• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wellington Sevens, 3-4 February 2012

I thought he has been pretty good, especially with what ball he was given. Didn't really see too much game time either. I thought he was a lot better than Charles Piutau who seemed to have moments of class with his stepping but never seemed to show out and out pace and had poor ball security.

Really? You thought Gear was good? I never would have believed you would think that! :p

I have to agree though, I thought Gear looked pretty good when he was on (especially considering how little sevens he has played) - he took his try very well in the semi-final too. I think if he spent a lot more time playing sevens he would be a great sevens player. He certainly wasn't as effective as Frank Halai with ball in hand, though Halai is still a bit error prone. I was a bit disappointed in Piutau, but I thought he did some great work at the breakdown at times.

I'm becoming more impressed with Tim Mikkelson everytime I see him. I never used to rate him at all, but his work at the breakdown was great (strange for someone who is a back in the XV's game), he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, and he showed some deceptive speed at times. Mark Jackman looked promising, and Cama again showed he is still class (and is probbly getting even better with age..).

Overall a good performance by NZ - their defense in the final was immense!

Really? You thought Gear was good? I never would have believed you would think that! :p

I have to agree though, I thought Gear looked pretty good when he was on (especially considering how little sevens he has played) - he took his try very well in the semi-final too. I think if he spent a lot more time playing sevens he would be a great sevens player. He certainly wasn't as effective as Frank Halai with ball in hand, though Halai is still a bit error prone. I was a bit disappointed in Piutau, but I thought he did some great work at the breakdown at times.

I'm becoming more impressed with Tim Mikkelson everytime I see him. I never used to rate him at all, but his work at the breakdown was great (strange for someone who is a back in the XV's game), he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, and he showed some deceptive speed at times. Mark Jackman looked promising, and Cama again showed he is still class (and is probbly getting even better with age..).

Overall a good performance by NZ - their defense in the final was immense!

Haha, was waiting for it.

Agree with you on Tim Mikkelson. Never used to rate him, but he genuinely seems to have some real speed on top of a very solid all round game. He held players up off the ground for a scrum pretty much every time it happened.

Frank Halai was a beast and just keeps looking brillaint. I don't think his skills translate quite as well in the XV game, but he's certainly blockbusting power in 7's.

Tomasi Cama is a weird one. Always liked him a lot and he pulls out magic that no one else on the circut can, but I think New Zealand need to start looking at breeding another playmaker, especially with the Olympics in five years. For me, Buxton Popoalii should have been included as I can't see him ever being the preferred winger in a Super Rugby franchise (just made the wider squad for the Highlanders).

Haha, was waiting for it.

Agree with you on Tim Mikkelson. Never used to rate him, but he genuinely seems to have some real speed on top of a very solid all round game. He held players up off the ground for a scrum pretty much every time it happened.

Frank Halai was a beast and just keeps looking brillaint. I don't think his skills translate quite as well in the XV game, but he's certainly blockbusting power in 7's.

Tomasi Cama is a weird one. Always liked him a lot and he pulls out magic that no one else on the circut can, but I think New Zealand need to start looking at breeding another playmaker, especially with the Olympics in five years. For me, Buxton Popoalii should have been included as I can't see him ever being the preferred winger in a Super Rugby franchise (just made the wider squad for the Highlanders).

Mikkelson by all accounts is also incredibly fit (usually the fittest in the squad), which means he maintains his speed throughout the match, while others may slow down as the match goes on.

It would be great to get Popoalii as a full time Sevens player, as he is an exceptional Sevens player. He was phenemenal for Otago in the National Sevens (where he was player of the tournament). Unfourtunately (for the NZ Sevens team) I get the feeling he will break into Super Rugby next season. He's obviously great with ball in hand, but I thought his defense (which used to be a major weakness) showed a lot of signs of improvement last season with Otago. His size (or lack there-of) is always going to be an issue, but he does seem to have bulked up a lot over the last couple of seasons, without losing much of his trademark elusiveness.

Tim Mikkelson was very impressive. The more I see him the more I think he should be in the chiefs right now. I'd rather have him at 15 than Robinson or Nanai Williams.

Got to wonder with some of the guys Mikkelson in particular. If they dont get super contracts because they are so good at 7's

Tim Mikkelson was very impressive. The more I see him the more I think he should be in the chiefs right now. I'd rather have him at 15 than Robinson or Nanai Williams.

Got to wonder with some of the guys Mikkelson in particular. If they dont get super contracts because they are so good at 7's

I'm sure Mikkelson would have been pretty close to being included in the Chiefs squad this season. I thought he had his best season for Waikato last year - he'd certainly be more reliable than Nanai-Williams or Robinson, but doesn't offer the same attacking skills (or potential) as either of these players.

