• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE IRB's RULES ON NATIONAL SELECTION ?

G

GimleyUK

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE IRB's RULES ON NATIONAL SELECTION ???

DO YOU FEEL YOUR COUNTRY OR OTHER COUNTRIES ARE FAIRLY REPRESENTED BY THE SELECTION OF PLAYERS THAT REPRESENT THAT COUNTRIES NATIONAL TEAMS ???

Incase you are unaware of our strange rules of National Patronage in Rugby, I have tried to explain a little about it and its history. Its controversy has wrangled the game as long as we have played International Rugby.

Every National Team can be accused of playing Legally Qualified players that are not born of the country they represent, recent arguments have been raised around Ricky Flutey possibly playing for the Lions, when he played for the New Zealand Maoris and defeated the Lions when they toured New Zealand 2005. Raising very mixed opinions on 606 to Flutey's situation.

New Zealand itself have often fielded players who were also qualified for Fiji, Samoa, Tonga by birth, as do Australia. France have selected Kiwis, South Afriacan's and many Basque, Romanian and Polish players before.

Wales and Scotland at one point actually advertised for foreign Welsh or Scottish Qualified players to come to The UK and play top class rugby.

After the "Granny-gate" controversy, revolving around Welsh Players Brett Sinkinson and Shane Howarth, who played international rugby for Wales in the late 1990's, the IRB changed the ruling that if you had previously played for one nation at an adult representative level, could not play International rugby for another Nation afterwards.

Shane Howarth had been capped by New Zealand and was later capped by Wales. Brett Sinkinson and Shane Howarth both claimed to have Grandmothers that originated from Wales, and were proved wrong by the Welsh Press. Therefor they had to retire from International Rugby after "Granny-Gate"'s resultant change of the IRB's Rules on National Qualification.

Qualification for representing a National team is based on a players entitlement. They must prove if questioned either three years residency, or Parental connections. Should one of a players grandparents have been a citizen of a certain country, that player is eligible to represent that country.

Brent Cockbain was born in Australia, his brother Matt played for Australia, their Parents are Welsh and therefor either of them could have played for Wales or Australia, should they have been picked to do so.

Lesley Vainikolo, the Tongan born former New Zealand Rugby League International, qualified to be capped by England, having played rugby league in the UK for six years previous to his switch to Union. He qualifies by having over three years of residency in England.

It is a situation that has been part of Rugby history since the origins of the national game, Russian Prince Alexander Obolensky played rugby for England. His first cap in the 1936, 13-0 victory over the All Blacks which i think he scored a try, was a massive controversy in the Kiwi and British Press, as "THE PRINCE" had not, at that time, become a British citizen.

by the way....!

It appears that the South Africans ( who have there own predicament with National selection, but this due the the Countries Post-Apartheid political intervention), have the least history of selecting players born outside of South Africa.

PS yes this is a copy and paste off 606... i think its an interesting question, 606 is full of morons...! so i stole it...

I've always thought, if you represent a country (or a countries people) at a professional level you should be bound to that country. I don't care much went on in years gone by, rugby is a big boy now...we have to be consistent and not having daft little loopholes like this. I don't mind players coming in and playing through residency, I think there should be a limit as to how many of these players you can have on the field at one time/under contract for a club, and they shouldn't be available for the Lions etc.

It's not fair to bring players in from other countries when so many players go through a countries international ranks and get benched/held-back by someone like...I don't know...Ricky Flutey for instance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Mar 30 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've always thought, if you represent a country (or a countries people) at a professional level you should be bound to that country. I don't care much went on in years gone by, rugby is a big boy now...we have to be consistent and not having daft little loopholes like this. I don't mind players coming in and playing through residency, I think there should be a limit as to how many of these players you can have on the field at one time/under contract for a club, and they shouldn't be available for the Lions etc.

It's not fair to bring players in from other countries when so many players go through a countries international ranks and get benched/held-back by someone like...I don't know...Ricky Flutey for instance.[/b]

Ok so we'll have Thom Evans out of the Scotland team then because he 'held back' young English wingers when he represented England at U16, 18 and 21 levels.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 30 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok so we'll have Thom Evans out of the Scotland team then because he 'held back' young English wingers when he represented England at U16, 18 and 21 levels.[/b]

fair point....

