• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wellington Lions for the championship

we're gonna win the shield, we're gonna win the shield..and now you're gona believe us and now you're gonna believe us and now you're gonna believe uuuussss
WE'RE GONNA WIN THE SHIELD

26 years and on sept 20 the log o wood returns to the capital!

Manawatu looked the goods for 60min but after that it was all Wellington Lions. Pretty slow 1st half but both teams went hard in the 2nd and I noticed it was very vocal too with both teams shouting and stuff. Good crowd too over 10,000 people so thats pretty good going for Manawatu.

What about Hosea Gears 40m try aye? he's the Air New Zealand Cup form winger with 8 tries from 6 games and definately has to get a mention for the overseas tour in November. Others I'd like to mention are Thomas Waldrom and Serge Lilo, they are both work horses especially Waldrom and they deserve some recognition.

I'm getting more excited for the shield challenge than I am the Tri Nations final. It's gonna be a awesome game if Wellington Lions stay true to form than they'll get their hands on the Shield for sure. Also by the end of the season possibly the Cup too if they keep it up :).

Go the Lions!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 7 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Manawatu looked the goods for 60min but after that it was all Wellington Lions. Pretty slow 1st half but both teams went hard in the 2nd and I noticed it was very vocal too with both teams shouting and stuff. Good crowd too over 10,000 people so thats pretty good going for Manawatu.

What about Hosea Gears 40m try aye? he's the Air New Zealand Cup form winger with 8 tries from 6 games and definately has to get a mention for the overseas tour in November. Others I'd like to mention are Thomas Waldrom and Serge Lilo, they are both work horses especially Waldrom and they deserve some recognition.

I'm getting more excited for the shield challenge than I am the Tri Nations final. It's gonna be a awesome game if Wellington Lions stay true to form than they'll get their hands on the Shield for sure. Also by the end of the season possibly the Cup too if they keep it up :) .

Go the Lions!!!![/b]

If I was a NH club rugby director I'd certainly try to snatch him up. Very good player, always making the hard yards and superb skills for such a big men. I'd also mention Corey Jane. Hewould deserve a shot in Black in November.

This Bosch fellow in Manawatu is also not bad...I remember his header try from last year.

Auckland may as well just give us the Shield already and just save their energy next week. That last game against Waikato had me a bit worried I must admit. Wellington Lions 26-0 after 20min and than Waikato started coming back but we managed to get there in the end. Can't wait til next week when we win the shield and it finally comes back to thte capital.

One thing the old man pointed out was what would happen if the Wellington Lions won it than in 2 weeks time played Tasman and lost it. Would that mean that Tasman would get religated with the shield or would they have to give it back? something to think about highly unlikely but possible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 14 2008, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Auckland may as well just give us the Shield already and just save their energy next week. That last game against Waikato had me a bit worried I must admit. Wellington Lions 26-0 after 20min and than Waikato started coming back but we managed to get there in the end. Can't wait til next week when we win the shield and it finally comes back to thte capital.

One thing the old man pointed out was what would happen if the Wellington Lions won it than in 2 weeks time played Tasman and lost it. Would that mean that Tasman would get religated with the shield or would they have to give it back? something to think about highly unlikely but possible.[/b]

Not counting my chickens yet. I have a terrible feeling we're going to trip up soon and am extremely nervous about this weekend.
The appointment of Walsh didn't help the butterflies either in our pursuit of what is my most sought after piece of silverware behind the Webb Ellis. On current form we should post 50 on the Jaffas but 28 years of heartbreak is not on our side (although i've only been around for 19 of them).

On the shield topic I think if Tasman were to win the shield and not be reappointed I think the winner of next years competition would win the shield..seems the only fair scenario and might bring back some of the lost magic of the log o wood to some of the bigger unions.

Nah, Nelson Bays and the other team (mind blank) would have a play off for it.

IK'm quite upset about the Waikato Wellington game. From my view if you have a look at the first four tries of Wellington I'm pretty sure there was an error before they scored. I can't guarantee I'm right cos I didn't see any replays but if you have alook at them you'll see what I mean. They're first try came from a free kick which should've been Waikato's. The forth came from a knock on off a Wellington player into touch before the player took a quick throw. Have alook, I'm not sure.

You're actually quite right ChiefsFan I think there was 1 that was a forward pass from Lilo to Ellison and Ellisons try from Mathewson was a knock on you could tell because Ellison kind of gave it away when he hesitated but than relised the ref wasn't going to blow his whistle. It was to Wellingtons benefit which I'm not unhappy about but it still sucks because it could have been the other way around.

