• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

I agree that creating 'a team that's more than the sum of its parts is he key' (one of my biggest frustrations with England is that Eddie Jones seemed to achieve he exact opposition since 2019).
It's beyond key, it's the very definition of good coaching. And why Jones had to go.

To win things teams need a sprinkling of stardust. But that's an accident of birth and should be the icing on the cake of clarity, cohesion, unity, commitment and standing just that bit taller in the national shirt.

Rumours that you're announcing Mike Forshaw as defence coach today,

Big blow for us but very pleased for him - though would rather he wasn't going to Wales as he's genuinely an incredible defence coach
Defence has been one of our key features since he arrived - think this season we've conceded 5 fewer tries than next best and 10(?) fewer than third
Oh really? Interesting. It seemed like it was going to be Gustard (who I would of been very happy with).

Know less about Forshaw but I like the little stuff I've read about him and although your biased you're also well informed on him so pleased he comes with a ringing endorsement.

Like the idea that we are targeting northerners a la Shaun Edwards. Tough fuckers who bring good attitude, especially to defence. Sorry not sorry he's leaving you.

Sounds like Alex King will be appointed as attack coach.
Yeah sounds like it's Forshaw, King and Johnathan Thomas as skills and contact coach with Humphrey's remaining. Pretty pleased with that. Ideally would've liked a sexy southern hemisphere attack coach but King has worked with Wales before and is decent so happy enough.

I wonder how much we had to shell out for these guys. I think Thomas was free as not in a job but I imagine King and Forshaw would've cost a bit.

Maybe Gatland passed on Gustard because he realised how important Edwards was during his last stint and thought I need a dude with a thick Wigan accent screaming "******* hit him" at the boys.

Good quotes from Foreshaw especially. I know it's a bit cliche the whole getting excited about defensive work but it's so true but you need real characters to really get that across in my opinion. Gats thanking Sale was a nice little touch though standard I suppose. Excited about the 6N now. I'm not expecting any higher than 3rd and we may finish 5tj but still looking forward about what kind of performances we can put together c even if they're only for 30/40 mins. We need something tangible to build on. Big task for a brand new group though.

Yeah even knowing next to nothing about him other than watching sale, and therefore their defence, here and there over the years, if you're in a top level job like that for 10 years you're doing something right and are obviously hugely respected.

Same, tbh
Time has been moving weirdly recently - Sanderson just had his two year anniversary with us and it feels like he's barely arrived
Has Sale's defence shown sudden improvements over the past one or two years or was there a noticeable improvement when Forshaw arrived?

Has Sale's defence shown sudden improvements over the past one or two years or was there a noticeable improvement when Forshaw arrived?
I think it was a noticeable bump when he arrived and then gradually got better and better from there - he was a pretty novice coach when he joined us (was a S&C coach in league, then did three seasons at Connacht) so you can see he's been honing his craft
Everyone who's worked with him always says how good he is, and I think the results speak for themselves

Squad announced Tuesday. Will be interesting to see who's the captain.

Really interested to see who he selects as our 12 and 15 options as well as back up to Faletau.

Honestly, it's been a balmy few months. Welsh rugby was facing the abyss at the end of the AI's, but my optimism has grown since. The regions, whilst not always getting results, have been playing well with a ton of young talent on show. It appears that 3 regions have made it through to the knockout stages of europe, who could have predicted that?

There's a ton of competition for places going into the 6N, with tighthead and fullback the only positions where we're looking a little thin.

Very much looking forward to the upcoming squad announcement and 6n.

This is what I'd like to see (assuming it's a 36 man squad and not a 32)

LH - Smith, Carre, Thomas
Hooker - Owens, Lake, Roberts
TH - Lewis, Francis, Wainwright
Row - AWJ, Beard, Daf Jenkins, R. Davies
Flankers - Tips, Morgan, Basham, Tshiunza
8 - Faletau, Moriarty

9 - Williams, Hardy, Blacker (Webb is injured by the looks of it)
10 - Biggar, Owen Williams, Jarrod Evans
12 - Kieran Williams, Hawkins
13. North, Grady
Wing - Adams, Dyer, LRZ, Lane
15 - Williams, Ioan Lloyd

There's a few there that you definitely think won't make it. Ioan Lloyd is the obvious first one, imagine it'll be Halfpenny but if Lloyd isn't there I'd like Tom Rogers to be selcted even though he seems to play more on the wing. Lane is more likely but Cuthbert or a Giles/Conbeer/Ashton Hewitt would be my preference over him personally personally.

Other than that all of my Center picks, other than North, are far from guaranteed but there's a decent chance at least 1 of those 3 will be selected. You could see Patchell getting selcted and to a lesser extent Priestland as well so those 2 back up 10 positions up for grabs.

In the pack I don't think Basham will be quite up Gatlands street so expect to see Reffell selected which I won't be unhappy about even though I love Basham. Rhys Davies and Daf Jenkins are 50/50 perhaps Seb Davies ahead of them but with Rowlands out we don't have loads. Wainwright gets in by default as I don't know what other TH we'd select who is available and if Dillon Lewis doesn't recover in time we could be in a bit of trouble there.

Very close to what I'd like to see.

Not sure yet about Wainwright, that Georgia game was worrying. How long is WGJ out for, as he'd be my choice behind Francis and Lewis? How about Asseratti? Doesn't get a huge amount of gametime at Cardiff though, but seems a decent scrummager and offers a lot around the park.

I'm not a fan of Beard at all, but I expect to see him in the squad, and probably starting too. For me all he offers is height though, so he's decent in the lineout (although Tipiric is better and is the go-to for Wales and Ospreys) + maul. Offers very little otherwise, although his hands are decent for a big man on occasion. He's just not physical enough for a bloke his size! I'd like to see Christ play at lock in his place thus freeing up an extra slot in the backrow.

I love Basham too, at his best he's almost the perfect blend of Tipuric and Warburton, but he's not been at his best recently, and handling errors do blot his copybook on occasion. Reffell has some dog in him which I like. Easy either way tbh, both are class.

How about Morgan Morris at 8? I know there's questionmarks about his size for internatonal rugby, but he keeps delivering for the Ospreys, what more can you ask. Feels a little like the critisism Navidi used to face until Gats gave him a chance and proved everybody wrong inc. Gats. I like Moriarty, but maybe Morris offers more to his game with his ability over the ball, whilst also strong in the carry?

Don't see Ioan Lloyd anywhere close to the squad unfortunately. His career seems to have stalled since his injury v Scarlets. I'd go into the tournament with Adams as first choice fullback, and include another winger such as Conbeer in the squad.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not sure on Waiwright either but not got many options at TH at the moment.

I have the same reservations about Beard but to be fair to him he's put in a couple of good performances against Montpellier and is experienced. Wish the squad was getting announced today.

Latest posts