• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Western Province vs. The Sharks, Newlands, 9th October

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
WP take on the Sharks this Saturday that will confirm the host of the other semi-final clash
(I typed out a long post, to be undone by keyboard button that highlighted everything, and then a accidently pressed the n button, which then deleted everything :mad: )

So I shall go straight into the possible XV for the Sharks, and leave WP to more 'informed' WP posters on here.
Some Sharks players are going to be rested: Sykes, Daniel, Alberts (injured), JP Pietersen (injured)

15. Lious Ludik
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Stefan Terblanche
12. Riaan Swanepoel/Andries Strauss (Possibly even Lambie)
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Andre Pretorius (Very good outing last week, coach wants a look against a big team)
9. Charl McLeod
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Micheal Rhodes/ Craig Burden (whom reverted to this position when Kyle Cooper came on last week)
6. Jacques Botes
5. Allistair Hargreaves
4. Gerhard Mostert
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Beeeaaassttt! Mtwarira

16. Craig Burden/ Kyle Cooper
17. Eugene van Staden/ Pat Ciliers
18. Micheal Rhodes/ ?
19. Skholiwe Ndlovu
20. Rory Kockett
21. Pat Lambie/ Monty Dumond
22. Luzuko Ndlovu

This is how my WP team would look like for this match:

1.JD Moller
2.Deon Fourie
3.Brok Harris
4.Adriaan Fondse
5.Anton van Zyl
6.Francois Louw
7.Schalk Burger
8.Duane Vermeulen

9.Dewaldt Duvenhage
10.Willem de Waal
11.Bryan Habana
12.Jean de Villiers
13.Jaque Fourie
14.Gio Aplon
15.Conrad Jantjes

16.Hanyani Shimange
17.JC Kritzinger
18.De Kock Steenkamp
19.Pieter Louw/Nick Koster
20.Ricky Januarie
21.Gary van Aswegen
22.Juan De Jongh

Pretty solid WP side that(on paper ofcourse:p).
Hope that the idea of hosting a home semi-final if they win this game even without a bonus point will provide them with enough motivation to play to the best of their abilities and win this match!

hmm, JdJ has been superb up till now. Wouldn't you rather have him in the midfieid?

hmm, JdJ has been superb up till now. Wouldn't you rather have him in the midfieid?

Yes but in the last 20mins or so as an impact player, or for that matter Jaque Fourie as an impact player, don't know...all 3 centers are world class, tough to call!Just hope Allister doesn't go all Pdivvy and pick JDV on the wing with de Jongh and Fourie in the centers!

Having JdV, JdJ and JF in 1 team is too much. I would love to see JdJ play for the Sharks ;)

You're already taking Conrad Hoffman, get your grubby mits off our talent ! :p

Damn I'm looking forward to this one.
I did'n' expect province to lose the Bulls game at Loftus, but I knew it was going to be close (actually picked Province to win it by just 3 points on Superbru), but I wasn't entirely surprised when the bulls took it, they always play a hundred times better against us, because they absolutely hate losing to us.

This game however is a bit different, I really believe we have what it takes to beat the Sharks at Newlands, but the Sharks are a great outfit this year, and more of a challenge than the Bulls at the moment to be honest, so ti should be an awesome match.

Guys, I am not sure but isn't Jaque Fourie still with the Springboks in that bootcamp they have this time of the year?

At Newlands, I'm picking WP as the favourites but only just. Burger being back along with Fourie is huge IMO. Although our depth in the front row is probably going to be exposed with Blaauw and Liebenberg injured..

Gonna be a huge game.

Guys, I am not sure but isn't Jaque Fourie still with the Springboks in that bootcamp they have this time of the year?

All of the Boks have been released for the last league game and the knockout rounds.

Media reports say that Jacque Fourie has been training at wing (14) with Gio Aplon in at fullback (For WP of course)

Well, Fourie is a overrated centre so if you have to put a centre on the wing, pick the most overrated one, Fourie

All of the Boks have been released for the last league game and the knockout rounds.

Media reports say that Jacque Fourie has been training at wing (14) with Gio Aplon in at fullback (For WP of course)

My worst nightmare has come true!Allister Coetzee has gone all Pdivvy:suicide2::shok:

My worst nightmare has come true!Allister Coetzee has gone all Pdivvy:suicide2::shok:

WP's worst nightmare is the Sharks best dream ;)

Personally, unfortunately, I see this move working out, as while Jantjies has been solid of late, this is going to be a tight game, and WP are going to need those line-breakers wherever they can get them

I expect WP to win. Sharks almost never win in Cape Town surprisingly enough. If we lose, at least we won't play WP in the semi's. I prefer to play WP in the final

The Sharks Team has just been announced

15 Pat Lambie
14 Odwa Ndugane
13 Stefan Terblanche
12. Andries Strauss
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Andre Pretorius

9 Rory Kockett
8 Ryan Kankowski
7. Micheal Rhodes
6. Jacques Botes
5. Allistair Hargreaves
4. Gerhard Mostert
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Beast Mtwarira

16. Craig Burden
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Steven Sykes
19. Keegan Daniel
20. Charl McLeod
21. Adi Jacobs
22 Louis Ludik

Nice to see Jacobs back in action, and a chance for Kockett to stake one final claim to the Sharks 9 jersey
Also happy to see Lambie still involved, but would have preferred to see Strauss out in favour of Lambie

Last edited:
The WP team has also been announced and.....

Jean de Villiers is playing at wing! and Ricky Januarie is starting!

15. Gio Aplon
14. Jean de Villiers
13. Jacques Fourie
12. Juan de Jongh
11. Bryan Habana
10. Willem de Waal
9. Ricky Januarie

8. Duane Vermuelan
7. Francious Louw
6. Schalk Burger
5. Anton van Zyl
4. Adriaan Fondse
3. Brok Harris
2. Deon Fourie
1. JD Moller

16. Hanyani Shimange
17. JC Kritzinger
18. De Kock Steenkamp
19. Pieter Louw
20. Dewald Duvenange
21. Lionel Cronje
22. Conrad Jantjies

The highlighted changes confuse me, Ricky Januarie must have had one hell of a week training to start ahead of Duvenange!
And as for Jean de Villiers on the wing, if he plays well for WP (or even badly at that), I can still imagine supporters blaming PdV for 'inventing' the idea

Last edited:
PdV was seen in Cape Town announcing the starting line-up of WP haha

Echo'ing Boggle's words, capie style:

Ag nee, P...

Well, 13-0 after 25 minutes. Sharks not giving a 100%. Miss Jaqueline Fourie is crying like a baby again when Pretorius is tackling him. Great play from Vermeulen today and also Kankowski made some nice tackles. Bismarck du Plessis already conceded 4 penalties!

Latest posts