• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad for the AI's.

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Well, not long now untill the Autumn Internationals kick off, and with a few weeks of the new season passed, which players are putting their hands up to be involved?

The Blues and Scarlets are going well so far, whilst the Ospreys are a little up and down and the Dragons have been hit with injuries.

I feel Gatland needs to pick a bigger squad than he usually does, as we need to develop a few players in certain positions, so I'll pick the squad I'd personally go with:

Props: Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones, Craig Mitchell, with one of Yohn Yapp, Scott Andrews, Rhys Gill or Iestyn Thomas aswell. Rhys Thomas has an outside chance if he plays a couple of good games for the Scarlets.

Hookers: Mathew Rees, T Rhys Thomas, Ken Owens would be my choice, although Gatland loves Bennett, then there's Hibbard aswell.

Second Rows: Bradley Davies, Alun-Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Ian Gough. I don't think Deiniol Jones is up to it at international level. Is there space for one of the Scarlets boys?

Backrow: Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Martyn Williams, Sam Warberton, Dan Lydiate, Rob McCusker. This is where I'd introduce a couple of youngsters. We know what Martyn Williams gives us, so start Warberton in all but one game. Give McCusker a go at 8, and give plenty of gametime to Lydiate. I thought Ryan Jones made a bit of a difference for the O's last night, so I'd be tempted to go for a backrow of Lydiate, Warberton, Ryan Jones in the first game.

Scrum Half: Mike Phillips, Richie Rees, Tavis Knoyle. Not sure now Peels going, but he's fallen down the pecking order. Wayne Evans gone backwards imo, no Cooper for the love of god. Lloyd Williams would be next in line for me, he looks something special.

Outside Half: Stephen Jones, Dan Biggar, Ceri Sweeney. I think Gatland will have a tough decision to make here. Stephen Jones is obviously our best 10, but we need competent backup if he get's injured so I'd use the AI's to find that. Biggar has had an indifferent start to the season for the O's, whilst Sweeney has looked very good. Do we give another shot to Sweeney? He certainly suits the way Wales should be trying to play, and he's solid in defense. Tovey is unlikely to get a chance after getting injured.

Centres: Hook, Jonathan Davies, Andrew Bishop, Tom Shanklin. Hopefully Hook is back in time, because he's the spark we need in the centre. If he is, I'd go with a Davies 12 - 13 Hook midfield, if not then try a Davies 12 - 13 Bishop. By all accounts Jamie Roberts is making a quicker than expected recovery, so don't rule him out just yet!

Back Three: Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Lee Byrne, Chris Czekaj, Will Harries, Aled Brew, George North would be my pick. I'd include North for expreience reasons, maybe not play him, but give him a taste of squad life. Czekaj would be my bench choice, as he's easily our second best fullback. I'd actually be tempted to start him v Aus to give a kick up the arse to Byrne! Tough on Prydie who's done nothing wrong, but he needs regional gametime. I'd have Fussell next in line.

For the most part I agree with your squad there mate, just a few extras I'd pick and some I wouldn't.

PROPS - For the props I agree with Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones and possibly John Yapp because actually he is very solid and a very good prop. In addition to them I'd pick Hugh Gustaffson from the Dragons. you could say I'm biased as a Dragons fan but on the other hand for that reason I see more of him and notice him more and though at the moment he isn't the greatest scrummager in the world hin handling and linking with the backs is exceptional and I think theres no better time to pick him and see if hes good enough at international level. I agree with you that Rhys Thomas has an outside chance if he starts to perform and he does have an advantage as he is at the moment playing for arguably the most in form region at present so he will look good. As for Scott Andrews and Rhys Gill - i don;t really know alot about Gill so probably wouldn't pick him for that reason, he may be good for all I know though and I'd probably go for Iestyn Thomas over Scott Andrews.

HOOKERS - I think you're spot on with the hookers. Matthew Rees is at the moment our number 1 and thoroughly deserves to be so with Huw Bennet second and then theres Ken Owens and Richard Hibbard. I think with game time and good performances Ken Owens will push himself to the forefront and become our first choice as he is young and very good. i do like Richard Hibbard though, brings a real presence and always very aggressive in the tackle area.

SECOND ROW - Agree with the second rows, Alun Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies and Luke Charteris are definitely the future for many years. With these 3 our second row is covered for many years to come. Goughy should be there as although he isn't as regular in the welsh line-up these days he is vastly experienced and a brilliant sub to have on the bench and is more than capable to fill in if one of those guys were to get injured. The other player who is very good and I would probably include is Ian Evans who I think has just got injured again, but hes still young (I think about 25) so he has plenty of time and I think he'll definitely be involved again once fit.

