• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Typical poaching Wales :p

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

If he in unsure where to play, then I don't want him yet.
Just like Steven, let him settle down and play some rugby first.

Also, Alex Cuthbert has signed up with the Blues for three seasons.
Excellent news, I hope the Blues improve, as he deserves a team that plays with the passion that he does.

Last edited:
[h=1]Welsh Rugby Union chief Roger Lewis calls for central control[/h]Lewis wants one of the regions to become a development region, personally I feel that the best one for that is the Dragons. I know the Dragons fans won't like it that much but in doing so they might get some good players for a time that will improve on some of the players they have now.

Welsh Rugby Union chief Roger Lewis calls for central control

Lewis wants one of the regions to become a development region, personally I feel that the best one for that is the Dragons. I know the Dragons fans won't like it that much but in doing so they might get some good players for a time that will improve on some of the players they have now.

To be fair, we deserve it more than any other region. I don't want it to be 'we develop and as soon as they look decent, they go' but how about we bring in ones like Screech, Cook, Allen, et al who don't have a chance for their region?

Considering they were in front of HMRC earlier this year, probably not great.

What is Kurt Baker up to? Always looked to be a pretty decent fullback who was never given a shot in Otago.

Welsh Rugby Union chief Roger Lewis calls for central control

Lewis wants one of the regions to become a development region, personally I feel that the best one for that is the Dragons. I know the Dragons fans won't like it that much but in doing so they might get some good players for a time that will improve on some of the players they have now.

When brought up on their forum, most of them said they quit watching the Dragons if they became officially a Welsh version of Connacht and would watch Newport in the Principality Premiership instead. (http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?t=4603)

I tell you what, with the current iffy financial state of the regions as it is, the possibility of Cardiff and Ospreys playing in England and the rest playing in the Principality Premiership similar to how they do in Football could actually plausibly happen.

I don't think the WRU has ever done a good job with the regions to be honest. They were correct to move away from the clubs in 2003, but the handling of change over to regions and then handling of the regions has let a lot to be desired.

It almost seems sometimes like there are too many who simply resist making tough but much needed change in Welsh rugby and make it all too difficult for the domestic game in Wales to be at its best. Just look at the Celtic Warriors situation from start to finish and that is an example of the bickering mess that is the running of Welsh domestic rugby.

[Sorry y'all, this post has grown a little long:blush:]

WTF is happening over there at the minute?

Talk of the Dragons disappearing and rumours that the Ospreys were on the verge of being wound up at the start of the season.

Tell me this - why on earth is a man that has an education in music, a background in music, radio and TV been put in charge of a rugby union?!?

With such a weak sporting background - it is quite obvious that most people with vested interests in any debate will have little respect for his opinion - simply because they'll say* he knows jack **** about it. Good luck to the WRU trying to form a consensus from such a weak initial negotiating position!

*regardless of whether he actually is extremely knowledgeable or not.

I've even read reports where the WRU are happy with his work... which must be indicative of them being so deluded as to focus on how high they can build their ivory towers without once looking down to consider whether the foundations are in good shape.

IMO, the WRU needs to focus on differentiating the Pro12 from the welsh premiership. Playing days & playing season are two obvious starting points (albeit changing the WP season is probably a thorny issue). If they cannot do this then consider removing the corresponding WP clubs from the WP. These being Newport, Swansea, Cardiff, Llanelli. Why dilute the already limited fanbase if you are going to play matches in the same town at the same time?!?

A quick look at the fixtures shows the idiocy.

Pro12 - Sat 23rd Feb:
Cardiff Blues v Connacht, 15:00
Glasgow v Ulster, 15:00
Leinster v Scarlets, 15:00
Ospreys v Edinburgh, 15:00
Treviso v Munster, 15:00
Zebre v Newport-Gwent D'gons, 15:00

WP - Sat 23rd Feb:
Bedwas RFC v Cross Keys RFC 14:30
Bridgend v Neath 14:30
Carmarthen RFC v Swansea 14:30
Llandovery RFC v Aberavon RFC 14:30
Llanelli RFC v Cardiff Rugby 14:30
Pontypridd v Newport 14:30

So Cardiff and the Ospreys are at home in the Pro12 on the same day as a full fixture list for the WP. How do the WRU expect people to follow both when they are forced to pick and choose between one or the other? (even if one is on TV and the other is live - if you miss the matches, either live or on TV, your connection to the team weakens)

The WRU need to knock heads with the Pro12 (that includes the IRFU, the SRU and the FIR) on this and get it sorted.