I was pretty impressed with Waikatos right winger that Fijian fulla don't know his name because the commentators all had their own versions of it taikola, tauloko, taikolo. He was awesome with ball in hand and made heaps of metres and he hit Hosea Gear a good one. It was a awesome game from both teams and games between the two are always high scoring and this one was no different.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Sep 16 2008, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IK'm quite upset about the Waikato Wellington game. From my view if you have a look at the first four tries of Wellington I'm pretty sure there was an error before they scored. I can't guarantee I'm right cos I didn't see any replays but if you have alook at them you'll see what I mean. They're first try came from a free kick which should've been Waikato's. The forth came from a knock on off a Wellington player into touch before the player took a quick throw. Have alook, I'm not sure.[/b]

Im fairly sure Nelson Bays and Marlbrough aren't going to be in the ANZ Cup next year. Doesn't make much sense to drop Tasman and Northland for two even weaker teams when they're aiming for a more competitive competition...could be wrong though...

Apparently if the Wellington Lions win the Ranfurly Shield than play for it next week against Tasman and if somehow Tasman were to win the Shield than they would take the shield with them as Tasman but because they're getting relegated to Heartland competition next year than Tasman split into 2 teams Nelson and Marlborough.

So if all this happens that's when the 2 teams will have to play off for the shield and who knows it could stay around the heartland championship unless the best team play off against the last team of the Anz Cup and lose it.

Anywayz what I really wanted to say is f@#! I hope the Wellington Lions whoop Auckland tomorrow and bring the shield back to the capital because it means more to me than the Tri Nations does because the last time we had it was when I was born 1982. It's been way too long and the ranfurly shield needs to be right where it belongs in Wellington.

GO THE WELLINGTON LIONS MAKE US PROUD!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leothelion @ Sep 16 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Sep 16 2008, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IK'm quite upset about the Waikato Wellington game. From my view if you have a look at the first four tries of Wellington I'm pretty sure there was an error before they scored. I can't guarantee I'm right cos I didn't see any replays but if you have alook at them you'll see what I mean. They're first try came from a free kick which should've been Waikato's. The forth came from a knock on off a Wellington player into touch before the player took a quick throw. Have alook, I'm not sure.[/b]

Im fairly sure Nelson Bays and Marlbrough aren't going to be in the ANZ Cup next year. Doesn't make much sense to drop Tasman and Northland for two even weaker teams when they're aiming for a more competitive competition...could be wrong though...
[/b][/quote]

I thought they were to move to a 12 team league next year?

Anyway, good luck to the Lions! It's been a long time since Bernie threw the ball away to give Canterbury the Log. I was there. How long will we have it this time? when's the next home game against Canterbury? :(

Yep there's suppose to be only 12 teams in the Air New Zealand Cup if you takeaway Northland Taniwhat and Tasman Mako but because these 2 teams will be dropping down to the Heartland competition, Tasman will be split into 2 teams Nelson and Marlborough while I think Northland will just stay as is and play in the Heartland Championship.

27-0 wtf I didn't expect it to be so close I thought the Wellington Lions would of put at least 50 on them lol. Nah but in all seriousness it was a hell of a game by the Wellington Lions and yes I also think Thomas Waldrom should be President with Piri Weepu being vice President and the rest of the Wellington Lions forming Government.

I don't know what Jamie Joseph's done to these fullaz but we might have to check what he's giving them at halftime because they just seem to come out firing and Auckland just had no answer. I can't believe Auckland were kept scoreless I mean it'll be unbelievable to keep any team scoreless but Auckland gees.

What else can I say but f#@! yeah Wellington's the s#@! this season and even they don't win the competition I'll still be happy as f#@! that they've won the Ranfurly Shield.

WOOHOO GO THE WELLINGTON LIONS CAN'T NOBODY STOP THEM!!!!

Good job Wellington, too bad you cant contest for the Log'o'wood in the finals otherwise Canterbury would end up winning it off the Lions in the grand final :p

****, what a year for Wellington. To be this far through the competition and have maximum points is simply outstanding. Likewise holding Auckland scoreless. Congratulations on the Ranfurly shield too.

What I'm lookign forward to is when Waikato play Wellington in the Quarters (if Waikato can even make it :() and Waikato having all their All Blacks back bar Muliaina.

Then we'll show the pretenders that the only reason they're doing so good is that there aren't any ABs in the competition :)

On a side not, the team that played Wellington in that game had a completely different 15 to the one that played them in the 06 Final. Not one player was the same.

being a aucklander, living in wellington, as you could imagine, i got given alot of **** last night. of course i talked my team up, but lets face it, auckland were never going to win. not even come close, but it was the first time i have ever been embarrased to be an aucklander. i mean we didnt even score a point! what a joke. wellington played so well, and are by far the best team in the comp right now. gear is in top form, along with a whole bunch of other players and simply smashed the auckland team. well done. ranfurly shield and soon, npc ***le will be in wellingtons hands.

Thomas Waldrom has ALWAYS been a solid player (his brother being pretty good too), its just a shame he has been on a team that's stacked with flankers. There's other promising players like Serge Lilo who also has been doing well. Jerry Collins & Masoe leaving the team will help develop the younger talent we have in the team. Oh yeah Victor Vito is ass he basically minimized his chances of getting a shot at the ABs. I can't believe the Jaffas didnt score any points in this game it was quite an anti climatic win really. After we take out this NPC :p the cherry on top of that cake will be David Smith joining the Wellingtonians :)

Latest posts