What are the rule changes at the Breakdown in S14 Help

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by alled12, Mar 10, 2010.

1. alled12

alled12 Guest

Lads & Ladies
    Could someone please explain the rules changes to me that have been introduced at the break down in the super14 this year?
    Do they also applie in the ANZC, Curry cup and associated leagues.
    many thanks

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

There is no rule change. Just a different way of interpreting the law.
    The tackler no has to release the tackled player before they can contest for the ball. To quote the refs, they say there must be "daylight" between the tackler and tackled before the ball can be contested. If the tackler can't get back to their feet before other player form a ruck they must roll away immediately. Refs have been particularly strict with this.

4. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

One thing I don't understand about this rule. If a player has to be released once tackled, then it contradicts the fact that if a player is released he is allowed to return to his feet.

5. Charles

Charles Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Mar 11 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I think a player can keep going on if he manages to free himself of the tackle/the tackle is not completed. A bit different from the situation where he is tackled to the ground and must release the ball anyway.

6. Boggle

Boggle Guest

Once a players has been tackled, as in on the ground, he is completely out of the game apart from having a single movement with which he may place the ball, thus he cannot simply get back up to his feet and keep running.

He can however place the ball get back up and pick it up again, but the chance of that happening is rather slim as the tackler would have probably gotten up and played the ball himself by then.

I get what Nickdnz is saying though, I've seen countless times how players get tackled to the ground but aren't "held" so they sorta just stagger up and forward a few meters until they are properly held in a tackle. This makes no sense since once you've been tackled and on the ground you may not get back up without placing the ball, just another one of those weird inconsistent laws that make rugby such a funny game at times.

7. Jockstap

Jockstap Guest

Has this new rule made any difference to the super 14 this year, for better or worse?

8. Olyy

Olyy Guest

Momentum plays a part in the tackler-getting-back-up situation. It's like in Rugby League where if you are "held" (you stop still when being tackled, whether standing or not) you are tackled.
    If you get brough to a complete standstill then you're tackled, whereas if you're still sliding and are released you can get back up (if you watch Jamie Roberts play he does this alot, if he's still sliding on the floor he scrabbles forwards).

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I think a lot of what's going on is directives of how refs enforce the laws - In the North there seems to be an advantage bias towards the defending team so attacking players get pinged a lot more for holding-on etc, whereas in the SH they seem to place the advantage with the attackers so the defenders will likely get pinged for interference when contesting the ball.

Because of this, we see a lot more tap-and-go penalties as it does seem to make a phases-until-score style of play, hence the basketball nature of this years Super 14.

10. It'll be interesting to see what sort of effects the differing way of interpeting the laws in the two hemispheres has on the 2011 world cup (in NZ) and what referees are told to do concerning the situation...

11. Rocket Singh

Rocket Singh Guest

Which will probably result in what happened in 2007: ultra conservatism by the refs.

12. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 12 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Leading to another N/Hemisphere team getting to the final?

13. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 12 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    It's not a new rule, it's a new interpretation of an old rule. It has created a much more attractive style of running rugby, but there is still quite a bit of confusion around the rules.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Very dangerous for SH teams if the rules are applied as they were in 2007. We train and play a year for these new rules and if the old rules are applied, it will be hard to get back to the old way of playing, as visa versa. I think the law interpretation for 2011 has to be made clear as soon as possible to let players adjust.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!