• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are your criteria for each position?

CaliRa1

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Chiefs
A thought came to mind of how you guys might determine who would be the top of their position… So please share I would like your input… Help me see the players in a different light

Fullback
Right Wing
Outside Centre
Inside Centre
Left Wing
Fly-Halve
Scrum-Halve
Number 8
Openside Flanker
Blindside Flanker
Right Second Row
Left Second Row
Tight Head Prop
Hooker
Loose Head Prop

Loose head - Solid and strong in the scrum and carry.
Hooker - have a high work rate and solid in the set piece.
Tight head - to dominate the scrum.
Lock (4) - Enforcer type lock
Lock (5) - Line out leader more technical lock of the 2.
Blindside - Tackling machine, the work horse.
Open side - Ruck scavenger, fetcher.
Number 8 - The main ball carrier in the scrum
Scrum half - to provide quick ball to the backs whilst keeping the opposition defensive line honest also to be able to command the forwards.
Fly Half - to be able to evaluate the opposition defence and to judge when to move it, when to kick and when to carry accordingly.
Inside centre - to support the Fly half both attacking and defensively and to be able to play as first receiver if ness.
Outside centre - the main attacking in individual threat to create space wide for the wing.
Wing - to be a be either a true finisher or to be a solid winger who can cover full back if full back goes into attacking line.
Full back - to be able to Individually create something whilst being solid enough to trusted in a one on one situation and also be able to tactically kick to a good standard, Plus point if they can go into the line as a first or second receiver when needed.

I've taken notice that there are different sizes of players at each position also
e.g. Openside Flankers Schalk Burger 193cm 114kg compared to Steffon Armitage 175cm 103kg
e.g. Props Thomas Domingo 173cm 108kg Compared to Uini Atonio 197cm 155kg
Do these size differences have any significance?
Like with props does it affect the scrum?
Or is it a combination of timing technique & size?

I've taken notice that there are different sizes of players at each position also
e.g. Openside Flankers Schalk Burger 193cm 114kg compared to Steffon Armitage 175cm 103kg
e.g. Props Thomas Domingo 173cm 108kg Compared to Uini Atonio 197cm 155kg
Do these size differences have any significance?
Like with props does it affect the scrum?
Or is it a combination of timing technique & size?

It certainly affects certain positions.

To give you an example. The Lions in this year's Super Rugby tournament, had a loosehead prop, hooker and tighthead prop at nearly the same height and all 3 short fellows. They had one of the best success rates at scrum time as they had the advantage of getting underneath their opponent and scrumming them to pop up and concede a penalty.

Height and weight matters for certain positions, and for other not so much.

Interesting topic, OP. I'll show my appreciation by contributing the way I tend prioritise skills per position:

1 - boss the scrum, other than that don't be a liability on defense and clear rucks on attack nothing else is needed if you can boss the scrum.
2 - technically sound at the set piece. generally one expects more though but nothing necessarily specific- Bismarck's strength over the ball at the ruck, Dane Cole's running/support game, Schalk Brits' 7s distribution. Whatever you add, if its on top of sound technique at the set pieces then great.
3 - see loose head but only more so; more emphasis on the scrum.
4 - combination of support at the line-out and power in the scrum as well as clearing out rucks hard and monstering anyone getting close to you in the tackle
5 - taking responsibility for line-out calls and tackling like a demon
6 - tackle like a man posessed and play too the ball; compete for possession at the ruck
7 - one of the two main ball carriers, the main man do cause hurt in collisions be it in carrying or tackling; gain the hard yards bal in hand.
8 - a linking player, good all round skillsets, strong in contact but should be more rounded
9 - the general, the decision maker, the pace setter; should be quick to the breakdown and quick to make decisions and execute them accurately be it shifting teh ball, taking a kick or sniping off the base of the ruck. A crisp, accurate pass and good communication for directing the forwards.
10 - a 2nd 9 but being further out from the ruck/set piece will need to do the kicking if we are looking for yards. Generally take shots at goal but most importantly should be able to take advantage of good attacking ball provided by those inside him through an assumed varied skillset.
11 - if you have any sort of space you should basically be able to score a try whether through pure pace alone, elusiveness or power. One on one, you should be near unstoppable to contain.
12 - should be able to take on some of the responsibilities of your 10 and be complementory to your 13;
13 - defensively sound and organizing the backline defense. Dominant in the collision. Complementory to your 12; between you two you want someone who can make a hard yard or two and someone who can act as a playmaker in the midfield.
14 - See 11. But I'd want you to be able to act as a 2nd 15
15 - Kick returns whether through kicking back better or running well on a counter and knowing when either is best. Should be able to read play and join the line to create opportunities.

Should be noted that TRF_stormer2010's 6 and 7's roles are reversed around most of the world with the exception of France and South Africa (where blindside wears 7 and openside wears 6)

Should be noted that TRF_stormer2010's 6 and 7's roles are reversed around most of the world with the exception of France and South Africa (where blindside wears 7 and openside wears 6)

True. I tend to forgot to either mention that or swap them around. Thanks.

I was told 6 was Schalk Burgers preferred number n that's why he wears that number… I don't know though… Why do they wear different numbers?

Because it's the only position where the position changes relative to a "left to right, top to bottom" numbering system.

They just happen to be in the minority - neither system makes more sense than the other.

Latest posts