• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Also saw Tenet. It is clever in a sense, but it will definitely be the new film that people insist you didn't enjoy because you just didn't understand it, when really it's just not that good. For me there were certainly parts of it I was left wondering what the hell had happened because the film barely bothers to explain its own logic before moving at breakneck speed into another action scene that is also extremely difficult to comprehend because of the core 'time travel' mechanic of the film. It's well acted and visually great, but it's genuinely difficult to hear some of the lines because the actors are speaking so softly and I found the music seriously overbearing. As I said the movie had clever parts, but there were very few scenes I actually enjoyed. People will say this is a movie you need to watch multiple times, but I don't think a film you have to watch multiple times to fully get is a good film.
Ultimately if a viewer who is sitting down fully engaged for three hours can't grasp your film you've failed as a filmmaker.

I think a movie can be said to be watched multiple times to dig into it more. However it absolutely has to work the first time through.

Arrival is possibly a good example on second viewing it's even more interesting but it absolutely works on the first viewong.

I think a movie can be said to be watched multiple times to dig into it more. However it absolutely has to work the first time through.

Arrival is possibly a good example on second viewing it's even more interesting but it absolutely works on the first viewong.
I can agree with that. There's nothing wrong with a movie that leaves you thinking after you come out. I didn't necessarily love Arrival when I first saw it, but I understood the entire thing. When I did watch it again out of curiosity I did really come to enjoy it, especially as I was doing some classes on intercultural communication in college at the time. However there wasn't enough in Tenet for me to watch it ever again. I think Nolan has very deliberately made this movie to be one you have to see more than once. I'm pretty sure one of the characters even says "don't try understand it" in relation to the inversion thing.

I loved the ambition of it, I don't think this kind of movie would have been made with such a budget 10 or 20 years ago. I did overall like it and I do think there are some clever aspects but definitely some others that don't hold up to a huge amount of scrutiny. Definitely not Nolan's best but I don't think it was terrible, lukewarm probably.

I do think you have to be in the right headspace to get enjoyment out of it and I don't mean that in a pretentious way about 'understanding' it, I mean as in going in with a lot of patience and willingness to go along with the movie. This is overall a pretty large flaw.

Watched Bridge of Spies again the other day, a fantastic movie and more amazing by the fact it is based on real events.

Karate Kid part 3. Haven't actually seen it before. Easily the worst one of the 3 for me with DL and Mr Miyagi mainly because of the cartoonish villains.

Still, loved mr M's line: "ok to lose Daniel San, but must not give into fear." Truly inspiring line.

New Borat film is actually pretty good best Baron Cohen film since the first one (Not as good but still good).
It's a shame that due to how famous he is Borat as a character is basically impossible to do now on the whole, but the work around was brilliant.

The actress was brilliant Maria Bakalova.

New Borat film is actually pretty good best Baron Cohen film since the first one (Not as good but still good).
It's a shame that due to how famous he is Borat as a character is basically impossible to do now on the whole, but the work around was brilliant.

I thought it was ok, bit meh.

After Who is America I was really hoping for more scalps, even Gulianis is scuzzy but not that bad

IDK for me Borat was never really a big scalper.

Even back in the day Ali G was always more the one to get the big interviews.
Borat was more exposing ignorance in the more everyday person way.

The reason who is America works is because he can generally be who he wants and targets who he can, whereas for Borat he follows a rough storyline.

Will watch Borat 2 tonight. Didn't realise it was on Amazon prime and included in my subscription. Loved and cringed at the 1st one.

I watch it last night i was ******* myself for some of it but i havnt actually seen the first one for some reason.

Yeh, watched Borat 2 last night. I thought It was ok. It's lost that shock factor of the tv series and the first film. But still had it's really funny moments. I was waiting for the Guiliani moment. What the hell was the guy thinking? Regardless of how they can edited it to make him look bad.

Last edited:
With people talking of Bridge of Spies and Borat 2 I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Mark Rylance and Sacha Baron Cohen both star) it superb and boy Aaron Sorkin can write.

With people talking of Bridge of Spies and Borat 2 I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Mark Rylance and Sacha Baron Cohen both star) it superb and boy Aaron Sorkin can write.
West Wing was fantastic and still one of the best series ever IMO

Parasite is on amazon prime video if anyone is interested in watching it and you have a subscription.

RIP Sean Connery

He was, obviously, a fantastic Bond but I think my favourite of his was The Rock.

I was just thinking about him the other day. Watched him in the Indiana Jones and the last Crusade. Yeh, an icon really and also my favourite Bond.

Latest posts