• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Well, my millennium has been made...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 21 2008, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just met Dan Carter. :bleh!: :cheers: :) :lol: :D :p

Oh, and Jimmy Cowan...[/b]
Wow good on you mate!!!!!!!
Thanks for not injuring them...you Welsh folk are a good sport.  How did it go?

LOL! It was awesome, I was just walking passed the castle on the way to the train station and I was like, aaaaaargghhhh it's Dan Carter!!!! I didn't want to bother them for a photo or anything cuz they were just out for a leisurely stroll so I just said hey and wished them luck for Saturday [like they'll need it]. They seemed cool as f***!
Couldn't believe I was taller than him though. And didn't realise Cowan was that tall, he seemed about 6'2/3".
I was absolutely landed after that though, just wanted to go up to everyone in the street and shout I JUST MET DAN CARTER!!
:p
Maybe I'm overplaying this....
I'm talking to a mate from Neath now and he's asking me why I didn't clock him one. xD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 21 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm talking to a mate from Neath now and he's asking me why I didn't clock him one. xD[/b]
Haha...well that is why Jimmy psycho drink angus bar brawler Cowan was with Carter.  A bit like how Richard Loe used to walk around with Lomu.

You should have taken a photo with them...you do realise that when they go out in public they expect to get photos with fans?  They get a bit disappointed when no one is asking.

f***.

;)
Yeah, when he asked why I didn't try anything I was like, he was with Jimmy Cowan, and he looks a mean prick!
What I couldn't believe was that out of the many people around, that no one was taking any notice of them. That really pees me off for some reason, I was thinking, here is the best player in world rugby, a guy who will go down as one of the all-time greats of the game and no one could give two shits.
Hmmm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 21 2008, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f***.

;)
Yeah, when he asked why I didn't try anything I was like, he was with Jimmy Cowan, and he looks a mean prick!
What I couldn't believe was that out of the many people around, that no one was taking any notice of them. That really pees me off for some reason, I was thinking, here is the best player in world rugby, a guy who will go down as one of the all-time greats of the game and no one could give two shits.
Hmmm.[/b]
Well we ignore the AB's as well here in NZ....we just stand at a distance and pretend we are not doing anything but secretly we are having little glances....and then when we are out of earshot we say Thats Dan carter OMG!"

It could also be the fact that people in Wales have no idea who he is.....Carter doesn't play soccer.  <<<<Disclaimer have not had breakfast yet.

It's f***ing awesome when you meet the big guys isn't it?
And it's so easy to do so in cardiff. Walk past the hilton at about 9am and you'll see them in the dining area eating their breakfast, on display infront of the public.
I'm surprised nobody takes any pictures or stands and stares. Everybody looks in as they walk past tho. Lol.

I've been lucky enough to meet loads of world class rugby players in the past.
I used to work in a rugby shop in cardiff and touring players would often come in just for replacement studs, or some tape or something like that and becuase of this i've met quite a few.
My list: -

Dan Carter
Ma'a Nonu
Ali Williams
Rico Gear
Luke McAllister
Leon Macdonald
Kevin Meealamu
Bryan Habana
Victor Matfield
Juan Smith
Matt Giteau
Lote Tuqiri
Chris Latham
Stirling Mortlock

Those guys truly stand out as recognisable names when they walked into my shop.
A bunch of others also come in, but lots were pacific islanders and i don't know many of those players.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting the likes of Lomu, Campese, Carling (ahem), JPR, JJ Williams, Gareth Edwards, Ray Gravelle, Shane Williams, Henson, Alun Wyn Jones and Ian Evans.
Jamie Roberts, Rhys Williams and Jamie Robinson were always in the shop, but they most notably bought welsh rugby jerseys. Lol.

