• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wendyball winning friends and ... well ... being complete prats

J

Jethro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Frank Farina tells NRL, AFL told to grow up over Cup bidArticle from: Font size:

FORMER Socceroos coach Frank Farina has told the NRL and AFL to grow up and accept Australia's World Cup bid is bigger than them.

Farina says rival codes attempting to derail Australia's bid to host the tournament in 2018 or 2022 should realise their place in the sporting world.
"The fear of the unknown is the biggest thing for these other sports - they would never have seen an event like this in their lives," Farina said.

"It's different when you talk about rugby union or rugby league World Cups. They pale into insignificance when you talk about this event.

"I keep hearing the true World Cup being referred to as the second biggest sporting event in the world behind the Olympics.

"That's wrong - it's the biggest sporting event in the world."

Farina was confident that support from the federal and state governments for Australia's World Cup bid would overrule any attempts to sabotage the event by the likes of AFL boss Andrew Demetriou or his NRL counterpart David Gallop.

Gallop will today meet with Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley, who has been forced into damage control this week after bid objections raised by rival codes.

"The arguments from the NRL and the AFL shouldn't be an issue because the FFA have the governments on their side," Farina said.

With the successful bidders for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to be announced in December next year, Farina said there was more than enough time for NRL, AFL and rugby union officials to make alternative plans.

Source : Courier Mail[/b]

First up didn't Farina get the sack after his second drink driving offense? Pot ... kettle ...

From what I've been reading both the AFL and NRL have offered compromise deals which the Wendyball people have rejected in one hell of a dummy spit. The other three football codes, including Rugby here, are businesses with their own obligations to meet, they can't simply hand over every stadium in the country to these prats. What stadium in this country has been specifically built for Wendyball? If it's as big as Farina claims then maybe the FFA can pony up for a couple of new places rather than throw their toys out of the play pen when the AFL and NRL quite rightly refuse to roll over and ask for the lube.

Am neither here nor there on Oz hosting the Wendyball world cup btw, would definitely go to matches if held in Gosford.

Well, considering that 2010 is in South Africa, and 2014 is in Brazil, I think 2018 is almost certainly going to be in Europe. England are bidding, as are Spain & Portugal, and Belgium & Holland. I can't really see the flatlands as a threat, so I think it will be a contest between England and Iberia, who'll both hold great world cups if they had the chance. Could be an oppurtunity for Spain to hold a racism-free event as well.

Maybe Aus in 2022, but I can't say I'd be happy. It'll be well organised and attended, since Australians seem to love anything to do with sport, but I'd hate for a country like Australia with a thriving indigenous football code as well as rugby to be polluted by football. There's only so much room for winter team sports in any one country, and 3 seems to be the upper limit. Even with 3, we've had to move League into the Summer. So I desperately don't want to see football become more popular in a country with such a great tradition in both codes of rugby, plus its own unique sport in Aussie Rules.

Ginger Soccer, to differentiate from Rules, is on the rise in Australia. The current "A" league is looking to expand with the addition of a couple more teams. The 2010 WC is going to really cement the sport as our second football code I believe over the next few years. Nothing is ever going to get close to AFL in this country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Dec 17 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ginger Soccer, to differentiate from Rules, is on the rise in Australia. The current "A" league is looking to expand with the addition of a couple more teams. The 2010 WC is going to really cement the sport as our second football code I believe over the next few years. Nothing is ever going to get close to AFL in this country.[/b]
The A-league has been terrible this year. It has probably overtaken union now but will never get past league. Both the new teams have largely failed and most teams get crowds of about 6 or 7 thousand. The new teams are hardly a threat as they will just split the market in half. If the A-league was on at the same time as the NRL or AFL it would be very embarrassing.

I just hate the arognace. Yes football is big, but how dare him tell other sports to essentially roll over and realise that their needs arn't as important as footballers. Pathetic. And the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting competition in the world, so it hardly "pale into insignificance when you talk about this event". What a prat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 17 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just hate the arognace. Yes football is big, but how dare him tell other sports to essentially roll over and realise that their needs arn't as important as footballers. Pathetic. And the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting competition in the world, so it hardly "pale into insignificance when you talk about this event". What a prat.[/b]
I don't agree about the third biggest sporting event in the world. It wouldn't even be top 20.

I agree that soccer is being unreasonable. The FFA can't expect a minor sport to be able to jump over the two main football codes without compensation.

Every web site I can find indicates that the RWC is the 3rd largest sporting event in the world. To suggest it wouldn't be in the top 20 is ludacris.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/114464

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/destinationne...id=2034828.html

http://www.aucklandnz.com/index.php/conten...d=977&book=

I mean I'm sure that there is a good chance that some of them are wrong, but it seems that every figure I find, we are the third largest sporting event in the world behind the Summer Olympics and of course the Soccer World Cup. Remember that events such as the Superbowl are annual events, so while they attract huge numbers, they happen every year, so less people watch them as they do the RWC which happens every four years. The 2007 RWC made huge amounts of money and was the largest sporting event of 2007 in terms of viewers at least. Rugby is also competed in by quite a few countries, so that again means a larger viewing auidence, as apposed to sporting events in which are based for only a few countries.

How is it not in the top 20 again? or was that a guess?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 18 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Every web site I can find indicates that the RWC is the 3rd largest sporting event in the world. To suggest it wouldn't be in the top 20 is ludacris.[/b]
You called?

ludacris9.jpg

In further developments

1. Asian Football association wants Wellington out of the "A" league as it's from a different conference. Surprisingly the Aussies are standing firm and want NZ involvement.

