What equipment do you wear while playing?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by USA_Rugby, Dec 9, 2007.

1. USA_Rugby

USA_Rugby Guest

I personally wear shoulder vest, athletic cup, scrum cap and gloves. What do you guys all wear?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

Nothing, because it's rugby and not american football. :D

I've worn a scrum cap in the past to protect my ears. I just don't want callaflower ear. Other than that, it's not needed. Out with vests and cups, in with shoulders and balls!

4. nam97

nam97 Guest

A mouth guard should be the only thing you wear. And what is it with the French and their shin guards? I've always wondered why they all wear them.

5. melon

melon Guest

YOU WEAR A CUP?!

Fair enough if you wear the other things, but wearing a cup is absolutely ridiculous.

Mouthguard and headgear for me. Might even wear my shoulder pads every now and then.

6. candybum

candybum Guest

i wear boots :p lol nah but yeah all the mandatory things aye mouthguard etc

i strap my knee up every now and then. Tried gloves and they were a waste of money lol

7. honef

honef Guest

Jersey, Shorts, Socks, Boots, Mouthguard

8. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

Gum shields and gloves.

9. USA_Rugby

USA_Rugby Guest

Yeah, I don't like the gloves. Not gonna use them when the season comes around.

I wear a cup because I saw that video on youtube of that guy getting hit in the balls by a kick. That's actually really dangerous, and I plan to be a father some day.

It's strictly business.

10. melon

melon Guest

Do people laugh at you? (Or do you even laugh at yourself....?)

11. USA_Rugby

USA_Rugby Guest

No. It's not like I'm all like "Hey dudes, I got a cup! Sick!" or anything. I just wear it.

Maybe I should make a club...

12. How do you run properly with a cup on? There must be some serious discomfort by the end of the match.

13. nam97

nam97 Guest

Yeah mate, it's a personal choice in the end. Doesn't matter how much you wear so long as it's comfortable and gives you piece of mind. So if you wanna wear a cup, wear it, who cares what others think. Although I hate wearing protective gear and only use the mouth guard.

14. I'm hardcore, I don't wear anything like that. Not even a gumshield. Well, occaisonally I have strappings and what not for injuries, but other than that...yeah I'm a man.

15. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

Seem to remember you're the one who gets into a euphoric state/near orgasmic levels when you find the water stinging your wounds.

16. A thong and a mouthguard :lol:

17. USA_Rugby

USA_Rugby Guest

How does it make you less of a man to wear a cup? IMO, wearing a cup is better than losing your ability to have a child.

It gives me piece of mind. lol.

18. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

I just can see playing in one. I played American Football all the way through my senior year of college, and rugby. I've only played with one dude who wore a cup. We were all given them, I remember at one point, but couldn't run in them. So, goodbye cup, hello mobility. I won't advise you not to wear one, I just don't see how they function in sport.

19. That's a man who's never played cricket speaking. I'd never dream of wearing a cup for rugby, but if you get hit in that area at high speed by a compact ball of cork and leather, you'll be thankful for that layer of plastic you remembered to put on.

Can still knock the wind out of you for a couple of minutes, but it's oh so much better than taking the full force on an unguarded netheregion.

20. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

That's a man who's never played cricket speaking. I'd never dream of wearing a cup for rugby, but if you get hit in that area at high speed by a compact ball of cork and leather, you'll be thankful for that layer of plastic you remembered to put on.

Can still knock the wind out of you for a couple of minutes, but it's oh so much better than taking the full force on an unguarded netheregion.
    [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, the same reason why a lot of baseball players wear them (especially the catchers), and that makes sense. In rugby however, I've just never had that issue, nor did I have it with gridiron football.

21. vpark

vpark Guest

the basic and the shoulder vest

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!