Western Province Under 21 player Schickerling - Fractured neck

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Rugby Dump article here:
http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/09/38...r-under-21-player-jd-schickerling-breaks-neck

Blue Bulls Under-21 lock Marvin Orie received a one-week suspension after appearing before a SARU disciplinary committee in Pretoria following a citing for a dangerous tackle in the Absa Under-21 Competition on Saturday.

Schickerling, a promising prospect who has represented South Africa at Under-20 level, suffered a fractured cervical spine at the C5/C6 level. Luckily, he is expected to make a full recovery.

It all looks pretty innocent in fairness, but i have a real bug bear about those around the neck tackles... Etzebeth, for example, does them all the time and it seems really prevalent at the moment.

Edited ***le, Schickerling is a WP player.
Also moved to Currie Cup subforum, as it's U21 CC.

Now on topic from me... Always awful to hear these things, especially for such a young guy. Was very relieved to hear he has feeling in the limbs. Hope the lad takes his time and comes back stronger. Lydiate had an awful injury early in his career, but managed a full recovery and really stepped up.

Me and the Bulls fans have had it out in the Currie cup threads. I too am of the opinion head locks need to go. GN10, Etzebeth gets as many as he gives though it should all stop.

Latest posts