• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What am I best suited for?

M

ma04hew

Hi there, I've just joined and this will be my first post! w00p!

I'm Matt, 19 and from the UK.

I've recently got into rugby, and was thinking about joining a team next season!

I'm 6 foot 1 (possibly 2, haven't measured myself in a while!), and weigh about 14.5 - 15st. I am not fat, but I'm more overweight and chubby than well-built.

So, what can I do to get into shape? What muscles are key to playing rugby, and how do I train these? And what position do you think I would best be suited to on the field?

Thanks, Matt.

47 views and not 1 reply?

What have I done wrong? And when you reply answer my original questions please.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ma04hew @ Mar 19 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi there, I've just joined and this will be my first post! w00p!

I'm Matt, 19 and from the UK.

I've recently got into rugby, and was thinking about joining a team next season!

I'm 6 foot 1 (possibly 2, haven't measured myself in a while!), and weigh about 14.5 - 15st. I am not fat, but I'm more overweight and chubby than well-built.

So, what can I do to get into shape? What muscles are key to playing rugby, and how do I train these? And what position do you think I would best be suited to on the field?

Thanks, Matt.[/b]
Hi Matt welcome to the forum :)

By the sounds of things you might be best suited to somewhere in the forwards if you think you're a bit chubby. The best area for you to work on would be strength. If you can work on that you'll do alright but of course you'll need to be well rounded because Rugby has changed alot and the game is much faster now.

I reckon you could play flanker if you're a good tackler and have a little bit of busting capabilities or even maybe lock because you don't have to be extremely tall to be a lock because sometimes the players lifting you would rather you be lighter than taller.

Hope this helps any might catch you around the forum :).

Probably back row, if you can run, tackle and ruck then you'll do well.

Just try turning that chub into lean mass and get some fitness.

You could also be a big centre like Bastareaud, maybe not so fast but very powerful and penetrating in attack

Latest posts