• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are the most significant positions in rugby?

S

sammypetter

I know every position in rugby is important in it's own way, but I know there are some more important than others. What are the leading positions in rugby?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sammypetter @ Feb 2 2010, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know every position in rugby is important in it's own way, but I know there are some more important than others. What are the leading positions in rugby?[/b]

No they're not. Just because Fly-halves and Wingers get all the glory means nothing.

Without a prop, there is no scrum.
Without a hooker, there's no point in having a scrum.
Without a second row, the lineout is a waste of time.
Without the backrow, you'll never win the ball.
Without a scrum half, the backs will never see the ball.
Without a flyhalf, the centres will never be able to weave their magic.
Without centres, the wingers will never be able to finish the moves.
Without wingers, the centres will never have that last pass available.
Without a fullback, that final-minute, last-gasp, try-saving, match-winning defender isn't there.

A rugby team is like a perfectly balanced machine, every part completely dependant on the the others. There's no place for individuals on the pitch.

That's why it's called "The Ultimate Team Sport".

I think a better question would be who has the most influence in a rugby game.

As Bullit most correctly said, ever player is as important as the last. However players which seem to get the most glory would be the first 5/8th/Fly Half, as they tend to control the backline, the Number 7 as they steal alot of ball, and the wingers, as they finish off trys. However all of this is rubbish without a team to continue the moves. This isn't a game of individuals, it is a team game plain and simple.That being said, there are no silly questions...

just silly people.

Agree with Bullit...

Although

Your goal-kicker is slightly more important than anyone else, doesn't matter where he plays... Just ask Joel Stransky, Percy Montgomery or Johnny Wilkinson...

Reliable goal-kicker = World Cup wins, Last gasp wins, or steals....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 3 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree with Bullit...

Although

Your goal-kicker is slightly more important than anyone else, doesn't matter where he plays... Just ask Joel Stransky, Percy Montgomery or Johnny Wilkinson...

Reliable goal-kicker = World Cup wins, Last gasp wins, or steals....[/b]
But you don't get goal kicking opertunities without a dominant pack anyway, so it's irrelavant. 2003 World Cup final, while Wilkinson played well, you could say the game was won by Richard Hill.

I would use John Eales as the goal kicker example: One of the best yet he was a lock.

Halfbacks have the most influence on the game. Tighthead prop is the most important position. If you were told you had to have an absolute waste of space of a player in 1 position, tighthead prop is where the most damage to your team would be done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 2 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sammypetter @ Feb 2 2010, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know every position in rugby is important in it's own way, but I know there are some more important than others. What are the leading positions in rugby?[/b]

No they're not. Just because Fly-halves and Wingers get all the glory means nothing.

Without a fullback, that final-minute, last-gasp, try-saving, match-winning defender isn't there.

A rugby team is like a perfectly balanced machine, every part completely dependant on the the others. There's no place for individuals on the pitch.

That's why it's called "The Ultimate Team Sport".
[/b][/quote]

Exactly, each one of the 22 players plays as much of an importance than the others.

there all important and all rely on another to do his job but i will be biased and say you cant win a game without the ball so a good fetcher is terribly important haha

As most have said, Rugby truly relies on the team. If you really are failing at one position, it places immense pressure on someone else on the pitch to make up for the difference. When Leinster's pack really started clicking properly, they propelled to glory. Before that, they had the best backline in rugby but couldn't quite finish it off.
I think that's a safe story to give you.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 2 2010, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree with Bullit...

Although

Reliable goal-kicker = World Cup wins, Last gasp wins, or steals....[/b]

...you left out Matt Dunning. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 2 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Without a fullback, that final-minute, last-gasp, try-saving, match-winning defender isn't there.[/b]
Mega post.

But you left out this:

Without a fullback knocking on there is no ref to award a scrum and start all over again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 2 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But you don't get goal kicking opertunities without a dominant pack anyway, so it's irrelavant. 2003 World Cup final, while Wilkinson played well, you could say the game was won by Richard Hill.[/b]

Ok, um, would they have won that World Cup if it was Charlie Hodgson instead of Johnny Wilkinson? No. It is relevant, because, even if your team is shitter on the day (First game between NZ and SA Tri-Nations 2004) You can still win if you have a very good goal-kicker that can capitalize on opportunities. 3 tries to 1, yet we lost because the kicks never missed. I know the penalties were 'forced' by the 'whole team' but the point is, a crap kicker wouldn't have been able to keep his cool and slot them all.

Another good example, is Francois Steyn, who kicked 60-65m penalties against NZ last year, which resulted in us winning.

It is relevant.

In 2003 England wouldn't have won with their current loose forward trio either. I what you mean in that a goal kicker could have added importance, it's just that they don't get the oppertunities to be good goal kickers without the ball retention of the forwards.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 3 2010, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In 2003 England wouldn't have won with their current loose forward trio either. I what you mean in that a goal kicker could have added importance, it's just that they don't get the oppertunities to be good goal kickers without the ball retention of the forwards.[/b]

Another good example of this is Ireland in the 6 Nations Championship match vs. Wales last year. The forwards set up the position for the drop goals. Without the pack grinding away and and disturbing the defense there is no field position for any kicker to have a decent shot at goal.

Latest posts