• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Well done South Africa

Can't help but notice a few Kiwis coming in here and making comments that aren't needed at all, nice one.

I hope the Saffies don't suffer too much at the hands of the new selection policy.

Congratulations South Africa! Deserve victory B)
Solid team, from the begin till the end...great players!
For me they've just confirm the S14 final this year was a rwc predict...
Hier kom die bokke!!! :cheers:

For me they've just confirm the S14 final this year was a rwc predict...
[/b]

As throwaway as that comment may seem, it's actually ironic which teams made the final.

The final of the Southern Hemisphere's biggest domestic competition was contested by 2 South African teams. The national team proceeded to make the final.

Similarly, the final of the North's biggest domestic competition involved 2 English sides. However unexpected, the national team also made the final.

Mabye just shows the value of experience - the knowledge of what it takes to grind out a tournament win and have experience of a major final.

Can't help but notice a few Kiwis coming in here and making comments that aren't needed at all, nice one.

I hope the Saffies don't suffer too much at the hands of the new selection policy.
[/b]
I would assume many Kiwis would be ingrained to have a certain mislike of the Saffas over thier racial issues, like how they used to refuse to play against All Black teams with Maoris in it....of course the comments are petty but I would assume that's where they would come from...

Some nice posts in here. My aunt in SA phoned me on Saturday and said that the newspaper and milk top bottles in Jo'Burg were gold/green for the day.

We watched the final in O'Neills pub and the atmosphere was electric. I totally broke down at the final whistle, and I still haven't taken off my rugby top yet!! :p

It wasn't a pretty game, Habana wasn't as good as he had been but it was always going to be a tough game.

I agree with what the other Bokka on here said about the government. Rugby is more than a sport in SA, it's brought people together socially. It's so good to look at the squad now compared to 95 when I think Chester Williams was the only black player in the official team photo.

Only let down was seeing Mbeki in the crowd, hate him. But so proud of the boys, Saturday was the best sporting day of my life so far. :bravo:

Oh and congrats to England also, no-one expected them to get to the final after the 36-0 pool defeat.

Some nice posts in here. My aunt in SA phoned me on Saturday and said that the newspaper and milk top bottles in Jo'Burg were gold/green for the day.

We watched the final in O'Neills pub and the atmosphere was electric. I totally broke down at the final whistle, and I still haven't taken off my rugby top yet!! :p

It wasn't a pretty game, Habana wasn't as good as he had been but it was always going to be a tough game.

I agree with what the other Bokka on here said about the government. Rugby is more than a sport in SA, it's brought people together socially. It's so good to look at the squad now compared to 95 when I think Chester Williams was the only black player in the official team photo.

Only let down was seeing Mbeki in the crowd, hate him. But so proud of the boys, Saturday was the best sporting day of my life so far. :bravo:

Oh and congrats to England also, no-one expected them to get to the final after the 36-0 pool defeat.
[/b]

Habana was absolutely GREAT on defense though. If it wasn't for his stirling effort, we could've been in some real trouble.

And yeah, I hated seeing Mbeki at the ceremony, primarily because I don't like seeing politicians there, but also because he's such a hypocrite. Wearing a bok jersey and congratulating Jake White on having handpicked an excellent team, and in the next breath saying there are too many white players in the team and the logo is a symbol of apartheid. Wonder if it hurts being so stupid?

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Habana was absolutely GREAT on defense though. If it wasn't for his stirling effort, we could've been in some real trouble.

And yeah, I hated seeing Mbeki at the ceremony, primarily because I don't like seeing politicians there, but also because he's such a hypocrite. Wearing a bok jersey and congratulating Jake White on having handpicked an excellent team, and in the next breath saying there are too many white players in the team and the logo is a symbol of apartheid. Wonder if it hurts being so stupid?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah you make a good point. :cheers:
He is a class A idiot. I remember some comment he made last year regarding the AIDS treatment. Something like they wouldn't fund it because AIDS can be cured with herbal tea! I mean wtf??!! The man baffles me. You think having worked under Mandela he would have some sense of intelligence.