I think to qualify you should have at least one of your parents having been born in the country you wish to play for.

make it a simple law in Rugby

the grey areas of Rugby law are always the most controversial and the least appealing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Mar 30 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 30 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so we'll have Thom Evans out of the Scotland team then because he 'held back' young English wingers when he represented England at U16, 18 and 21 levels.[/b]

fair point....

I think to qualify you should have at least one of your parents having been born in the country you wish to play for.

make it a simple law in Rugby

the grey areas of Rugby law are always the most controversial and the least appealing.
[/b][/quote]

I'm happy with the residency rule though I think it should be extended to 5 years to show proper commitment, because people can and do go abroad for 3 years for work reasons.

I think, to make it simple, the rules should be:

1) You can play for the country in which you were born.
2) You can play for the country in which your mother or father were born. This counts step-parents.
3) You can play for a country in which you have lived consistently for 5 years

Now, put those laws into practice, for me as an example:

I was born in London, hence I'm eligible for England.
My Dad was born in Egypt, so I'm eligible for Egypt.
I've lived in England all my life so that's that.

However, under the current rules, I would also be eligible for Ireland because my Grandma was born in Dublin.

Under my rules, the most recent England team would see:
Simon Shaw eligible for Kenya by birth and England by residency/ birth of parents.
Ugo Monye eligible for England by birth and Nigeria by birth of his parents.
Riki Flutey eligible for New Zealand by birth and ineligible for England needing another 18 months to qualify for residency.
Delon Armitage eligible for Trinidad and Tobago by birth, England by residency/ birth of step-parent, and France by residency.

Sounds about right to me gingergenius. I do agree that 3 years is too short, but residency is important (refer to my post in the Flutey thread).

sounds fair...

as you say five years is a reasonable commitment. should there have to be a rule on residency.

i am welsh born, welsh father irish mother and had to go to school in england, which bar holiday, truancy and rugby tours probably amounts to just about six years.

I was offered england trials at youth level up to under 21. they were very persistent in trying to encourage me to play for England as Gareth Cooper was ahead of me in the Welsh set up. unfortunately i suffered a nasty shoulder injury

i would never play for england or ireland, though if i had to choose between the two obviously at gun point, id play for ireland, as i don't feel english or understand there weird culture and strange ways...!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 30 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
However, under the current rules, I would also be eligible for Ireland because my Grandma was born in Dublin.[/b]

Bog off! Your not welcome :)

So that technically means I would be elligible to play for Wales and England as my mum was born in Liverpool. This is kinda odd as my mum isn't English and considers herself 100% Welsh, she was only born in Liverpool because it was the closest hospital to where they were living in Rhes y Cae just outside Mold!

This just shows that there can be no perfect rules for national selection.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So that technically means I would be elligible to play for Wales and England as my mum was born in Liverpool. This is kinda odd as my mum isn't English and considers herself 100% Welsh, she was only born in Liverpool because it was the closest hospital to where they were living in Rhes y Cae just outside Mold!

This just shows that there can be no perfect rules for national selection.[/b]

i don't really understand your concern here?

you are lucky enough to be able to play for either england or wales should one be lucky enough to select and commandere your fine footballing talents.

i guess you have the option to choose whether red or white suits you more ?

but if for example both your parents were Tongan, you would have to play for Tonga! and not for example Iceland because you live there and you are payed you lots and lots of money to play rugby for a club side...!

Anti mercinary law

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

This just shows that there can be no perfect rules for national selection.[/b]

fine but you'd obviously choose Wales wouldn't you?

There was no real concern, just that it would make no sense for my to represent anyone other than Wales (wish I did have some 'fine footballing talents'). Technically my mom is some part English, because she was born there, but that isn't the case imo.

Where you grow up and where you feel at home determines what nationality you are, not what nationality your parents are. So your example is totally wrong imo, if said player had Tongan parents, so what? If he'd spent his entire life in Iceland (even if he was born in Tonga) then he would have as much right to represent them as he would Tonga, if not more!

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there's no point in putting some rediculously strict laws in place or you're going to offend people, and stop them playing for the country to which they feel they belong. I know the current laws allow for manipulation (Vinikolo playing Lague for NZ then playing for England in Union), but that's his decision, not ours! I wouldn't be against extending the period required to gain residency, but ignoring it alltogether would be criminal.

