• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Yup watched through Altered Carbon as well cyberpunk in general in my jam.

Mad my wife watch original before watching 2049 she didn't like either. She did like Altered Carbon but other cyberpunk things she's struggle with as well. Ah well can't win them all ;)

Yeah, Florida Project is a very powerful portrayal of the hypocrisy behind all the glitz of Disney/Universal studios of Orlando. I went to Orlando 2 years ago and stayed in Kissimmee where they filmed a lot of that film. Swear I drove past or walked past the same apartments. That kind of poverty of America is something that's pretty much ignored when it comes to American films.

A Star is Born is very good as well. Not sure I bought Lady Gaga suddenly transforming on stage from a nobody to a star. For me she was just playing herself. Bradly Cooper was very good as a drunk though and yeah him playing the brother of Sam Elliott, well he had to mimic his voice. And the soundtrack is excellent. Definitely a date film to get the other half to blub and then comfort her:).
Yeah... yeah, the other half... definitely! :oops:

Yup watched through Altered Carbon as well cyberpunk in general in my jam.

Mad my wife watch original before watching 2049 she didn't like either. She did like Altered Carbon but other cyberpunk things she's struggle with as well. Ah well can't win them all ;)
Looking forward to Cyber Punk 2077?

One of my most anticipated... do we have a decent video game thread?

Also, has anyone seen

? I hear it's on US Netflix so might sort that later.

There are a few in the Clubhouse bar about games... the most active being What Game are you currently Playing?

The Void looks interesting.

Joker. Joaquin is superb In the ***le role. But very disturbing and one scene alone probably should have made it an 18, not a 15.

Joker. Joaquin is superb In the ***le role. But very disturbing and one scene alone probably should have made it an 18, not a 15.

I thought i had read it was R18, maybe it is in AUs/NZ

How does it work as a comicbook movie? was there any nod to Batman or have they taken this character completely out of that world?

I thought i had read it was R18, maybe it is in AUs/NZ

How does it work as a comicbook movie? was there any nod to Batman or have they taken this character completely out of that world?

it's a 15 rating here in the UK. It's closer to Nolan's vision than the other Batman films.
And yes there is a nod to a young Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
Joker was really good, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it that much. Was just a bit too depressing for me to enjoy it. Can recognise that it was a well written movie with a great performance from Phoenix and great visuals, music etc, but walked out not sure whether I was willing to pay money to be made feel sad.
Give me the Nolan trilogy every day of the week baby.

Joker was really good, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it that much. Was just a bit too depressing for me to enjoy it. Can recognise that it was a well written movie with a great performance from Phoenix and great visuals, music etc, but walked out not sure whether I was willing to pay money to be made feel sad.
I've not seen it yet but I've seen a lot of people online saying it's a brilliant film but not one they've any interesting in watching again.

Give me the Nolan trilogy every day of the week baby.

yeah I would agree that it is not an "enojoyable" film in the sense i felt uplifted at the end. But it's clever in that it made me question what I was seeing and I suppose that was the point of it.

I enjoyed TDKR.

It was different and felt somewhat more comic booky than the first 2.
Also enjoyed Hardy's Bane performance even if the accent was a bit .............. Bane breaking Batman's back was perfect IMO.

A low(er) quality Nolan film is still a considerable improvement over most cinematic output.

On to The Joker, haven't watched it yet but had heard from way back (like pre-production) that it was going to be very late 70's/early 80's Scorsese in style (Taxi Driver meets The King of Comedy). Everything I've heard since it's release seems to go along with this. As a film student back in the day I struggled to glean much actual 'enjoyment' out of either while appreciating both movies for saying something profound through a very show not tell (not overly preachy) narrative.

As a guy heading into middle age (my cynicism grows by the day) I'd imagine I'll get a lot out of The Joker... and might rewatch the two Scorsese influences too.

Last edited:
I quite like TDKR. Got goofy at many points but still really enjoyed it. TDK is obviously the pick of the bunch but still thought the finale was up there. It had easily the best line of the trilogy
"You're a big guy"
"For you".

I quite like TDKR. Got goofy at many points but still really enjoyed it. TDK is obviously the pick of the bunch but still thought the finale was up there. It had easily the best line of the trilogy
"You're a big guy"
"For you".

I love that line and always think of it when someone is called a big guy but it's actually a bit of a memetic mutation.

Petyr Baelish asks Mad Max would it hurt if he took his mask of. To which Eames replies it would be extremely painful. John Boy notes Ivan Locke is a big guy. To which Venom retorts 'for you'.

So Bane is saying removing his mask would be extremely painful for CIA Op, not that he is a big guy only by his standards.

I love that line and always think of it when someone is called a big guy but it's actually a bit of a memetic mutation.

Petyr Baelish asks Mad Max would it hurt if he took his mask of. To which Eames replies it would be extremely painful. John Boy notes Ivan Locke is a big guy. To which Venom retorts 'for you'.

So Bane is saying removing his mask would be extremely painful for CIA Op, not that he is a big guy only by his standards.
Z7HeRxU.png

Latest posts