• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do NZ fans prefer?

Q

QLD

The NPC/ANZC or the super 14?

Do fans NZ fans here prefer the NPC because there's more attachment to the provinces, tribalism and history, compared to the nicknamed Super 14?

I think the NPC is better and deserves more coverage.

I actually prefer Super 14, I think while there isn't the same sort of pride in Super 14, there is a higher level of competition.

I prefer the ANZC over the S14 due to my team being in it rather than supplying players to the big city franchises. Who exactly you are meant to support in 2010 is beyond me as the Bay has players in four out of the five NZ franchises. We did actually have a player, Gordon Falcon, who had a season with the Brumbies a few years back :)

i prefer super 14 but thats probably because me being from wellington, i would rather see my team beat everyone from aus, nz and sa rather than just nz since it would be more of an acomplishment, but i still do like anz cup aswell

ANZC for me. You basically summed it up with the more attachment to the provinces and history, the Ranfurly Shield makes a difference as well. It also should be noted, having no games in the middle of the night helps and afternoon games are always nice. Super 14 has its advantages as well. It is a better level of competition, slightly bigger crowds and more media coverage all make it enjoyable.

Super14 has better competition because they're playing players from overseas and that but I'm more into Npc because it's been around for ages and it closer resembles the type of Rugby I've grown up watching from School and in the local competitions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Oct 17 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What do NZ fans prefer?[/b]
NZhalfbredram.jpg

Just a wee joke... :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 19 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ANZC for me. You basically summed it up with the more attachment to the provinces and history, the Ranfurly Shield makes a difference as well. It also should be noted, having no games in the middle of the night helps and afternoon games are always nice. Super 14 has its advantages as well. It is a better level of competition, slightly bigger crowds and more media coverage all make it enjoyable.[/b]

The revert back to day time games sure has helped ANZC :bravo:

It's been awesome having Thursday Rugby now we only have to wait 3 days before we get our next fix. Npc all the way Super14's cool but most teams including my beloved Wellington Hurricanes are leeches just waiting to suck the blood out of the next crop of youngsters coming from all the other provinces.

They should change the name back to Npc too because I still say it because I haven't really gotten use ot saying Anz Cup and that just doesn't sound right anyway.

I would go for S14 and ANZC especially as one stops the other one starts :)
As I'm a Waikato boy I have been spoiled this season with the Chiefs ending on a second place and Waikato preforming not that bad.

As a Canadian who doesn't know the details I find the NPC/ANZ kind of confusing. How do the teams in the NPC relate to Super 14 teams - i.e. are the Crusaders in S14 and Canterbury in NPC the same team. Are the "smaller" teams in the NPC assigned to one of the S14 teams?

I also find it strange that the best players, to use McCaw and Carter as two examples, are in and out of the Provincial teams depending on the test schedule. Is that the way this has always worked?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 26 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a Canadian who doesn't know the details I find the NPC/ANZ kind of confusing. How do the teams in the NPC relate to Super 14 teams - i.e. are the Crusaders in S14 and Canterbury in NPC the same team. Are the "smaller" teams in the NPC assigned to one of the S14 teams?

I also find it strange that the best players, to use McCaw and Carter as two examples, are in and out of the Provincial teams depending on the test schedule. Is that the way this has always worked?[/b]
There are 14 teams in the Npc who come together to make up the 5 New Zealand Super14 Franchise teams . Wellington Hurricanes consisting of Wellington Lions, HawkesBay Magpies, Manawatu Turbos and Taranaki players. Auckland Blues are Auckland, North Harbour, Counties Manukau Steelers and Northland Taniwha. Waikato Cheifs are Waikato and Bay Of Plenty Steamers players. Otago Highlanders are Otago and Southland Stag players and the Canterbury Crusaders are Canterbury and Tasman players.

Yes the elite players that come in and out of the Npc to play for the All Blacks it has always worked like this as far as I can remember. There was a huge debate about it when Wellingtion Lions coach Jamie Joseph earlier this season decided to leave his All Black players out in favour of players already playing because he felt it took away from the team because of the new combinations and than when the All Blacks are gone they have to keep readjusting.

Just a slight error there J24..... Counties-Manukau comes under the Chiefs franchise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Oct 26 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just a slight error there J24..... Counties-Manukau comes under the Chiefs franchise.[/b]
Do they? I just assumed because it's part of Auckland and fullaz like Joeli Vidiri and Jonah Lomu played for them it was part of the Blues franchise. Also most of the New Zealand Super14 franchises aren't restricted to players from the teams that fall under their area but we'll just keep it simple for wayner.

I can see where it would get confusing thou seeing McCaw and Carter playing for the Crusaders, Canterbury than mid season they're plucked out to play for the All Blacks and than suddenly they're thrusted back into the Canterbury squad again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Oct 26 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Oct 26 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a slight error there J24..... Counties-Manukau comes under the Chiefs franchise.[/b]
Do they? I just assumed because it's part of Auckland and fullaz like Joeli Vidiri and Jonah Lomu played for them it was part of the Blues franchise. Also most of the New Zealand Super14 franchises aren't restricted to players from the teams that fall under their area but we'll just keep it simple for wayner.
[/b][/quote]

At the beginning, the Blues franchise consisted of Auckland, Counties & Northland while the Chiefs had Waikato, BoP & North Harbour.

That's why the likes of Vidiri & Lomu were playing for the Blues and Ian Jones, Frank Bunce were playing for the Chiefs, while the excess players were put into the draft.

I'm not sure what year they re-arranged it to the current one.

hope that answered the question.

For me I personally prefer the Air New Zealand Cup. :)

I'd pick following Southland over the Highlanders or Hurricanes any day!

Latest posts