Personally, I would reserve Friday nights for the Pro12 games and Saturday/Sunday midday/afternoon for the WP.

Two consistently different timeslots so everyone knows whats happening and is never forced to choose one or the other.
At a push, Saturday nights could be used for Pro12 games as well. [The social aspect for travelling support interacting with home support in the bars around the grounds should never be disregarded - its one of the things that sets rugby apart from soccer and should be maintained as much as possible I feel.]

Andries Pretorius is now eligible for Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20893653

He is available to play in the 6 Nations if needed now.

He is a better player than McCusker or Turnbull in my opinion, but there is also now hope that Lydiate will be fit so I doubt he will be needed with Ryan Jones and Aaron Shingler also better options at 6.

He probably actually has a better chance playing for Wales in his second best position at 8 for the Japan tour perhaps, where I again would rather have him than McCusker.

An 8 year old Toby Faletau on this video celebrating Christmas Tongan style with his father Kuli Faletau (former Tongan international with moustache) and other family and other Tongans at Ebbw Vale at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9147180.stm

big+guy+little+guy.png
_49740874_festive_tongans_bbc.jpg
TobyFaletau2.jpg

Awww, little Froby!
He doesn't look much different, apart from being pretty massive these days. ;)

Guessing that Josh is the one in the green next to him.

Mark Ring is saying what we all feel:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Drag all wales's best skills coaches in. Line em up against the wall in front of a firing squad!</p>&mdash; Mark Ring (@MarkRing10) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkRing10/status/285808094708109313" data-datetime="2012-12-31T18:02:14+00:00">December 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Just a little rant about the Scarlets:

The Scarlets need to seriously re-consider their backrow options imo. Turnbull and McCusker haven't developed as expected, in fact both have regressed somewhat. They are still capable of playing well now and again, but are simply too inconsistent. I had high hops for both, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It doesn't help in McCuskers case that he's also a bit of an idiot, prone to getting himself yellow carded, or worse. How many cards has he racked up this season already? I count 2 red-cards and at least another 3 yellows. That is unacceptable, especially from the captain! If both were playing in their natural position of blindside things might be a little different, especially for Turnbull, but Shingler is easily the best option at 6 in the Scarlets squad.

That brings us to the openside position. If Turnbull isn't the right choice here then who is? Jonathan Evans is the back-up in this position, but he's an average player at best. Again he's massively inconsistent in his performances, and is prone to getting on the wrong side of the ref far too often. He's lost the one attribute that made him an exciting prospect as a youngster, his pace, and as such doesn't excel at any aspect of openside play. For me there is an obvious player the Scarlets should be developing here. Daniel Thomas should be given gametime, and be allowed to develop into the role. It may take a little while, but he's shown glimpses that he could develop into a Justin Tipuric type of player, and that would suit the way the Scarlets play the game.

With two skilful flankers, they would require a more direct, hard nosed 8, which unfortunately they don't have in their squad. Their only real option at 8 imo is Kieran Murphy, who is very much in the mould of Ben Morgan. This does leave the pack lacking in grunt though, so that may have to come from the second-row. Only Timani has shown that he has the required 'dog' from the second-row options the Scarlets have, but he's another inconsistent performer. Maybe a couple of their newer signings will settle in over time and add the control that the Scarlets pack often lack. Ball, Earle, Kelly and Vallejos have all shown promise, but none have really nailed the shirt down.

The front-row is what it is really. They have three extremely promising props in Samson Lee, Rhodri Jones and Rob Evans that will hopefully develop into good players. I have also been impressed with young Shaun Hopkins. Phil John is an OK backup, but should not be starting the big games, whilst Manu is on the wane. Unfortunately Adriaanse is not the strong scrummaging tighthead the Scarlets desperately needed. There's hookers aplenty. In time the Scarlets should build a solid front-row, but it's something that cannot be rushed.