Anyway enough of that idiot..very proud of SA, can't wait for 2011.

Did anyone else notice that the President was much more friendly with the black player then the white players when congradulating them, eg. the white would get a simple handshake where he hugged a few of the blacks.....maybe I am reading too much into it because of the political events in South Africa though....

Well I thought so too, but then he did hug a few of the white players. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there because I don't like him :p His speech in the Boks' changing room was alright - sounded a bit like a recital, but then again all his speeches do. Because they are :p

Congrats to the Springboks, they obviously deserve this cup. I wish they had played against another team for this final though.

Weird rugby nowadays : defence, defence, defence ... <_<

My heartfelt congrats to my beloved Bokke too- you guys made us all immensely proud. Kudos to Danie for that tackle especially. And to think I really didn`t rate him as a no. 8, due to his not being mobile enough to get around the park. Go figure.

But a big congrats to England too. After the defeat in the pool game, every match was like a final for England. And even though it wasn`t pretty at times, last time I checked points were awarded for tries, conversions, penalties and drop goals. And I have yet to see points being awarded in a match for style. Congrats on a great comeback, and thanks for giving us a helluva game in the final.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

He is a class A idiot. I remember some comment he made last year regarding the AIDS treatment. Something like they wouldn't fund it because AIDS can be cured with herbal tea! I mean wtf??!! The man baffles me. You think having worked under Mandela he would have some sense of intelligence.

[/b][/quote]

wells besides all that my bois, i still think it was very rude and unsportmanly of most of the english squad to shake hands with the managers and gordon brown their priminister on the podium then completely blank out the sa president, walkin right past him as if he wasnt even there,, shows that they were not only sore losers, but rude beyond belief and a disgrace to their country... wat u recon?

The only disgrace from anyone on that field was Gordon Brown himself, but that's getting far too political...

I was smashed off my face for the game, but i thank god that i was because at least time went by quickly on such an awful game.

But a HUGE congrats to the saffas!
They were going to win that all the way.

Weird rugby nowadays : defence, defence, defence ... <_<
[/b]

No no - I tell you , The ABs are still developing the New and Improved attacking style to replace the Old Tried and True defensive style. Soon as it is perfected, it will be available for the rest, I think they said it will be out in time for 2011, but then they did say it would be ready in 2007 :huh:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

wells besides all that my bois, i still think it was very rude and unsportmanly of most of the english squad to shake hands with the managers and gordon brown their priminister on the podium then completely blank out the sa president, walkin right past him as if he wasnt even there,, shows that they were not only sore losers, but rude beyond belief and a disgrace to their country... wat u recon?
[/b][/quote]

Gotta agree with you there - it was a disgusting display of bad manners.

Finally Will Greenwood says something worthy of note:

Former World Cup winning and England centre Will Greenwood â€" in his regular column for the Telegraph - praises the Springbok squad for the manner in which they’ve conducted themselves since winning the World Cup.

“South Africa have the bearing of champions. The night after they won the World Cup final, the Springboks were guests of honour at the International Rugby Board's annual dinner in Paris. You would have thought they might have been a bit dishevelled. They could have been forgiven for rolling in a bit wobbly, tired and emotional from their exertions from the night before. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

They were immaculate, controlled and worthy winners of the sport's ultimate trophy. Among the crowd at the dinner were some of rugby's greats. Men like JPR Williams and Gerald Davies. They were amazed by the size of the South Africans, awe-struck by the speed with which the game and the players' physicality has moved on.

Yet even though it is a thoroughly modern game, old school values were on show and the Springboks took time to talk to all of the former players when they were approached. Ten minutes, sometimes 20 were kindly given. Critics of the South Africans talk of arrogance, of a self-belief that often grates. There was nothing like that on show. In fact there was very little behaviour that would have given away that the team had just beaten the very best that the world had to offer over a period of six weeks.â€

With thanks to the Telegraph[/b]