I think you've gotta realise that not everyone is like you and me, some people don't feel as much loyalty to their country, and once living in a different country for a few years (or growing up in a different country, as the case is with the majority of 'Fijian's', 'Tongans' or 'Samoans' playing for NZ), they consider themselves part of that country and want to represent them in sport.

Originally posted by gingergenius
fine but you'd obviously choose Wales wouldn't you?
Yes because I don't think that where your parents were born changes who you are and where you've grown up. The friends you have, the community you're a part of has a much bigger influence. Though sometimes parents can also have a big influence, keeping the pride etc. alive, teaching you the language. So in the end, I'm saying that everyone is different, and needs to be treated in that way, meaning the laws need to be flexible enough to allow these differences.

I can't make my mind up on the Vinikolo front, in some ways I think it should be his decision, but in others I think he shouldn't have been allowed to represent two different countries at two different sports. If he was a New Zealander when he played League, he should still be a NZer when playing Union.

But

It would be very reasonable to say that Vinikoala Flutey etc probably grew up supporting the all blacks or Tonga, and that if they did not play for england or the lions they would quite reasonably be supporting who ever is playing against England. Especially should it be Tonga or the ABs

Vinikoala played league against the brits and flutey played for the maoris against the brits...

that to me makes a massive case for them to be considered rugby mercinaries.

dont england have plenty of perfectly english wingers or centers to choose from rather than scouring the world for better players they can sneak under the IRBs net ? ? ?

I don't think you can accuse England of 'scouring the world for better players', all they've done is picked a couple of players who have chosen to represent England. It's not as if they've found random Aussie/NZ players with English grandparents ala Wales in the late 90's, with Jason Jones Hughes and Shane Howarth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think you can accuse England of 'scouring the world for better players', all they've done is picked a couple of players who have chosen to represent England. It's not as if they've found random Aussie/NZ players with English grandparents ala Wales in the late 90's, with Jason Jones Hughes and Shane Howarth.[/b]
at least they have some bloody ties to the country, like names, family, etc etc

I was completly shamed by Henrys Auditions for Wales, it was disrespectful to us as a country. i want to whtch a welsh team play. like the ones that just won grandslams not a bunch of kiwis MERCENARIES on a pay tour in red shirts

their ain't main vinikoalis in our phone book mate

they are mercenary players who see the most money to be earnt in england... now flute has jacked wasps for france for even more cash...

for your education i think the definition of the word sums it up perfectly:

mer⋅ce⋅nar⋅y [mur-suh-ner-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -nar⋅ies.
â€"adjective
1. working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal.
2. hired to serve in a foreign army, guerrilla organization, etc.
â€"noun
3. a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
4. any hireling.
Origin:
1350â€"1400; ME mercenarie < L mercēnnārius working for pay, hired worker, mercenary, perh., repr. earlier *mercēd(i)nārius, equiv. to *mercēdin-, s. of *mercēdō, a by-form of mercēs, s. mercēd- payment, wage (akin to merx goods; cf. merchant ) + -ārius -ary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 1 2009, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
at least they have some bloody ties to the country, like names, family, etc etc[/b]

I think that apt choice of word gets to the bottom of what you're trying to say. You're arguing that in order to play for England, you have to have some form of ethnic connection with England, because that's what you mean by 'blood', 'name' and 'family'.

If this really were the case we could scour the whole globe, in particular Australia, NZ, and SA for people with English family and names.

The fact is that being English means you have a personal connection to the country. So that either means you live(d) here or you were brought up by an English parent. Hence we have millions of people of all sorts of ethnicity with all sorts of different names. Residency is a much stronger connection than some tenuous family link.

What's your stance, for example, on the Fijians in our 7s squad who came from the army? I mean, if they're allowed to die for this country they might well be allowed to play rugby for it as well...?

My point is very very simple.

A ) As a rugby fan, i do not want to see Rugby Mercenaries playing for any country,

B ) I want to see a Team that represent my country and my country's players playing such like opposition

C ) I would like the IRB to examine this situation and make a rule that stops the flow of Southern Pacific Islanders, kiwis and Ozzies to other countries to bolster their Rugby Teams.

D ) "Granny-gate" was the most embarrassing thing to happen to the WRU.

I'm not bothered by it really.Sher if you go back far enough everyones irish. Just like Obama. Now we need some gnarly Saffa tighthead with a tenious irish connection!!!!

Latest posts