The only position I'm going to talk about in the backs is at 10. Priestland is first choice when fit, but unless he improves drastically he's going to be a hindrance to the rest of the Scarlets backline. Aled Thomas is the preferred backup, but I don't think much of him tbh. He does most things OK, but is simply a bit meh! Newton has shown signs of promise, but I'm really not sure he's up to the task. I would like to see Gareth Owen given a run of gametime at 10 in the absence of Priestland, but his 5 match ban, and general inconsistency means it is probably unlikely. High goal kicking used to be of a high standard though, and he attacks the line well. In the boxing match game against the Ospreys, he was the only player who managed to unlock the O's defence with a couple of very nice offloads out of the tackle. It's no secret that I've always thought highly of Owen though, so my judgement is probably off. Slightly off topic, but a five match ban was ridiculous. It happened right in front of me, and sure it was idiotic and reckless, but there was no malice intended. I felt that he just got caught between two minds of whether to go for the ball or make the tackle and ended up doing neither. The red-card was justified, but a one or two match ban would have been suffice. I can't remember him being a dirty player in the past, and to get the same length ban as Hore is mind boggling.

I agree with most of your post Dullonien.

I think the Scarlets should consider offloading one of McCusker or Turnbull, they are both blindsides (mayve Turnbull is a 6.5?) and neither has shown the capability as yet to play at a high level elsewhere in the back row despite plenty of opportunity. Murphy is a better 8 than McCusker is from what I've seen.

They could be moved back to 6, but then Shingler is better than them both there anyway as you say.

If they could get rid of one of the two and then bring in a proper #7 or #8 then that would be best for them.

Also unfortunately for the Scarlets some of the overseas signings (Adriaanse, Vallejos etc) to strengthen the front 5 haven't worked too well. They need to take a lesson from how London Welsh recruited, they realised that their front 5 needed strengthening to play in the Premiership and they brought in two French props and a Romanian and now their scrum has done well this season despite predictions suggesting otherwise pre season.

None of those props would have been out of the Scarlets (or Blues or Dragons for that matter) price range, but they spent the time identifying them (after the main period of transfers had finished and choice would have been much smaller as well) and got rewarded for it.

The three teams above all have poor front fives, and yet the Blues recruit Ma'afu, the Dragons recruit extra players for their back 3 (which wasn't a weak area for them) and bring in Tim Ryan, whilst the Scarlets sign Adriaanse who is little improvement on Manu (who as you say is declining) and Vallejos who is a lock who offers little grunt they needed.

I haven't been at all impressed with Gareth Owen for the Scarlets this season tbh. I think people still hold out hope on his early potential, but he's been around a while and hasn't progressed and I think people need to accept that he's simply not good now.

I never understood why the Turks were hyping up Adriaanse and Snyman. Snyman was a Sharks reject who left the Lions and couldn't start for the Kings. Adriaanse was a distant second-choice behind Cilliers.
The same thing happened with Timani last year, and will happen again.

I never understood why the Turks were hyping up Adriaanse and Snyman. Snyman was a Sharks reject who left the Lions and couldn't start for the Kings. Adriaanse was a distant second-choice behind Cilliers.
The same thing happened with Timani last year, and will happen again.

Scarlets hype a lot of their players.

Remember Fenby for Wales?

Those South Africans were signed to add "grunt" to the pack, and the Scarlets fans seemed to assume they would based on nationality and think they were great signings. But in reality, they have had little impact and the Scarlets front five is still not good enough.

Tomas Vallejos is an odd signing as well. They needed a lock with grunt, but Vallejos is more of a lightweight lock compared to a heavier scrummaging and rucking type of lock. And he only gets on the bench for them, a poor use of a NWQ place.

Manuel Carizza who they were linked with for a while would have been a much better signing as unlike Vallejos offers some good grunt and tackling/rucking/scrummaging abilities. They should have signed him.

Last edited:
I am very proud that I still haven't joined SF. I would have a field day before the inevitable ban.
They could be linked with Buckley and say he will be a real asset (to the drinking team, aye).

I don't think a single one had seen Adriaanse play, yet they were tipping him for great things. What do you think a Lions bencher will be like?
I am going to get the Turk management in contact with Dale Chadwick. It's shockingly evil...