I'm sure Mikkelson would have been pretty close to being included in the Chiefs squad this season. I thought he had his best season for Waikato last year - he'd certainly be more reliable than Nanai-Williams or Robinson, but doesn't offer the same attacking skills (or potential) as either of these players.

if you say that then I can also say that Neither nanai or Robinson offer the same defensive skills (or potential) as Mikkelson mostly because of his extra size and height.

But I don't agree with that. I think Tim is just as good on attack, just a different style. And the one think I like about Tim in 15's is late in games he gets stronger as the opposition starts to slow down.

The one reason I would select him over the others is because I think his style and his extra size would be more of a asset compared to Robinson & Nanai but my main point is that when it's a close call maybe the 7's player misses out because he would be such an asset on the IRB 7's circuit.

if you say that then I can also say that Neither nanai or Robinson offer the same defensive skills (or potential) as Mikkelson mostly because of his extra size and height.

But I don't agree with that. I think Tim is just as good on attack, just a different style. And the one think I like about Tim in 15's is late in games he gets stronger as the opposition starts to slow down.

The one reason I would select him over the others is because I think his style and his extra size would be more of a asset compared to Robinson & Nanai but my main point is that when it's a close call maybe the 7's player misses out because he would be such an asset on the IRB 7's circuit.

Really? Nanai-Williams is one of the best attacking fullbacks in the country (and has proven that at Super Rugby level), and while I'm not a huge fan of Robinson, he does have some freakish acceleration. In contrast Mikkelson is very solid ITM Cup player, who has been completely anonymous in his (admittedly limited) chance at Super Rugby level. While I think Mikkelson showed improvement for Waikato last season, he didn't really come across as a great attacking threat for Waikato (at least not at the same level as Nanai-Williams or Robinson). Nanai-Williams and Robinson certainly don't offer the same defensive skills as Mikkelson, not only because of there size (or lack there-of), but also they don't read the game as well on defense as Mikkelson does. I just think Mikkelsons strengths (high work-rate, incredible fitness, strong breakdown work, solid defense) make him more suited to 7's than 15's at this stage - this is not to say he won't break into a Super Rugby squad next season, as he does seem to be improving every year.

I don't for one minute buy that if it is a close call that a 7's player would miss out on a Super rugby contract because he would be an asset on the 7's circuit - I'm sure that is the last thing the Franchise coaches/selectors think about when selecting their squads! If this was the case there is no way that the likes of Popoali'i, Ormond, and even Rory Grice would be included in wider training squads, as they would be big assets the NZ Sevens squad (and they only in wider training squads - not main squads!).

Really? Nanai-Williams is one of the best attacking fullbacks in the country (and has proven that at Super Rugby level), and while I'm not a huge fan of Robinson, he does have some freakish acceleration. In contrast Mikkelson is very solid ITM Cup player, who has been completely anonymous in his (admittedly limited) chance at Super Rugby level. While I think Mikkelson showed improvement for Waikato last season, he didn't really come across as a great attacking threat for Waikato (at least not at the same level as Nanai-Williams or Robinson). Nanai-Williams and Robinson certainly don't offer the same defensive skills as Mikkelson, not only because of there size (or lack there-of), but also they don't read the game as well on defense as Mikkelson does. I just think Mikkelsons strengths (high work-rate, incredible fitness, strong breakdown work, solid defense) make him more suited to 7's than 15's at this stage - this is not to say he won't break into a Super Rugby squad next season, as he does seem to be improving every year.

I don't for one minute buy that if it is a close call that a 7's player would miss out on a Super rugby contract because he would be an asset on the 7's circuit - I'm sure that is the last thing the Franchise coaches/selectors think about when selecting their squads! If this was the case there is no way that the likes of Popoali'i, Ormond, and even Rory Grice would be included in wider training squads, as they would be big assets the NZ Sevens squad (and they only in wider training squads - not main squads!).

Agree with you on Robinson and Nanai-Williams. They certainly are more dangerous and have more potential in the XV's game than Mikkelson.

In regards to 7's players missing out, I think Mikkelson as you mentioned, can make a far bigger impact on the 7's game than in the XV aside. I do think some players must choose to play 7's over XV's, at least at some level. Players like Tomasi Cama have warrented selection at least in the Hurricanes wider training squad for years, as he is always class for Manawatu, but he'd never have the same career in the Super Rugby as he does for the NZ 7's team.

Some players like Mikkelson and DJ Forbes though, they really are only good, solid players in ITM Cup. They really only reach their potential in 7's. As big and destructive as someone like Frank Halai is in 7's, I can't see him ever developing into a great XV's player. Robinson and Nanai-Williams have already showed they have great potential (Robinson has not be playing at what he could be in recent years).

Latest posts