Victor Matfield had to duck LOADS just to get in though the shop door, i was shocked. But out of everyone Nonu and Mortlock made me feel every bit the skinny 72kg runt that i am!
Lol.
My photo with Lomu is hillarious, i'm shaking hands with him and his forearms are almost 3 times the size of mine. Brilliant.

what?????????? and you didn't taunt them and call them names???????????

what's wrong with you :p

Yeah I'm not suprised to hear that, Matfield is the biggest person I've ever seen in person. I still want to see Andries Bekker who holds the record for the tallest Springbok ever at 2.09m!
I hadn't see Mortlock live but he looks an intimidating character. Looks like the kind of person who'll head butt your nose into your skull in a bar fight :lol:

That's nothing... I had Carlos Spencer as a friend on my spare Facebook account.

Yeah!

*scurrys off*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 20 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's f***ing awesome when you meet the big guys isn't it?
And it's so easy to do so in cardiff. Walk past the hilton at about 9am and you'll see them in the dining area eating their breakfast, on display infront of the public.
I'm surprised nobody takes any pictures or stands and stares. Everybody looks in as they walk past tho. Lol.

I've been lucky enough to meet loads of world class rugby players in the past.
I used to work in a rugby shop in cardiff and touring players would often come in just for replacement studs, or some tape or something like that and becuase of this i've met quite a few.
My list: -

Dan Carter
Ma'a Nonu
Ali Williams
Rico Gear
Luke McAllister
Leon Macdonald
Kevin Meealamu
Bryan Habana
Victor Matfield
Juan Smith
Matt Giteau
Lote Tuqiri
Chris Latham
Stirling Mortlock

Those guys truly stand out as recognisable names when they walked into my shop.
A bunch of others also come in, but lots were pacific islanders and i don't know many of those players.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting the likes of Lomu, Campese, Carling (ahem), JPR, JJ Williams, Gareth Edwards, Ray Gravelle, Shane Williams, Henson, Alun Wyn Jones and Ian Evans.
Jamie Roberts, Rhys Williams and Jamie Robinson were always in the shop, but they most notably bought welsh rugby jerseys. Lol.[/b]
Shane practically ran me over before the Celtic League final in 2001 (He's got his name on the side of his Merc.....) and I met JPR in the Cardiff Squash club before the Italy game this year, he's an awesome bloke. it would have been an honour to meet Grav, I well up every time i think about him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 21 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah I'm not suprised to hear that, Matfield is the biggest person I've ever seen in person. I still want to see Andries Bekker who holds the record for the tallest Springbok ever at 2.09m!
I hadn't see Mortlock live but he looks an intimidating character. Looks like the kind of person who'll head butt your nose into your skull in a bar fight :lol:[/b]

mortlock has seriously bulked over the years. remember the footage of him kicking that winning penalty in sth africa about 8 years ago, he looks like a scrawny little boy. he also had hair back then

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 21 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's nothing... I had Carlos Spencer as a friend on my spare Facebook account.

Yeah!

*scurrys off*[/b]
A "spare" facebook account.  What were you???  A supermodel????

No, I had my first account banned for spamming adverts of the football focus on all the falloverball groups.

Then had it reinstated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Nov 21 2008, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 21 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hadn't see Mortlock live but he looks an intimidating character. Looks like the kind of person who'll head butt your nose into your skull in a bar fight :lol:[/b]

mortlock has seriously bulked over the years. remember the footage of him kicking that winning penalty in sth africa about 8 years ago, he looks like a scrawny little boy. he also had hair back then
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, Mortlock was major stacked. It was almost intimidating, but he's a nice enough bloke.

Cardiff used to be a good place to run into All Blacks. It is great after a match. I ran into almost the entire team, and several All Blacks who I don't think were actually on the tour after the Barbarians match in 1993(? one of the last at the Arms). They non-playing guys (Grant Fox was one, can't remember the others) said he went for the atmosphere.

Only famous one i know is Danie Gerber. His son, Danre, played in the same highschool team as me. So i have also been to his house and stuff. Had a round of golf with him too.

Oh wait, i also played pool against Andre Pretorius, and played rugby against Chilli-boy Rallapele a couple of times.

3 other claims to fame;

1. I once drunkenly spilled Guinness down Ben Cohen.
2. Steve Thompson once said I look a lot better in an England shirt then he does.
3. I once annoyed Wayne Smith in a pub (just after he joined the ABs setup). Unsurprisingly, I was drunk!

I'm really not very good at this game.

Latest posts