SF is an all time laugh at the min. Love reading it, full of fruit loops. Give them their credit they are passionate but some of the posters are clueless.

Scarlets are not the big time Charlie's they think they are anymore.

More ranting.

In a perfect world we could just scrap the regions, and in their place create two new 'regions', East and West, with a further development region in the North. I feel this is the correct amount of teams atm, so that both the East and West sides would have the strength in depth in all positions to be competitive, as long as the management and coaching was in place that is. These are some hypothetical 40 man squads, with a few players moved in order to divide the player base a little more evenly between them.

West (Ospreys + Scarlets)

Props: Ryan Bevington, Rhodri Jones, Rob Evans, Adam Jones, Samson Lee, Joe Rees
Hookers: Richard Hibbard, Ken Owens, Emyr Phillips
Second rows: Alun-Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Lloyd Peers, Sione Timani, 1 of Ball/Earle/Kelly/Snyman
Back-rowers: Ryan Jones, Aaron Shingler, Justin Tipuric, Josh Turnbull, Joe Bearman, Kieran Murphy, James King
Scrum halves: Kahn Fotoali'i, Tavis Knoyle, Gareth Davies
Outside halves: Dan Biggar, Rhys Priestland, Matthew Morgan
Centres: Ashley Beck, Jon Davies, Scott Williams, Adam Warren, Gareth Maul
Back three: Eli Walker, Hanno Dirksen, Richard Fussell, George North, Morgan Stoddart, Liam Williams, Andy Fenby

East (Cardiff + Newport + Valleys)

Props: Duncan Jones, Sam Hobbs, Phil Price, Scott Andrews, Aaron Jarvis, Dan Way
Hookers: Matthew Rees, Scott Baldwin, Sam Parry
Second rows: Bradley Davies, Lou Reed, Ian Gough, Andrew Coombs, 1 of Down/Hill/Cook
Back-rowers: Dan Lydiate, Andries Pretorius, Sam Warburton, Josh Navidi, Toby Faletau, Lewis Evans, Tom Brown
Scrum halves: Lloyd Williams, Aled Davies, Wayne Evans/Jonathan Evans
Outside Halves: Rhys Patchell, Jason Tovey, Sam Davies
Centres: Jamie Roberts, Cory Allen, Andrew Bishop, Adam Hughes, Ashley Smith/Owen Williams
Back three: Alex Cuthbert, Lee Halfpenny, Tonderai Chavanga, Tom Prydie, Dan Fish, Harry Robinson, Tom James

North (Development)

Props: Phil John, Shaun Hopkins, Will-Griff John, Cai Griffiths, Deacon Manu, Nathan Buck/Benoit Bourrust
Hookers: Kirby Myhill, Rhys Williams, Hugh Gustafson
Second rows: 2 of Down/Hill/Cook, 2 of Ball/Earle/Kelly/Snyman, Rob Sidoli
Back-rowers: Jonathan Thomas, Sam Lewis, George Stowers, Daniel Thomas, Rob McCusker, Mike Paterson, Robin Copeland/Morgan Allen/Luke Hamilton
Scrum Halves: Rhys Webb, Tom Habberfield, Rhodri Williams
Outside halves: Gareth Owen, Dan Newton, Daniel Evans/Lewis Robling/Steffan Jones/Jordan Williams
Centres: Jonathan Spratt, Nic Reynolds, Owen Williams/Ashley Smith, Andy Tuilagi, Dafydd Hewitt
Back three: Kristian Phillips, Will Harries, Chris Czekaj, Tom Isaacs, Tom Grabham, Hallam Amos, Michael Poole

In reality 45 man squads would possibly be needed to compete with the likes of Leinster, Ulster, Toulon, Tolouse, Clermont etc. With less teams, the finances might be in place to draw some of the players currently playing abroad back to Wales, which would further strengthen these squads. It does show how thinly the talent is spread at the moment amongst four regions, because the North Wales region is still lacking in many areas. Feel free to point out players I've missed. The Dragons in particular was more difficult because their website doesn't allow the sorting of their squad by position any more.

Last edited:

Latest posts