• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

The Great Wall - awful. Even Matt Damon can't save it.
Quite enjoyed that. Wasn't exactly high brow stuff, but entertaining.

You want awful? Just watched the latest Transformers movie.
It has 2 positives. Anthony Hopkins, and the fact it's not as awful as the last one.

Someone at work was describing the new transformers movie to me and it just sounds unbelievably bad.
Like it's something a ten year old who's really into knights and transformers would write.

Quite enjoyed that. Wasn't exactly high brow stuff, but entertaining.

You want awful? Just watched the latest Transformers movie.
It has 2 positives. Anthony Hopkins, and the fact it's not as awful as the last one.

I think the Great Wall was not what I was expecting. I was expecting an historic epic, but then Green monsters started appearing left, right and centre and it wasn't my cup of tea. Glad you enjoyed it.

Transformers - have absolutely no interest watching any of those films, let alone the recent one.

Watched Live by Night - not bad gangster film.

Last Jedi tickets booked for the lunchtime booking.

Cinema website getting spanked again.

Was thinking about trying for midnight double bill but cba might try doing something like that for the third one.

Blade Runner 2049 - outstanding!

Deliberately avoided all trailers and reviews, because I love the original so much and just wanted to experience this new film for myself. If you are a fan of the original, go and see this on the big screen just for the huge dystopian vistas and eerie musical atmosphere.

Thor Ragnarok: it felt similar with The Guardians of the Galaxy movie but it's a breath of fresh air from its two predecessors.

I thought it was excellent...it certainly seems to have divided people.

Really disappointed with TLJ, progressed basically nothing in the story and either didnt answer questions or gave unsatisfactory answers (with no doubt may be red herrings).

Paddington 2. Well worth it if you enjoyed the first one or got kids to take along to watch it. Hugh Grant steals to the show.

Older film but worth digging up: Sicario. Bloody brilliant. Sequel coming June 2018: Soldado.

I thought it was excellent...it certainly seems to have divided people.
I'll have to watch it again. I can't think of much I didn't like about it and I enjoyed some parts but came away feeling underwhelmed with it not exceeding my not too high expectations. It could easily be a case that I've begun to enjoy and watch a lot less TV and films.

Also saw The Last Jedi...... I liked it enough, but think it will do the opposite of age well, especially with diehards. It was really well shot, pretty and the action was great which made it a good watch, but if you delve into how outrageously contrived I would say most of the plot is and how awful some of the dialogue is, it really brings the film down. Meaningless drivel lines like "We will win not destroying what who we hate, but saving who we love" delivered by the Jar Jar level painfully annoying shoehorned love interest had my eyes rolling. Honestly even when the Luke/ Rey/ Kylo Ren storyline was at its quietest it was still more interesting than the painful Finn/ Rose/ Po stuff that ultimately came to nothing and had zero impact on the plot.
I will say though that fight scene was awesome. Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and Mark Hammil were great and carried the film I felt. I bet someone will fan edit around 30% of this movie out and make it a great movie.

God looking at the star wars forums alot of people on there are taking these films way to personally esp with Finn.

Hope Disney still keep with RJ for his own trilogy i think alot of issues is between JJ and RJ wanting completely different directions (JJ apparently wanted to kill off Poe early on but RJ said he wanted to have a bigger story for Poe etc etc ).

The fact that this is scoring lower than Episode 1 shows how salty the star wars fandom can get.

I think giving this guy a movie in the middle of a trilogy was a bad idea. He basically looked at the plotlines from Force Awakens and said "nah I'm gonna do my own thing instead". He did a pretty similar thing with Luke, who was supposed to have redeemed the Jedi and risen above the cycle of revenge etc in the Last Jedi (although the surprise guest in the film was so great that it did a lot to fix that). Also he fell into the weird habit of setting up a serious moment and then taking us out of it with really forced humor. The humor in general just didn't work. Not to spoil anything, but we now have very very little set up in terms of character development or plot for the final movie in this trilogy.

Latest posts