Welsh tour to Canada and the USA

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Thingimubob, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

Just wondering what players people think will travel on the Welsh tour as the 13 Welsh Lions travel to South Africa. Should be a good mix of young up and coming players with a few experienced heads, including Ryan Jones and James Hook (unless one or both are called up to the Lions because of injury).
    We're likely to see players like Dan Biggar, Jason Tovey, Kristian Phillips, Tom James, Sam Warburton all get a chance out there. Will be interesting to see if Bearman gets a cap too, because I think he'll be qualified for Wales by then. Nicky Robinson should go as well, as he's playing very well at the moment, far better than Hook in my opinion.

My starting XV:

15. Jason Tovey
    14. Kristian Phillips
    13. Jamie Robinson/Jonathan Davies
    12. Andrew Bishop/James Hook
    11. Tom James
    10. Nicky Robinson/Dan Biggar
    9. Dwayne Peel
    8. Sam Warburton/Ryan Jones
    7. Ben Lewis/Robin Sowden-Taylor
    6. Ryan Jones/Joe Bearman
    5. Ian Gough
    4. Luke Charteris
    3. John Yapp
    2. Gareth Williams (the form Hooker in Wales - unlucky not to be selected much by Gatland)
    1. Rhys Thomas

Replacements
    16. Huw Bennett/Richard Hibbard
    17. Duncan Jones
    18. Bradley Davies
    19. Joe Bearman/Sam Warburton
    20. Martyn Roberts
    21. Dan Biggar/James Hook
    22. Andrew Bishop/Jamie Robinson/Sonny Parker/Jonathan Davies

Think that's round about the starting 22, though players like Deiniol Jones, Ben Lewis (if fit), Dafydd Jones are likely to go. Would be a waste not to bring the Sevens Stars who won Wales the Sevsn World cup like Aled Thomas, Tom Isaacs, Aled Brew and Tal Selley.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Ben Lewis wont be fit. Tal Selly, Sonny Parker and Aled Brew's boats have long sailed for Wales and I dont think they are good enough anyway. Most of the names you have listed there Id go with also.

Would also take

Ceri Jones
    John Thomas
    Warren Fury
    Richard Fussell
    Rob Higgett
    Morgan Stoddart

4. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 23 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Whoops, forgot about Fussell, especially since he's one of the form Wings in Wales. I'd start him at 14 ahead of Kristian Phillips, but game time would do Phillips good. With Stoddard, teh fullback berth should be shared between him and Tovey for me, though I see Tovey as Wales's future fly-half (I think he's a bit better than Biggar tbh).

5. M Two One

M Two One Guest

Will be attending the match at Toyota Park. I only live a few minutes from the stadium.

6. cyRil

cyRil Guest

Tovey is streets ahead of Stoddart, and I agree we will see him in the Wales 10 shirt in the future.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!