BACKROW - Got to agree with your choices there, perfect blend of youth and experience, though I would add Gavin Thomas to that list as I think hes still got something to offer for Wales. Gavin is very good at rucks and getting turnovers and I still can't believe the Scarlets released him though they've got plenty of good flankers now. Also if Joe Bearman can get fit and in the form that he showed last season and the season before then he could be in line to win his first cap for Wales which I think he very much deserves. However as much as I don't like to say it, time is running out for him at 32 (thats how old i think he is), never the less a real quality player when fit. Andy Powell is still a good player aswell and I know he starts every game for Wasps over in England so he is worth thinking about and I'm sure he'll be in Gatland's thoughts still.

SCRUM HALF - Spot on with who you've picked, totally agree with what you said about Cooper, was a good player but I don;t really want him to play for Wales anymore, I'll never forget that kick right at the end of the game on our tour of Australia a few years back when we had the game won with seconds left and Cooper kicked it downfield only for the Aussies to score with the last play in the corner through Nathan Sharpe. As for Wayne Evans, got to disagree, I don't think hes gone backwards but he certainly hasn't done anything to get him noticed, I've noticed hes started to wind up opposition players alot more and get under their skin, for example against the Blues he really wound Martyn Williams up.

OUTSIDE HALF - Agree with what you said, think Tovey would be in the mix if fit and don't forget what Gavin Henson said, he'll be fit to start for Wales after one or two games lol

CENTRES - Again I agree with them, we do need Hook back as he will always start when fit in my opinion, but providing that Roberts does not make a recovery in time I think we're looking at a Jon Davies/Andrew Bishop partnership. I think if Roberts wasn;t to play it might actually be a win win situation as Bishop is more than capable at international level and we can give John Davies a chance to really stake a claim for the jersey and it will then provide real competition for the positions when Hook and Roberts are both fit. I also thinks Shanklin has still got it in the tank and can still be good for Wales.

WINGS - I agree with the wings you picked, Lee Halfpenny, Will Harries and Chris Czekaj provide that versatility as they can play at full back as well as wing and I'd actually go as far to say that Czekaj is our second choice fullback at the moment with nobody else really putting there hands up. Aled Brew looks really good and has strength and pace in abundance. Shane Williams pick himself for me because hes still got that electric pace, sharp step and hes so intelligent and as for George North I think it would be terrible if he wasn't picked because hes been the outstanding welsh winger so far in these few games of the season.

FULLBACKS - First choice obviously Lee Byrne, looked good for the Ospreys last night. Second choice for me is Chris Czekaj, my only issue with this is at the Blues Dai Young may prefer Ben Blair at fullback which would block Czekaj's development in that position. I know hes also a capable winger but after watching him at fullback a few times he looks good there and I think thats the position he should stick at what with the wing being a very competitive position fort Wales with all the quality we have there and at fullback we lack quality cover Lee Byrne. After that ist wide open for third choice and I'd go for Andy Fenby from the Scarlets as he looks a decent player. Maybe Morgan Stoddart can put in some good performances at the Scarlets and he may be considered again

Gustafson is certainly a great player in the open, but he'd be totally inhialated in the scrums at international level, and that's just not good enough I'm afraid. We've gotta remember that he's a looshead, the position that we've got tons of cover in Paul James, Yapp, Iestyn Thomas, Gill (regular starter in the English Premiership) and Acott Andrews (who's a better scrummager than Gustafson). Props need to scrum first, enything else is a bonus.

The reason I picked Craig Mitchell is because he's a tighthead, and is probably our third best option there behind Adam and possibly Paul James. Rhys Thomas is then next in line with Eifion Lewis-Roberts out for the season. I wonder if Paul James will be viewed as a looshead or tighthead?

I'd have possibly picked Ian Evans at lock if he weren't injured again. His injury doesn't look serious, but he needed that time to improve his game. I feel were suddenly struggling at lock. Bradley Davies is the only one performing, with Charteris and Aun-Wyn not showing all that much yet. The Scarlets second row is goign well, but Day and Reed and untested and unlikely to make the cut.

