• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Watched The Day The Earth Stood Still yesterday I thought it was entertaining but it's kinda all been done before. It was just like The War Of Worlds, Independance Day etc. Obviously mankind are in trouble and just about to lose their Earth to Aliens but then something happens and next minute everyones singing glory glory hallelujah.

So I guess if you're into movies where it's the end of the world than this is the one for you but if you're not it's not really the type of movie that'll appeal to the greater audience. I'm giving it a 6.5/10 and to be honest Im probably being nice just because Jennifer Connelly's in it and I still think she's spunky from when she was in Labryinth hehe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esoj @ Dec 13 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
quantum of solace.
a lot more action and at a faster pace for a bond movie and I really liked it. obviously inspired by the bourne movies in places but that is fine with me as I enjoyed the bourne movies a lot. hopefully the next bond movie is done in the same style as this one was.[/b]

Yeah I quite liked QOS too, i watched it with my parents who moaned the whole time about how the new bond is so ugly and how none can hold a light to Roger Moore or Sean Connery.. haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 21 2008, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If one more person tells me the f***ing dog dies I'm gonna flip!!
I read the book in 6 hours in the summer and thought it was excellent. The write-ups of the film have been largely negative so I have decided not to go out of my way to watch it and tarnish my overall view of the story.
(Btw, the film sounds completely different, not to mention appallingly inferior to the novel).[/b]

What's the novel called Cyril? I might read it.

I watched Australia last night. I thought it was great. Really good acting from Jackman and Kidman. Nicole Kidman has got to be the best actress alive! Anyway, it's a love story in essence, but hey, i liked it. Great film.

Watch Pathology last night.
To sum it up: it's a f***ed up film, about f***ed up people, doing f***ed up things

The opening scene sets the tone of the whole movie. Freakin' sick man.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 27 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Watched The Day The Earth Stood Still yesterday I thought it was entertaining but it's kinda all been done before. It was just like The War Of Worlds, Independance Day etc. Obviously mankind are in trouble and just about to lose their Earth to Aliens but then something happens and next minute everyones singing glory glory hallelujah.

So I guess if you're into movies where it's the end of the world than this is the one for you but if you're not it's not really the type of movie that'll appeal to the greater audience. I'm giving it a 6.5/10 and to be honest Im probably being nice just because Jennifer Connelly's in it and I still think she's spunky from when she was in Labryinth hehe.[/b]

You realise that The Day the Earth Stood Still is a remake of the 1951 film? So was one of the first destruction of the earth by aliens films?? Then Obviously comes War of the Worlds which was made in 1953...

So in saying its all been done before you would be right, but The Day the Earth Stood Still did it before any of the others mentioned

Watched Mummy III.
Absolute ****.

187, the novel is also called I Am Legend. Give it a go!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Jan 2 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 27 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I guess if you're into movies where it's the end of the world than this is the one for you but if you're not it's not really the type of movie that'll appeal to the greater audience. I'm giving it a 6.5/10 and to be honest Im probably being nice just because Jennifer Connelly's in it and I still think she's spunky from when she was in Labryinth hehe.[/b]

You realise that The Day the Earth Stood Still is a remake of the 1951 film? So was one of the first destruction of the earth by aliens films?? Then Obviously comes War of the Worlds which was made in 1953...

So in saying its all been done before you would be right, but The Day the Earth Stood Still did it before any of the others mentioned
[/b][/quote]

So, thats the 1953 War of the Worlds film based upon the HG Wells book written in 1898? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Jan 2 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Jan 2 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 27 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

So, thats the 1953 War of the Worlds film based upon the HG Wells book written in 1898? :p
[/b][/quote]
I was gonna say the same thing, but I think he's referring specifically to films...

I saw Valkyrie the other night, pretty good if you like historical related films. Not sure how much of it is true but it was a nice piece of drama.

Just saw Wall-E. It has its moments, though it's not got a scratch on the likes of Toy Story, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 2 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Jan 2 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Jan 2 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
I was gonna say the same thing, but I think he's referring specifically to films...

[/b][/quote]

Exactly this isn't about the novel, I was talking about the film and referencing them rather than the novels.
However I was just expressing a point that like War of the Worlds this is a remake, but The Day the Earth Stood Still is not known as well as War of the Worlds, so some people may not realise that it was a remake... However from what I have read of reviews, I think it will be one to watch on DVD.

I am looking forward to watching the Spirit, personally....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 2 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just saw Wall-E. It has its moments, though it's not got a scratch on the likes of Toy Story, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.[/b]

I don't think you can place each Pixar film on a ladder compared to each other. I think everyone who is about our age was absolutely in love with Toy Story, I think I must have played that tape so often it's a mystery how it didn't spontaneously combust (and it was in Spanish too! I don't know the words to "You've got a friend in me", but I can fill in part of the blanks in "Ay un amigo en mi"), Finding Nemo didn't really do it all that much for me, while in The Incredibles the soundtrack and design of the film added that extra bit. Wall-E is almost art at times, and, though some may say it's hypocritical, tries to get a message through, without jamming it down your throat halfway through the film. A bug's life had so much humour in it ("It"s our lot in life. it's not a lot, but it's a life"), Monsters, Inc. showed great progress when it comes to animating hair, Sully simply wouldn't have worked had he seemed any less soft. I'ma sucker for Ratatouille but I've been told it's because I enjoy cooking (I completely understand Rémy's agony when the soup is being ruined XD)
I enjoyed Cars, but I think I might have seen that too many times in too short a time frame to still be objective about it, which sadly is the result of babysitting a Cars-obsessed nephew too many times.

It's like picking out the best Walt Disney Classic animated film. There are too many aspects about each film to decide the question!
The only thing I know is that it's not The Fox and the Hound. Don't know why, I never really liked that film.

The last film I saw must have been 'It's a Wonderful Life', I'd never seen it before, though I recognised parts of it because it's been used so many times. I liked it, but I'll need to grow very tired of White Christmas before it becomes my favourite Christmas film.

I don't know. There's something about The Incredibles, Finding Nemo and Toy Story which seemed to be MIA in Wall-E. I mean, the first half an hour / fifty minutes were really good. But I think, after the scene where he and EVE drift romantically about in space with Wall-E using the fire extinguisher, the movie lost its magic and became a cliché'd good vs evil movie. It was heartwarming to watch Wall-E and EVE's - err - 'romance', though. :p
Also, I felt sorry for the little cockroach who was left behind on Earth. D:

**** I have watched The Day After Tomorrow and I am really worried about that probable events on earth]

While during College Years I have been working on a scientific project that really made me to touch the problems of Global Warming and I really worry about what are we going to do with our planet

bu3.jpg

Watched Disaster Movie and I found it funny but I think you have to be really open to rediculous acting and scripts. It's one of those Scary Movie, Meet The Spartans type movies that bags the crap out of the best movies of 2008. It was funny throught out the whole movie and it's kinda cool trying to figure out what movies they're trying to diss.

I think a few of the cast are from MadTv because I recognise some and they play alot of parts and they pull them off pretty good too.

Funny factor I give it a 7.5/10 overall maybe a 7/10

Watched Changeling with Angelina Jolie last night, really good film with a oscar winning lead from Jolie (nailed on)

Latest posts