought it was circa 1.2 to 1.4 grams of Protein per Kilogram for endurance, circa 1.4 to 1.8 for muscle mass increase? not per pound..

175 grams of protein would be a MASSIVE amount and difficult to attain - not that extra (healthy) protein is that harmful for the body, but as Steve-o said, even water in excess is harmful - dilutes the salts in the brain and causes it to swell and kill you.

i'm 191lbs and try to get up to the 150s of protein when i'm weight training - otherwise i keep it to about 113.

Seems to be working fine for me - no muscle wasteage or anything like that..

Also, just for the record the unhealthiest topic on this thread is the fact that you want to lose 30-40 lbs in 40 days....madness!

You only have to give up one thing for Lent - give up kitten punching like me!! :) - very nasty habit

Latest posts