I'm still not sure about Gavin Thomas. He struggled in NZ last year and hasn't shown much for the Dragons this season yet, although he had been playing 8. I'd personally pick Josh Turnbull ahead of him, as he's younger and got more potential. Bearman could have been in line, but he's nowhere to be seen yet this season. I was expecting him back, his injury must have been worse than I thought.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="***le"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book ***le"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> A Gatland-standard 29-man squad. I did this yesterday, actually, for a bet with my brother and so already have them alphabetised and everything.

BACKS
Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
Andrew Bishop (Ospreys)
Aled Brew (Dragons)
Lee Byrne (Ospreys)
Chris Czeaj (Blues)
Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)
Leigh Halfpenny (Blues)
Will Harries (Dragons)
James Hook (Ospreys)
Stephen Jones (Scarlets)
Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets)
George North (Scarlets)
Mike Philips (Ospreys)
Richie Rees (Blues)
Shane Williams (Ospreys)

FORWARDS
Luke Charteris (Dragons)
Bradley Davies (Blues)
Ian Gough (Ospreys)
Paul James (Ospreys)
Gethin Jenkins (Blues)
Adam Jones (Ospreys)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
Ryan Jones (Ospreys) (Captain)
Dan Lydiate (Dragons)
Rob McCusker (Scarlets)
Ken Owens (Scarlets)
Andy Powell (Wasps)
Matthew Rees (Scarlets)
Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys)
Sam Warburton (Blues)
Martyn Williams (Blues)
John Yapp (Blues)

STANDBY

T Rhys Thomas (Blues)
Ryan Bevington (Ospreys)
Deiniol Jones (Blues)
Josh Turnbull (Scarlets)
Lloyd Williams (Blues)
Jason Tovey (Dragons) [If he plays well post-injury, he could make the final squad]
Tom Shanklin (Blues)
Richard Fussell (Ospreys)

That looks just about spot on for a 29 man squad DuncTheDoodle. I'd be disapointed if Powell get's the nod though, as it'll go against Gatland's previous policies of not selecting playing playing outside Wales (barring those who moved before the policy came in). It'll look very hipocritical of him, although I suppose he could use the excuse that he's playing at the Wasps where Shaun Edwards can keep an eye on him, although that doesn't hold up in my opinion.

I'm also hoping to see a different captain selected. Who that it, I'm not sure, but Ryan Jones should be told that he's no longer certain of his position and therefore cannot continue. This is professional sport, he should feel no loyalty to Ryan, and should not feel bad to drop him. Candidates for captain are imo. Gethin Jenkins, Mathew Rees, Alun-Wyn Jones or Stephen Jones. Gethin has said in the past that he's not all that keen on being captain, although he has taken the role on occasions. Alun-Wyn hasn't filled me with confidence so far with the captaincy at the Ospreys, and he's not 100% guaranteed his place. Mathew Rees seems a good selection, but his yellow card on the weekend worried me. Stephen Jones didn't make a good captain last time, and I'm not sure he'd want that burden again. So after all that I'm not atall sure. Maybe Gatland could announce a squad captain in Ryan Jones who talks to the press (he's great at that part of the role), but employ a different on-field captain depending on who's playing. Would this be the best option, because I'm not atall sure what should be done!

Props: Interesting to see some player getting a mention here. Let me put something straight right here, Hugh Gustafson is not good enough for Wales. Yes he has a running game but has no scrummaging and until that is sorted he will not play for Wales. Gatland will likely pick ... Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Craig Mitchell, John Yapp, Paul James and then one from Rhys Gill, Scott Andrews and Ryan Bevington. Scott Andrews has come on leaps and bounds over the last 6 months and was on the stand by list for the EOYT last season. Gill is a little small but did well when he played last season for Wales off the bench and is getting regular game time for Saracens. Bevington is one for the future, still raw but is a better scrummager than Gustafson. It depends were Gatland feels he needs a extra prop, at loose head or tighthead.

Hookers: I know who I want ... Mathew Rees, Rhys Thomas and Richard Hibbard. However it will be Mathew Rees, Huw Bennett and one from Thomas, Owens and Mefin Davies ( :eek: ) although Steve Jones has looked good this season.

Second Row: Wales lack depth here and so we shall see Alun Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Ian Giugh and Luke Charteris. Expect Jon Thomas to cover here also. Deiniol will not make the cut as he really has not played well. Time will tell however. The likes of James Down will need to push him at the Blues to show the potential that people are talking about him.

