• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Ok, so i said - to whom, i have no idea - that if/when the first thread reaches 1,000 posts then i'll start another thread entirely.

So if you want to continue your verbal ************ of Daniel Day Lewis (Cyril? Speedy?); If you want to have a go at Hostel and Saw and their tedious sequels; Or if you're Charlie and you want to announce that you're gay to the entire forum again by stating that, not only did you watch Sex and the City...but you also enjoyed it then please feel free to.

Otherwise, continue as before...
Disney/Pixar Cars 3

Weathering With You

Been waiting to watch it for a while and noticed it was only £1.99 to buy the digital version on Amazon

It's definitely a few steps below "Your Name" but still a very solid film, with excellent animation and a stellar soundtrack.
Between these two, Garden of Words and 5cm Per Second,I think Makoto Shinkai's studio has overtaken Studio Ghibli as my favourite animation house - very excited to see what they come out with next.

Watched a tonne of movies over lockdown on Netflix, a lot of them horrorish movies which is always a crapshoot...

The bad:
The Invitation: Not as clever as it thinks it is. Basic premise is a guy goes to a dinner party with his old friend group and ex wife who he split with after the trauma of losing their child and weird stuff abounds as the wife has joined a strange cult. Red Herrings left and right and a pretty meh ending. Every single character kinda sucks. I know someone who had to study it in college. It's really not that deep G
Fractured: An irritable asshole tries to find his wife and kid in a hospital after an accident Ft predictable twist. The ending will underwhelm you and you will have wasted like 90 minutes of your already miserable life. Like Shutter Island for idiots. Give it a miss
Slaughterhouse Rulez: More of a comedy that has no right to be as bad as it is with such a good cast. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Finn Cole (Peak Blinders fella), Otis from Sex Education, Margot Robbie, Tom Rhys Harries, Michael Sheen and it's just all a bit bland.
The Visit: Kinda on the funny bad side of things, but its parody levels of dumb. Featuring a little white kid who raps badly and a girl who climbs fully into an oven to clean it.

The Good:
Look Away: Fairly cliched plot involving a girl having a mirror version of herself who has bad intentions, but actually decent I thought. You can pretty much tell how its gonna end after ten minutes, but I enjoyed it.
Spree: Steve from Stranger Things stars as a greasy, weird 'Spree' (Uber) driver who bascially is streaming a murder spree to a Twitch.tv equivalent but becomes increasingly enraged as the movie goes along as he realises no one cares. Joe Keery is really good in it and the whole movie is through the lense of his live stream. They introduce a really unlikeable protagonist with a half assed social commentary late on, but it's a pretty entertaining movie.
Cam: Interesting enough, unpredictable and kinda fun movie about a woman who is basically a sex streamer who starts to have her identity stolen seemingly. I'm a big fan of these weird technology movies, but it does tail off on a slightly uninteresting note.
Searching; Not on Netflix, but this is a really great movie. Also done in the 'Unfriended' style of being from the POV of a webcam, but well executed with a mystery you can probably figure out really early on if you pay a lot of attention. Absolutely worth a watch.
Happy Death Day: I actually enjoyed it even though I'm guessing the reviews are horrible. Again not entirely horror movie with a groundhog day 'girl keeps being murdered over and over and has to figure out who's doing it' concept. The sequel is kind of ass cheeks though.

Just watched The Town last night on Netflix with Ben Afleck. Overall really enjoyed it. Good crime thriller drama type film, well worth a watch.

Just watched The Town last night on Netflix with Ben Afleck. Overall really enjoyed it. Good crime thriller drama type film, well worth a watch.
Yeh, I liked the Town. Reminded me of Heat but instead of LA based in Boston Instead

I know it's probably going to be terrible, but this trailer has got my hhyyppeedd

Got me hyped too!

And I like that the trailer isn't shying away from the violence, which would be amplified in the movie.

Also liked that they showed scorpion as Hanzo Hashashi and then as Scorpion, so clearly it's going to have an origin story in the movie.

I just don't know about the new guy, and how he fits in. He's never been in one of the games...

I just don't know about the new guy, and how he fits in. He's never been in one of the games...
I thought that was odd as well - replacing Cage with a new guy
The speculation online is that the new guy IS Johnny Cage and it's a rewrite of his origin story (ex-MMA fighter rather than martial arts movie star) and there'll be a post credits scene where he enters a new tournament under the pseudonym Johnny Cage or something along those lines

I like how they're embracing the OTT violence of the fights/their powers - stabbing someone with a dagger made of their own frozen blood is badass

I thought that was odd as well - replacing Cage with a new guy
The speculation online is that the new guy IS Johnny Cage and it's a rewrite of his origin story (ex-MMA fighter rather than martial arts movie star) and there'll be a post credits scene where he enters a new tournament under the pseudonym Johnny Cage or something along those lines

I like how they're embracing the OTT violence of the fights/their powers - stabbing someone with a dagger made of their own frozen blood is badass

I don't think it's Johnny Cage though. Cage doesn't have a branding of the MK logo on his body in any of the MK games. And the character appears to be of asian decent. My suspicion is that he's a new complete character and in some way linked to Liu Kang, Kung Lao or maybe even Raiden.

And based on the clips, it seems like Sonya Blade & Liu Kang have already reached the top of their rank/abilities, Liu Kang making a dragon animality let's me think that he's already won the MK tournament and is starting off where MK: Annihilation ended. We also saw a statue of Shao Kahn, so presumably he's dead, which would mean there will be a new bad guy along with Shang Tsung and Mileena. Most probably Quan Chi, because of the Scorpion origin story.

Surely there's more things they could throw in? The lego movies, Scooby Doo and Blade Runner are all WB as well.

So I watched "The New Mutants" over the weekend. What a piece of crap! Arya Stark a lesbian that can turn into a rabid dog, and the Queen's Gambit is a russian psycho with a little drogon flying around. While they have to battle these skinny creepy guys and a bear the size of Godzilla...

Latest posts