• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do you think Lomu vs Alensana tuilagi or manu

04perryo

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Worcester
If lomu ran into any of the tuilagis i said do you think he would be able to run through them as he can with anyone else. Same with a tuilagi running into lomu?

Manu doesn't really fit in with the other two,

I think either would run over the other, to be honest - Both hard runners, but not known for their rock solid defence (not slagging off their defence or anything, but it's not what they're known for)
Get Alesana running at Lomu, he'd bounce him
Get Lomu running at Alesana, he'd bounce him too

Yeah i agree with you there but the reason why i said manu was because he is a very strong tackler

Id say Tuilagi hasn't made an impact as big as Lomu because Rugby players are generally alot bigger and more muscular now than 15 years ago. I doubt Lomu would make the impact he did then if he came in as a 19 year old now. So any guess is good really.

You are forgetting probably the biggest Tuilagi - Henry. Either way Lomu would bounce all of them, none would bounce Lomu because he was not the best at defending and usually went for the 'wrap' tackle when against large opposition in stead of the front-on tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lomu would monster the Tuilagi's. He was bigger and stronger than any of them. He's a freak. He was 6'5'' and 120kgs when playing rugby, so the vid exaggerates, but he was still bigger and stronger. Look at what he did to Phil Vickery...

Jonah Lomu = 120-125kg, 6'5, 100m in 10.8
Alesana Tuilagi = 117 kg, 6'1, Slower than 10.8.

No contest.

Jonah Lomu in his prime run into Jerry Collins in his prime i would love to see what happens.
Nevermind the Tuilagi's
Jerry Collins is smaller but can tackle...

Jerry Collins v Jonah Lomu would be amazing (I've thought of that before funny enough). I think it would be the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, the universe would implode.

Henry Tuilagi would win overall if both were strictly doing head to head contact. The rest of the tuilagi brothers would not be able to do the same. Just Henry. he was about 10kg heavier than Lomu and had the leverage advantage.

Jerry Collins v Jonah Lomu would be amazing (I've thought of that before funny enough). I think it would be the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, the universe would implode.
Run hard and hit hard.

*EXPLOSION*

I think that one of Lomu's greatest strengths, and underrated at it, was that he knew when to have a go at someone and when to go around it.

Tackling someone who is coming at you requires a specific type of tackle and posture from the defender, different from when someone tries to get around you. Lomu was very good at both but he was extremely good at mixing it up and taking advantage of the wrong call from the tackler. If he saw the tackler was firmly set to take the hit he just went around him. He did so a million times.
Of course he could go full own against some of the best defenders and smash them too, no doubt.

The tuilagi's are not even remotely close as fast as Lomu was and rely much more on power. Not saying the are slow, but just to give you a tangible example, Manu is probably slower than most back three from all tier 1 teams. Lomu was probably faster than most back 3.

This is important because it gives the defender an option: if the defender is fast enough and he is not cornered into his try line he can let Manu pass, avoiding the hit and get him from the side. He will lose a few meters from the momentum but he's got the job done. If you took that chance with Lomu odds were you couldn't catch him.

Latest posts