2. Confirmed expansion of two additional clubs, Sydney Rovers and haven't found the other one yet.

3. Not sure where people are getting their crowd figures the FAA is reporting on average just over 10k per game, which is actually pretty good considering a few NRL teams don't get anything near that.

4. Rumours of some clubs being in a tad of finance trouble at the moment.

People aren't taking into account player numbers at all levels of the sport. Soccer is blitzing league in Australia on that measurement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Dec 18 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In further developments

1. Asian Football association wants Wellington out of the "A" league as it's from a different conference. Surprisingly the Aussies are standing firm and want NZ involvement.

2. Confirmed expansion of two additional clubs, Sydney Rovers and haven't found the other one yet.

3. Not sure where people are getting their crowd figures the FAA is reporting on average just over 10k per game, which is actually pretty good considering a few NRL teams don't get anything near that.

People aren't taking into account player numbers at all levels of the sport. Soccer is blitzing league in Australia on that measurement.[/b]
Sure, and I'm not saying Soccer isn't important. I just believe that the attitude of many public football figures, are hurting their reputations by brushing other sports aside and making stupid comments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Dec 18 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In further developments

People aren't taking into account player numbers at all levels of the sport. Soccer is blitzing league in Australia on that measurement.[/b]
Average A-League attendances

2009/2010 9,500
2008/2009 12,180
2007/2008 14,610
2006/2007 12,927
2005/2006 10,955

Things aren't all rosy in soccer. Remember that soccer only has to compete with the odd cricket match. If they went up against the NRL or AFL the would get 6-7 thousand max. This s an interesting article about crowds in Australia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Australi...all_code_crowds . Screw those who don't like Wikipedia BTW.

Asian football has never liked the Phoenix. The FFA seems to want to keep us in there, it's not like we are the worst team in the competition.

The other expansion club is the Melbourne Heart. It's a joke. Melbourne average about 20,000 right now. The Heart, as far as I understand, will play at the same ground as the Victory (the new bubbledome) and have no separate geographical areas. I think we are just going to go from one Melbourne team getting 20,000 to two getting 12,000. It is just splitting the market. The Rovers will split the market too but at least they are Western Sydney based. The two new expansion teams haven't worked either. Gold Coast have had to cap their crowds at 5,000 while the Fury average a modest 6,500.

I think there are more soccer players here than rugby players, it doesn't make it a bigger sport. Soccer will always win out in participation but, although I like it, god forbid it ever becomes the biggest sport in Australia/New Zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 18 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Every web site I can find indicates that the RWC is the 3rd largest sporting event in the world. To suggest it wouldn't be in the top 20 is ludacris.

I mean I'm sure that there is a good chance that some of them are wrong, but it seems that every figure I find, we are the third largest sporting event in the world behind the Summer Olympics and of course the Soccer World Cup. Remember that events such as the Superbowl are annual events, so while they attract huge numbers, they happen every year, so less people watch them as they do the RWC which happens every four years. The 2007 RWC made huge amounts of money and was the largest sporting event of 2007 in terms of viewers at least. Rugby is also competed in by quite a few countries, so that again means a larger viewing auidence, as apposed to sporting events in which are based for only a few countries.

How is it not in the top 20 again? or was that a guess?[/b]
I just read your links and some of those figures are impressive. The top 20 includes annual events. Things like the EPL and Champions League surely generate more interest across the world than the RWC. Superbowl goes out to over 200 countries I read recently. Things like the IPL, Tour de France, NBA etc are all massive. The RWC gets 4 mill NZers, 80 mill from Britain and Ireland, 70 mill from France, 50 mill from South Africa and 30 mill from Aus (even though most don't really care). The rest is just a few fans scattered here and there. There are so many countries in the world that just don't care about it. Besides only 5 countries are good enough to win it, other events have more quality teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Dec 18 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 18 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read your links and some of those figures are impressive. The top 20 includes annual events. Things like the EPL and Champions League surely generate more interest across the world than the RWC. Superbowl goes out to over 200 countries I read recently. Things like the IPL, Tour de France, NBA etc are all massive. The RWC gets 4 mill NZers, 80 mill from Britain and Ireland, 70 mill from France, 50 mill from South Africa and 30 mill from Aus (even though most don't really care). The rest is just a few fans scattered here and there. There are so many countries in the world that just don't care about it. Besides only 5 countries are good enough to win it, other events have more quality teams.
[/b][/quote]
Regardless of how many countries compete in the RWC to a high level, it is still watched by many countries including Japan, Russa and most countries in Europe, despite not all of them competing. The Super Bowl is one match, played on one day, between two teams that are both from America. It is probably watched more then any other match in the world (bar the Fifa World Cup Final). And also the events you listed are annual events, so as I explained because the RWC is on less more people often watch it. You underestimate how many people from countries such as Japan, Russa, Italy and other countries, who may not compete highly or even watch Rugby often, but tune in to watch the RWC, especially if their team is competing. You watch the football world cup in 2006? why? New Zeland wasn't competing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 18 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Dec 18 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 18 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Regardless of how many countries compete in the RWC to a high level, it is still watched by many countries including Japan, Russa and most countries in Europe, despite not all of them competing. The Super Bowl is one match, played on one day, between two teams that are both from America. It is probably watched more then any other match in the world (bar the Fifa World Cup Final). And also the events you listed are annual events, so as I explained because the RWC is on less more people often watch it. You underestimate how many people from countries such as Japan, Russa, Italy and other countries, who may not compete highly or even watch Rugby often, but tune in to watch the RWC, especially if their team is competing. You watch the football world cup in 2006? why? New Zeland wasn't competing.
[/b][/quote]
If the RWC is the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world then I don't consider being the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world as anything to celebrate.

Latest posts