Backrow: Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Martyn Williams, Andy Powell, Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate and Rob McCusker. Gatland will likely go down this route as JT will also provide much needed cover at second row. Powell has played well for Wasps so will get inclusion under the Edwards effect. Lydiate has looked pretty good and Warburton (guys spell him correctly its doing my head in please) has looked tidy but I feel Gatland will go with at first a Powell, Williams and Jones backrow and then will see sense and go Lydiate, Williams/ Warburton and Jones.

Scrum Half's: Richard Rees, Mike Phillips and one from Peel, Wayne Evans, Tavis Knoyle, Martin Roberts and Lloyd Williams. Rees and Phillips are shoe ins but who comes in as third choice will be the interesting call. I don't reate Knoyle after his exploits in New Zealand and I don't believe in the Welsh media hype for him. Wayne Evans has lost a bit of form but could be given a go, Peel is there or there abouts and the long shot will be the traditional Lloyd Williams also Martin Roberts could be lurking for selection.

Fly Half's: Stephen Jones, Dan Biggar ( sad face :( ) and Ceri Sweeney. Tovey can still make this bad boy of a squad if he get some form. Sweeney has looked good for the Blues and deserves a shot again for Wales. The Blues adapted their game for him and the Wales game suits his style. Biggar is terrible but no one else around to displace him and Stephen Jones ... enough said.

Centres: James Hook, Jonathan Davies, Andrew Bishop and Jaime Roberts. This is were Gatland will go, Shanklin has looked good but his pace has gone but his form looks good mind. Jon Davies has looked good still think his ball in hand is a little suspect, meaning the placement of the ball in his arm when he is running. Bishop has been solid for the Ospreys and Id expect the Hook and Roberts combo to be fully recovered by then. Look for Gavin Henson to be selected after playing two games for London Welsh :D

Wings and Full Backs: Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Lee Byrne, Chris Czekaj, Will Harries, Aled Brew and George North. The names pick itself really. If Gatland has gone with Prydie then he has to go with North who has played more game time for his region than Prydie currently has done. Prydie needs to go ad find some game time, playing for Swansea is jot the way that is going to develop him in the long run. Richard Fussell will miss out again but his name could be mentioned and he could be there or there abouts depending on the stance of Gatland and the Dragons so Brew could well miss out and Fussell could come in.

Powell has played very well for Wasps from what I've seen, but to be honest I can't see him playing much- Ryan is the captain. He's arguabley the best leader we have, and second to none certainly when it comes to speaking to the media, as you said. Smit is only picked by the Boks because he is their captain, Borthwick was the same with England. Maybe he's not the best player, but he's someone everyone will look up to and could lead the team on. If the captain had to be someone guarrented their spot, then Shane or Adam Jones would be handed the armband ASAP.

The Martyn Williams V Sam Warburton debate could rage on all night. Either way, 7 seems to be a strong positon for us, even if there is no decent cover beyond those two. I won't mind which one is selected. Dan Lydiate has to get the 6 shirt- He was in great form last season, and seems just as good this time around. He's young, powerful, quick and seems to tick all the boxes and strikes me as more game aware than McCusker, his only real rival and specialist 6. Powell may play against Fiji, but won't get a look in for Game #1.

Powell has played very well for Wasps from what I've seen, but to be honest I can't see him playing much- Ryan is the captain. He's arguabley the best leader we have, and second to none certainly when it comes to speaking to the media, as you said. Smit is only picked by the Boks because he is their captain, Borthwick was the same with England. Maybe he's not the best player, but he's someone everyone will look up to and could lead the team on. If the captain had to be someone guarrented their spot, then Shane or Adam Jones would be handed the armband ASAP.

The Martyn Williams V Sam Warburton debate could rage on all night. Either way, 7 seems to be a strong positon for us, even if there is no decent cover beyond those two. I won't mind which one is selected. Dan Lydiate has to get the 6 shirt- He was in great form last season, and seems just as good this time around. He's young, powerful, quick and seems to tick all the boxes and strikes me as more game aware than McCusker, his only real rival and specialist 6. Powell may play against Fiji, but won't get a look in for Game #1.

Powell will get a look in for game 1 FACT if he is selected in the squad which I will no doubt will happen. Edwards will personally over see this.

Gustafson is certainly a great player in the open, but he'd be totally inhialated in the scrums at international level, and that's just not good enough I'm afraid.

QUOTE]

Thats a fair point dullonien, his scrummaging does really need to improve and if it does he could be great

Props:
Hookers: I know who I want ... Mathew Rees, Rhys Thomas and Richard Hibbard. However it will be Mathew Rees, Huw Bennett and one from Thomas, Owens and Mefin Davies ( :eek: ) although Steve Jones has looked good this season.

