• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

Wales squad - forwards (20): Rhys Carre, Wyn Jones, Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake, Ken Owens (capt), Bradley Roberts, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard, Rhys Davies, Dafydd Jenkins, Alun Wyn Jones, Teddy Williams, Taulupe Faletau, Jac Morgan, Tommy Reffell, Justin Tipuric, Christ Tshiunza, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs (17): Kieran Hardy, Rhys Webb, Tomos Williams, Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Owen Williams, Mason Grady, Joe Hawkins, George North, Nick Tompkins, Keiran Williams, Josh Adams, Alex Cuthbert, Rio Dyer, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams.

I'd give that squad an 8/10. Very pleased to see Rhys Davies, Grady, Daf Jenkins and Kieran Williams in.

I was thinking last night who's going to be the player no one sees coming and I was like there isn't any, everyone has been talked about (even Wainwright as everyone knew Gatland loves him) but then he goes and selects Teddy Williams who literally no one was talking about. Good old Gats keeping everyone on their toes.

Sad to see no Jarrod Evans but then my main problem with Patchell hasn't been Patchell the player just that you can't rely on him injury wise and at the end of the day he's fit and playing well so can't be too annoyed even if I'd rather Evans was in. Owen Williams is a sensible pick.

I initially read it as we have some very old, experienced players, not older, very experienced players.

I initially read it as we have some very old, experienced players, not older, very experienced players.
Got a nice blend in there of youth and experience. Think he'll lean towards the experience against Ireland but hopefully we see some younger players given a chance later in the tournament.

He must of had some good news re Brown and his injury but still a risk considering his lack of rugby this season but pleased he's in. Didn't have much choice at TH tbh.

Yeah, I would've had him in. It's not just that Wyn Jones hasn't played much rugby but he also hasn't been in good form when he has played. Last time he was playing well was in the 2021 6N. I guess Gatland wil fancy he can get him back to his previous form. Harsh on Smith though who's been playing well and deserves the spot on merit.

I think this is more or less what the team against Ireland will look like. Bench is harder to call.

Carre, Owens, Francis, Beard, AWJ, Morgan, Tipuric, Faletau, Williams, Biggar, Adams, Tompkins, North, Dyer, Williams

Bench: Lake, Thomas, Lewis, Jenkins, Reffell, Hardy, Owen Williams, Cuthbert.

I'd like to see us throw caution to the wind early doors, I doubt we'll beat Ireland with our strongest team at the minute so might as well give some a baptism of fire.

Carre, Lake, Brown, Rhys Davies, Daf Jenkins, Tshiunza, Tipuric, Faletau, Williams, Biggar, Adams, Kieran Williams, Grady, Dyer, Williams

Bench: Roberts, Thomas, Lewis, Beard, Morgan, Hardy, Patchell, Hawkins.

I know that the Welsh having a total of about 3 different last names has always been a joke but 24% of your backs being called Williams has to be a new record.

Whilst I'm pretty happy with the squad, there's a few lucky players and a few unlucky + there's still potential for a very uninspiring 15 which I hope Gatland doesn't go for. I can accept a few selections where experience may need to trump youth to avoid throwing in too many youngsters together, but hopefully they'll be limited.

As I mentioned Nicky Smith is really hard done by, his all round game has been excellent, whilst Wyn Jones has barely played. Hopefully Carre will start though and I'm still happy with that.

Morgan Morris should really be in ahead of Wainwright who hasn't really kicked on since 2019. I love the idea of Wainwright, with his pace and dynamism a potent combo, but too many mistakes kreep into his game, and I don't think he rolls his sleeves up enough when the going get's tough. If not Morris, then Moriarty would offer a little more physicality which might otherwise be lacking in the backrow selection.

I'm still gutted that Jarrod Evans misses out again. I like Owen Williams and Patchell, but Evans has been consistently grrat this season whilst Patchell has barely played and Williams coulf be a better option at 12.

Webb has played well, but I think he'll be badly exposed by the pace of international rugby. Blacker is playing well!

Not a fan of Cuthbert and Halfpenny either. If you want a big, fast winger with dodgy defense pick the younger Lane! As for Halfpenny, I know the options are slim at fullback, but that's why Adams and/or LRZ need to be developed there! There's a few good, young wingers like Conbeer, Giles, or Hewitt knocking on the door.

Just hoping that Gats doesn't go with a 15 of Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Francis, Beard, AWJ, Wainwright, Tips, Faletau, Webb, Biggar, Cuthbert, Tompkins, North, Liam Williams, Halfpenny - that would be a little tragic given the youngsters included in the squad.

Last edited:
Gatland has said if he'd been in charge over the last 3 years then the squad would have been younger. I think Pivac tried, but he didn't get the balance right and poor results made him go more conservative and stick with older players.

Having said that, while I know he's like a demigod in Wales, I think if AWJ is still your starting lock at the WC then Wales have no chance. I get keeping him for experience, but he's not the player he was and it just highlights how desperate some of the selections are due to a lack of other options.

I think Rhys Davies might start ahead of AWJ v Ireland. He's big, physical, carries well and playing some great stuff right now. Just what's needed. I'd like to see Beard binned in favour or Dafydd Jenkins or Tshiunza alongside him, but accept that's unlikely.

What I'm happy about with this squad is thay whilst AWJ is still included, Gat's has also included just about every other second row currently fit/available other than Seb Davies. I think that shows he's going to stary to look past AWJ unless Jones really steps up again like he did v Aus last time out.

Gatland has said if he'd been in charge over the last 3 years then the squad would have been younger. I think Pivac tried, but he didn't get the balance right and poor results made him go more conservative and stick with older players.

Having said that, while I know he's like a demigod in Wales, I think if AWJ is still your starting lock at the WC then Wales have no chance. I get keeping him for experience, but he's not the player he was and it just highlights how desperate some of the selections are due to a lack of other options.
Yeah a little dig that. Funny as well as Pivac was on some pod a couple of days ago saying he's left wales in good shape with the youngsters he's brought through.

Last game against Australia AWJ was immense. Your point is fair though and we do need to look past him but he should 100% be in this squad on merit and probably the starting 15 against Ireland but past that we need to looking at Jenkins and Davies. I don't think AWJ offers much off the bench either, better to let him empty his tank and take him off after an hour. If you don't start him I'd rather not have him on the bench at all.

The hardest prediction to make is what he does at 6 and 12. Does he go for a big destructive 6 like Tshiunza or does he go for 2 7s like we did against Australia with Morgan and Tipuric who he was both very complimentary of when he was a pundit for that game. 12 could be anyone of Tompkins, Hawkins or Kieran Williams. Hunch says it's the same back row that played Australia and Tompkins at 12 but it's anyone's guess really.

The only other contentious position I see is who plays on the other wing is it Cuthbert or Dyer? Adams will be nailed on as one wing, I hope he goes for Dyer on the other.

Latest posts