Well, this sucks...

dasNdanger

First XV
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
New Zealand
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9260066

NEWARK, Del. - September 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The University of Delaware Rugby Club has been banned for five years following a party that led to a rampage in Newark.

The huge beer bash was hosted by residents of a home in the 400 block of South College Avenue. It's known as the Rugby House because it houses members of the University of Delaware Men's Rugby Club.

The club will not be able to play or practice at university facilities until 2018.

Police say the party hosts encouraged the excessive behavior that led to a near-riot in downtown Newark.

The president of the Rugby Club said the organization is appealing the suspension. He says the party wasn't sanctioned by the club and that its 80 members shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the two students who staged the party.

Those two hosts have been arrested, as have one of the young men who jumped onto a Mustang on High Street. The owner says it caused $5,400 damage.

Police have also arrested a photographer who was working for "I'm Shmacked," the company that stages the parties and then posts videos of drunken college kids.

The University of Delaware says the rugby club is suspended because its members violated the School's code of Conduct by hosting the party.

Newark police continue their investigation as they try to identify 11 more vandals. And they say they are also looking at possible criminal charges against the people behind "I'm Shmacked."

Rugby is having a hard enough time getting established in this country, and things like this will just give it a bad reputation.

I agree with the team - why penalize everyone if the party wasn't sanctioned by the team and if only a couple team members participated? Those players should be banned from the team, yes, but if the team as a whole had no involvement why make everyone pay the price? Really sucks (it also really sucks that it's only when stuff like this happens that rugby makes the news around here).

das

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9260066

Rugby is having a hard enough time getting established in this country, and things like this will just give it a bad reputation.

I agree with the team - why penalize everyone if the party wasn't sanctioned by the team and if only a couple team members participated? Those players should be banned from the team, yes, but if the team as a whole had no involvement why make everyone pay the price? Really sucks (it also really sucks that it's only when stuff like this happens that rugby makes the news around here).

das

This will be ignorance at work. Its like that time when a couple of teams were playing an an ordinary game or rugby, and a couple of flatfoot cops strolled onto the park and arrested players for brawling, and there wasn't even a fight going on at the time. I think that was in the States too.

Last edited:
This will be ignorance at work. Its like that time when a couple of teams were playing an an ordinary game or rugby, and a couple of flatfoot cops strolled onto the park and arrested players for brawling, and there wasn't even a fight going on at the time. I think that was in the States too.

I think here in the States colleges/universities have become extremely sensitive over misconduct amongst their sports teams due to the Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal. I agree that strong measures should be taken against offenders, but they've now extended those measures to include the sports programs themselves, in effect punishing the innocent along with the guilty.

das

My college's Men's team got banned for a hazing accusation. The whole thing was bogus and nothing that they were accused of was the case, but instead of waiting for the University to let them back, they decided to make their own RFC and have since been popular enough amongst students to make it to the front page of our student newspaper.

Latest posts