I thought about mentioning Mefin Davies, but wasn't quite sure what reaction i'd get off you lot on here! Hes still a good hooker Mefin, but really is knocking on at 38! Don't get me wrong when people say if hes good enough hes old enough about a young player, I think the same applies for an old player like Mefin, though I'm not sure Gatland and co would have the same attitude and would probably prefer to pick a young up and coming hooker like Ken Owens. It was five years ago that Mefin played for us in the 05 grandslam, what a fairytale that'd be for him to get back in the squad

Ok, the following statement could raise some eyebrows but it's what I feel.

Shane Williams shouldn't play in the AI's and Fussell should.

There I said it. I just think that Fussell has played very well for the Ospreys so far whereas Shane, particularly against Aironi spent too much time running sideways and into trouble.

Agree and disagree there. We don't know how good Fussel will be at international level so for that reason I think Shane will keep his place for the big 3 but as for Fiji I think that Fussel could play in place of Shane with maybe Aled Brew/George North/Will Harries on the other. Shane did spend some time runnig sideways but he was only looking for work as he didn't always get the ball out wide and he did show some glimpses of magic as he always does, most notably when he riggled and off loaded to Byrne for one of the Ospreys tries. Fussel has looked good to but to say that Shane shouldn't play at all in the Autumn Internationals is a bit over the top as he hasn't really done anything wrong but just hasn't done anything exceptional. i think we almost expect Shane to score 2 or 3 tries a match these days and if he doesn't then hes seen to have a bad game

Warburton (guys spell him correctly its doing my head in please).

Hadn't noticed. I was misspelling Byrne's name aswell for a long time (goes to double check it is Byrne....)

Anyway, it looks like we're both in just about complete agreement for once. Only thing I disagree about your selection is Hibbard in front of Ken Owens. Owens throwing is better, which gives him the nod in my book.

I hope to god that Mefin Davies doesn't make the cut, that would be taking 10 steps backwards when we have two exceptionally talented young hookers waiting for their chances in Owens and Hibbard. I'm sure it won't happen, but as you said, you never know with Gatland!

Hadn't noticed. I was misspelling Byrne's name aswell for a long time (goes to double check it is Byrne....)

Anyway, it looks like we're both in just about complete agreement for once. Only thing I disagree about your selection is Hibbard in front of Ken Owens. Owens throwing is better, which gives him the nod in my book.

I hope to god that Mefin Davies doesn't make the cut, that would be taking 10 steps backwards when we have two exceptionally talented young hookers waiting for their chances in Owens and Hibbard. I'm sure it won't happen, but as you said, you never know with Gatland!

Id like Owens but I also got to think what Gatland would do and as you said you never know with him. If we did have a injury to Rees and Bennett then bringing in Mefin Davies to be the experienced man would not be that bad. I think he's still got game but as you said Owens and Hibbard are the men so we must look at them. Rhys Thomas has gone away and worked on his game so Id expect him to be there or there abouts come the AI.

I thought about mentioning Mefin Davies, but wasn't quite sure what reaction i'd get off you lot on here! Hes still a good hooker Mefin, but really is knocking on at 38! Don't get me wrong when people say if hes good enough hes old enough about a young player, I think the same applies for an old player like Mefin, though I'm not sure Gatland and co would have the same attitude and would probably prefer to pick a young up and coming hooker like Ken Owens. It was five years ago that Mefin played for us in the 05 grandslam, what a fairytale that'd be for him to get back in the squad

I don't necessarily see age as the barrier it used to be,providing the form of the player and fitness levels are such that they can perform as well as the rest of the players ... Brad Thorn is 35 years old, Anna Richards recently was one of the Womens World cup winners at age 45, Mike Catt was 36 when he was part of the English World cup winning team in 2003, so why not Mefin if he's a genuine contender.

Ken Owens has torn a bicep, could be out of the AIs, definatly out of this weekend's game and the opening rounds of the Heinkein Cup. Bad news indeed.

Mike Catt was not 36 in 2003...

yup... quite right, my bad ... he was 36 in 2007, when he was in the English World Cup squad :eek:

... anyway, my point is that age doesn't necessarily have to be a barrier if you are fit enough and have the skills

Good squad, plenty of experience and talent. Hopefully we see Jamie back soon with a full recovery.

Latest posts