• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What changes with Eddie Jones

Hightower

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
So it seems inevitable that Eddie Jones is going to be named next England coach in the next day or two.

What does Jones bring to the table? Is he going to drop Robshaw? Will he play two 7's. Two play makers?

I expect Matt Kvesic and Will Fraser to get a shot. Don't see him insisting on being able to select Armitage etc.

I believe Steve Borthwick will be brought in, would also like to see Shaun Edwards brought in and someone to come in as a potential successor to Jones down the line.

Best thing he brings is an open mind to selection...

Hopefully no more easy rides for Wood and the like.

I really hope not, you'd think EJ would have heard the post RWC chatter from the players, and put two and two together and worked out that the camp had issues.

He's certainly more of a free thinker than Lancaster which has to be a good thing. I expect him to go more offensive with the backs and only use the likes of Barritt when needed. I'd also like Farrell moved out and Shaun Edwards in but not at all sure Farrell can be shifted. In short, I'd love him to be given a clean slate, but the RFU would never do that.

Really pleased with the appointment, hope he scraps the current management team and builds his own. I'd very much like to see an English assistant brought in and groomed to be the successor so we're not in this situation again. I wouldn't be adverse to Borthwick as long as he could show he can prove he has more to offer than a forwards coach. If not I'd be more than happy with him as just forwards coach. Not sure who else would be a fit for that role and happy to take it. Mallinder? O'Shea? (I know he's not English but feels like he's been in the English game for ages) Richards? Baxter?

I can hide it... This is exactly what we needed. I was fed up dreading the 6N a few weeks back. Now I'm excited, right now we have the best set of backs we've had in a long time and he is the man to make them better.

Also looking at his recent success with Japan, their hooker hooked. Simple things that make me feel optimistic.

Now to hope he selects a good coaching team.

If Eddie Jones wants Baxter and Baxter says yes, then great, maybe we have a succession there - although I'd hate to nail it down like that. But that's up to Jones. The priority is for him to have what he needs to succeed now.

Anyway, I don't usually throw my own work up here, but I think this is all mostly relevant and sometimes I can't resist - so here you guys go: http://muchadoaboutrucking.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/gday-mr-jones.html

If Eddie Jones wants Baxter and Baxter says yes, then great, maybe we have a succession there - although I'd hate to nail it down like that. But that's up to Jones. The priority is for him to have what he needs to succeed now.

Anyway, I don't usually throw my own work up here, but I think this is all mostly relevant and sometimes I can't resist - so here you guys go: http://muchadoaboutrucking.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/gday-mr-jones.html

As i said elsewhere would a DOR coaching a top 6 side really want to be England number 2 yet?

Baxter - 44
Mallinder - 49
Cockerill - 44
Mcall - 47
Ford - 50
etc etc.

All have unfinished business at there clubs and have around 10 more years at least at coaching

The only coaches i could see maybe being ask and going are Ryan and maybe COS.

As i said elsewhere would a DOR coaching a top 6 side really want to be England number 2 yet?

Baxter - 44
Mallinder - 49
Cockerill - 44
Mcall - 47
Ford - 50
etc etc.

All have unfinished business at there clubs and have around 10 more years at least at coaching

The only coaches i could see maybe being ask and going are Ryan and maybe COS.

Agree can't see any going. A few assistant coaches could though. Alex King, Alex Sanderson etc...

Press Conference done

First thing to note is that it appears the overseas player rule has been discussed. And EJ is happy with the rule (as am I).

So it remains if you want to play for England you must play in England.

Second thing is coaching staff. Starts job on 1/12 and states he will review coaching performance and speak with individuals.

Will wait and see on that but I suspect that they are toast.

Press Conference done

First thing to note is that it appears the overseas player rule has been discussed. And EJ is happy with the rule (as am I).

So it remains if you want to play for England you must play in England.

Second thing is coaching staff. Starts job on 1/12 and states he will review coaching performance and speak with individuals.

Will wait and see on that but I suspect that they are toast.

And he will want English coaches in his setup to take over by 2019.

Mistake 1 in press conference ":*"I've had a good chat to Ian Ritchie. I*want players who want to play for England*and to play for England*you have to play in the Premiership."

1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Vunipola
9. Simpson
10. Ford
11. May
12. Slade
13. Joseph
14. Wade
15. Watson

16. Marler
17. Youngs
18. Thomas
19. Kruis
20. Clifford
21. Youngs
22. Farrell
23. Daly or Nowell

Give Kvesic a go while Fraser gets used to playing regularly again and O'connor settles, then they can battle for the place.

Let's not die wondering with Wade: give him the full 6N and see how he goes, accepting Brown is unlucky.

Hughes will come into the mix in the autumn.

Last edited:
Good choice, although it could be a lively ride. His track record will command instant respect from the players which is critical and if nothing else an exuberant Aussie will give the squad a much more upbeat feel.

I would be gobsmacked if he hasn't got total freedom to choose his own coaching team. If Farrell retains his place it would be at Jones's say so, at which point I'll start to worry.

On the pitch, as others have said, I'd expect to see our backs being used a lot more. One of his biggest challenges will be changing the mindset from trying not to lose to trying to win.

Latest posts