• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Dual Contracts Thread

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
Just putting together a list. Will try to keep this updated.

Ospreys:
Dan Biggar (offered)
Alun-Wyn Jones (offered)
Dan Lydiate (9/12/2014)
Rhys Webb (offered)

Dragons:
Taulupe Faletau (offered)
Tyler Morgan (26/12/2014)
Hallam Amos (26/12/2014)

Scarlets:
Scott Williams (offered)
Samson Lee (offered)
Rhodri Jones (26/12/2014)

Blues:
Gareth Anscombe (offered)
Sam Warburton (22/09/2014)
Alex Cuthbert (offered)

What does everyone think of the first batch of players? I think it's strange that guys like Amos and Morgan are being signed up before guys like Tipuric and Ball. My guess is that as part of the negotiations in establishing these contracts, the WRU had to agree to dual contracting similar numbers of players from each region? I think that if this were the case, it may point to that the WRU will try to bring overseas players (eg Owen Williams, Jonathan Davies) to the Dragons, in order to meet the quota of Dragons players signed up, whilst contracting players already at the other regions. This was probably why they wanted Lydiate at the Dragons so much!

How are these working? The players have contracts with both club and country, and in return the WRU has more control over playing time, int'l release, and contributed to the paycheque?

How are these working? The players have contracts with both club and country, and in return the WRU has more control over playing time, int'l release, and contributed to the paycheque?

Something along the lines of the WRU pay 60% and the Region the player is assigned to pays 40%. WRU can control how many games the player plays too (similar to how the IRFU manage their international players) - for example Warburton is limited to 16 Blues games a season. No idea if anything has been announced for the other ones who have signed up now.

I like that Amos has signed as I reckon he's got a chance to break in to the wing spot if he keeps playing like he is. Similar to Liam Williams though, fullback is certainly his best position.

Rumours that Cuthbert has turned down the offer given to him. Looks like he's after more money, either from the Blues/WRU or from a French/English club.

Is Gareth Anscombe eligible to play for Wales?

141226052717456472.jpg

Bizarre that Tipuric hasn't signed a dual contract. Especially considering Warburtons injury record.

Perhaps it's due to the limiting games? Ospreys and Tips himself want to play more? Or maybe it came down to funding or a bit of everything.

Possibly due to the fact that Gatland would rather cheese grate his bellend than give him a run out.

If Wales Online is to be believed, Gatland's law is going to come into effect when the sixth dual contract with capped players is signed (five have already been signed).

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/future-wales-exiles-face-being-8377976

In future, no players moving to France/England will be selected for Wales.

Players already outside of Wales will be exempt from the rule and apparently will be able to re-sign with their overseas clubs and still play for Wales (since they are already settled).

Rumours that Cuthbert has turned down the offer given to him. Looks like he's after more money, either from the Blues/WRU or from a French/English club.

Would many non-Welsh clubs look to take on Welsh players knowing the WRU will have a huge say in how they use them?

Would many non-Welsh clubs look to take on Welsh players knowing the WRU will have a huge say in how they use them?
The WRU wouldn't have any say in it, surely?
On a dual contract the WRU can dictate what the player does at one of the regions, but if they go to a French/English side then they've got zero say in what happens at club level.

Just putting together a list. Will try to keep this updated.

Ospreys:
Dan Biggar (offered)
Alun-Wyn Jones (offered)
Dan Lydiate (9/12/2014)
Rhys Webb (offered)

Dragons:
Taulupe Faletau (offered)
Tyler Morgan (26/12/2014)
Hallam Amos (26/12/2014)

Scarlets:
Scott Williams (offered)
Samson Lee (offered)
Rhodri Jones (26/12/2014)

Blues:
Gareth Anscombe (offered)
Sam Warburton (22/09/2014)
Alex Cuthbert (offered)

What does everyone think of the first batch of players? I think it's strange that guys like Amos and Morgan are being signed up before guys like Tipuric and Ball. My guess is that as part of the negotiations in establishing these contracts, the WRU had to agree to dual contracting similar numbers of players from each region? I think that if this were the case, it may point to that the WRU will try to bring overseas players (eg Owen Williams, Jonathan Davies) to the Dragons, in order to meet the quota of Dragons players signed up, whilst contracting players already at the other regions. This was probably why they wanted Lydiate at the Dragons so much!

is it not just down to timing of old contracts?

Latest posts