• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

What can I say. I just remember a time when solid humour was based on wit rather than pointing at people who look a little different from the norm and thinking they are fair game for a giggle. This wasn't a standup gig where you risk being lampooned, it was an awards ceremony.

I'm not really making a big deal out of it, I'm genuinely saying I'm not sure how I'd have reacted and I can't rule out that I wouldn't have taken the stage. If she was bald due to cancer treatment I would have to have been physically restrained. If I was bald due to cancer treatment and the joke was at me, I'd probably have tried to get the microphone, explain why I was incensed and denounced the swine. If it had been a derogatory remark about hairstyle or clothing about me or my partner I'd have remained seated and just considered the comic to be poor. But for this exact instance of this example I have no idea what I'd have done no matter how long I think of it.

My point being, I'm not without sympathy for Smith based solely on the circumstances of that 15 second exchange in isolation as I don't see how holding a microphone and standing on a stage should impact on whether something you say is acceptable or not (or on the response you should receive for opening your mouth). So I've no issue with him slapping the guy on live TV, offering a belated apology and nothing else happening.

In terms of disfigurement, Google "alopecia' AND 'disfigurement' and you'll see loads of entries associating that term with the condition. Whether that is a medically accurate term I don't know. I also don't know anything about the woman in question, but I think its pretty fair to assume you should be twigging that a bald woman may have a medical issue with greater mental impact than male pattern baldness. Ergo, probably not a suitable topic for humour in a public setting and if you elect to go down that route (particularly if premeditated) then you should realise there may be consequences.

Just because the woman isn't choosing to wear a wig or undergo surgery to get hair implants wouldn't change my opinion on whether it is a fair topic for humour. I'm struggling to think of a comparable Male specific ailment that is physically visible to challenge if I'm being a bit sexist here, but I don't think I am.
When was humour never about pointing at people? Watch Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor from the 80s.

When was humour never about pointing at people? Watch Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor from the 80s.
There is pointing at people because there is an innate comedy in a person or situation and then there is pointing at people for less wholesome reasons. I am ignorant of US comedy to be honest so base my remarks upon UK. I have a sense in the past that people who make unpleasant jokes about specific people with health concerns wouldn't be near the exposure of an Oscars gig (or equivalent), just like guys that joke about the industrial scale gassing of gypsies wouldn't typically have been ideal candidates for hosting shows on state run TV channels. But hey, its the 2020s and we must defend the right of comedians to be undiluted bell ends in non-comedy events and unequivocally condemn anyone that instinctively doesn't think sitting in silence is always the most appropriate to instinctive response to cowardly verbal provocation behind the assumed safety of a stage and microphone (things that would never be said directly one-to-one).

The more edgy comics like that in the UK in the 80s and 90s wouldn't get much in the way of TV exposure (although clearly there were major cultural issues with what was considered comedy 'back in the day'). I imagine you'd still have that at clubs I guess. It seems a lifetime ago you'd have TV comedy dominated by Izzard, Carrot and The Mary Whitehouse experience (the irony of me posting like Mary Whitehouse about The Mary Whitehouse Experience is not lost on me). None of whom I'd expect to go within a million miles of that Rock joke or start pushing the boundaries of 'bad taste as comedy'. I'm not trying to handpick 'safe' options, but I'm struggling to think of 'edgy' UK comics from the 80s and 90s who'd get air time. Jim Davidson I'd guess would fit the bill with his hilarious array of ethnic impersonations.

I also know nothing about the lady in question, but it strikes me as somewhat perverse that she seems to be getting almost as much negative remarks as Rock and Will, for her part of eh, sitting looking unhappy at some goon trying to make a fool out of her.

The response to the event overall is an interesting case study of society if nothing else.

can i derail the thread for a second?

Saw The Batman on the weekend

Was awesome, not saying he's my fav Batman but i think it might be my fav Batman film, they actually seem to have written a good thriller...and then put the DC characters into it rather than relying on the fact its a batman film for it to be successful

also makes something quite clear when comparing the Bale films, they essentially stuck this completely unrealistic character (someone that dresses up as a bat) into the "real world" and in hind sight its a bit jarring, i dont know what they did but watching this the "world" just felt like the kind of place where someone would do that

I also dont know if Pattinson is that good an actor or they filmed all the Bruce wayne scenes before he went away and trained and then shot all the batman scenes...or its all just the suit....but bruce wayne seems....meek...and batman intimidating....its well done

I'm struggling to think of a comparable Male specific ailment that is physically visible to challenge if I'm being a bit sexist here, but I don't think I am.
Maybe not an ailment, but something related to an appearance. Very small height for example: that's not a painful topic for women,but can be quite disagreeable for men (eg. if you are a man of a very small height and someone makes a joke about it)

Have recently watched Gozlan's "Black box" (Boîte noire,https://m.imdb.com/***le/tt10341034/). A very good thriller that made me nervous after I watched it. Can definitely recommend it for those who like thrillers. Pierre Niney is a new name for me,but such a good and interesting actor. I'm going to watch Gozlan's "Un homme idéal" with this same actor,as well

Taking the day off due to Covid and going to rewatch the Simon Pegg trilogy: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End

Taking the day off due to Covid and going to rewatch the Simon Pegg trilogy: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End
I always remove World's End, and replace it with Paul - just a better movie IMO, even if it doesn't mention Cornettos

simon pegg celebration GIF

Maybe not an ailment, but something related to an appearance. Very small height for example: that's not a painful topic for women,but can be quite disagreeable for men (eg. if you are a man of a very small height and someone makes a joke about it)

Have recently watched Gozlan's "Black box" (Boîte noire,https://m.imdb.com/***le/tt10341034/). A very good thriller that made me nervous after I watched it. Can definitely recommend it for those who like thrillers. Pierre Niney is a new name for me,but such a good and interesting actor. I'm going to watch Gozlan's "Un homme idéal" with this same actor,as well
Good to see you yulia

Saw Death on the Nile and Ambulance with my girlfriend Big Ginger 8 recently.

Really enjoyed Death on the Nile. Hadn't read the book or anything and I love a good whodunnit. Really good cast, loved the setting. Pacing was a bit wonky is all I would say.

Then there's ambulance which is an unmitigated piece of ****. Speaking of pacing it was everywhere. Movie ran way too long. Somewhere in there there's a fun Michael Bay movie if you turn off your brain, but like exposure to an asbestos fire, while fun in small doses, it was awful over such a sustained period of time.

Have heard the new Marvel movie who's name I am not bothered to Google is absolutely terrible.

The Brannah version has a lot to live up to the Ustinov version.

Would Will Smith slapped Ricky had he made a he same joke about Jada?

I just saw the latest Jackass movie "Jackass Forever" and it was pretty good. But my favorite of the franchise is still Jackass 3D. Here's a clip from that one.