• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

I do love the version with Peter Ustinov as well!
I watched it many years ago and was recently thinking to rewatch it. It was my childhood dream to do a Nile River cruise and to visit Abu Simbel, thanks to this film :)
Unfortunately their Nile geography was bloody awful. They were visiting different sites on the same day that are about 350 miles apart. You can't get to Abu Simnel on a Nile cruise that boats can't cross the Aswan dam

My recents are

Identity Thief with Melissa McCarthy, she's a good comic actor

Aquaman, biggest load of garbage ever, not even impressive cgi

I've been watching a lot of classic Western films lately. In America we have some TV channels that focus on that genre and it's perfect for us Western buffs. I recently saw NEVADA SMITH from 1966 and it's great. Steve McQueen was a really good actor, too bad he died young at age 50. In this movie, some carpetbaggers think his parents have gold hidden on their ranch. They don't and are killed for it. Max Sand (McQueen) hunts them down and takes his revenge.

1620186840596.png

Last edited:
Into the Wild. Based on true story of how Christopher Johnson McCandless gave up his possessions and trekked across America and then to Alaska.

Was reading up on it and how he ended up where he did. They only removed the magic bus last year because tourists went to find it and were having to be rescued from it.

Army of the Dead. Just ******* don't. Not even hate watch. The most interesting part of the movie is in the opening montage. The wildly unlikeable daughter character ruins the movie straight up. It's like a mashup of so many different movies all of which are better than this one. Aliens in particular was ripped off so badly. Like dialogue and characters almost entirely plagiarized in parts. Then you have the I am Legend style zombie boss only way stupider and your Oceans 11 style team assembly with quirky (annoying in this case) characters and heist plan. It's all mashed together and done horribly though.
The basic premise of a heist during a zombie apocalypse is very cool, it's a shame the heist piece was super underdeveloped in favor of some bad character story that...... They don't even finish.
Dave Bautista was fine, everyone else involved was terrible. Stop letting Zack Snyder write his movies. It also looked horrible.

The World's End - This film came out in 2013, but I just saw it for the first time on SYFY and it's pretty good. I give it a 7 on a scale of 10.

1622004652304.png

Five friends reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from twenty years earlier unwittingly become humanity's only hope for survival.

Last edited:
The World's End - This film came out in 2013, but I just saw it for the first time on SYFY and it's pretty good. I give it a 7 on a scale of 10.

View attachment 10990

Five friends reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from twenty years earlier unwittingly become humanity's only hope for survival.

Yes, part of a trilogy. Have you watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

My favourite is Shaun of the dead of the 3.

Yes, part of a trilogy. Have you watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

My favourite is Shaun of the dead of the 3.
I saw Shaun of the Dead, but not Hot Fuzz. I'll look for it so I can complete the trilogy. Thanks.

Army of the Dead. Just ******* don't. Not even hate watch. The most interesting part of the movie is in the opening montage. The wildly unlikeable daughter character ruins the movie straight up. It's like a mashup of so many different movies all of which are better than this one. Aliens in particular was ripped off so badly. Like dialogue and characters almost entirely plagiarized in parts. Then you have the I am Legend style zombie boss only way stupider and your Oceans 11 style team assembly with quirky (annoying in this case) characters and heist plan. It's all mashed together and done horribly though.
The basic premise of a heist during a zombie apocalypse is very cool, it's a shame the heist piece was super underdeveloped in favor of some bad character story that...... They don't even finish.
Dave Bautista was fine, everyone else involved was terrible. Stop letting Zack Snyder write his movies. It also looked horrible.

It's a real pity you couldn't appreciate the genius level intellect of the characters.

Also in fairness one of the characters was digitally inserted afterwards to replace an actor who'd done shitty stuff.

It's a real pity you couldn't appreciate the genius level intellect of the characters.

Also in fairness one of the characters was digitally inserted afterwards to replace an actor who'd done shitty stuff.
I too stop to have a rushed romance subplot when I'm about to be nuked in 20 minutes only for it to get hilariously 'noped'

Tig Notaro was waaaaaaay down my list of issues. Definitely my main issue was the ripping off of the entirety of Aliens only Aliens does a good job of making you care about its characters and the half assing of the I am Legend Zombie romance.
Edit: Also calling the annoying German character Ludwig Dieter. Genuinely get **** on

I too stop to have a rushed romance subplot when I'm about to be nuked in 20 minutes only for it to get hilariously 'noped'

Tig Notaro was waaaaaaay down my list of issues. Definitely my main issue was the ripping off of the entirety of Aliens only Aliens does a good job of making you care about its characters and the half assing of the I am Legend Zombie romance.
Edit: Also calling the annoying German character Ludwig Dieter. Genuinely get **** on

My favourite was when one of the actually cool moments happened *spoilers* when Chambers somehow survived initially and jumps out the window in front of her heavily armed colleagues and they're just like there's nothing we can do for her we must leave her.

Notaro definitely wasn't a problem herself it was just giving me vibes of when Jack Black was inserted into flashbacks in Community.

My favourite was when one of the actually cool moments happened *spoilers* when Chambers somehow survived initially and jumps out the window in front of her heavily armed colleagues and they're just like there's nothing we can do for her we must leave her.

Notaro definitely wasn't a problem herself it was just giving me vibes of when Jack Black was inserted into flashbacks in Community.
I was very confused as to why she just didn't stand up. Foolishly backed her ground game against a dozen zombies. Also I think Chambers' two lines were both "I don't trust you" to Burke -er I mean Martin. Also loved that the Tik Tokers who were brought along were the most reasonable and efficient people. Also shoutout to their friend who said "you're all going to die". A second shoutout to the woman they went to rescue who got everyone killed who then just disappears in the end scene. V good storytelling. V cool Zack. Also what the hell was the reference to a time loop?? Like there were people in the ground with their clothes. What was that? The decision to kill every character bar Tank Top what's her chops was also so stupid. Just sacrifices any attachment when you realise its going that way. Some of the deaths as well were so bloody naff.

"6 Days" the story of the Iranian embassy siege in 1980.

Only issue I had was it felt like it was filmed in the 80's rather than 2017 (crispness and clarity of film)

This is a good movie and it won't cost you anything to watch. Check it out. :)

Riders of justice. A masterpiece. Stop whatever the **** you are doing and watch it. End of.

I watched baby driver on Netflix the other day and I thought it was a solid 8/10, great little film.

Also watched closer on Netflix, standard action film 6/10.

I saw a tweet the other day that they were playing this movie on BBC4. Well, I just happen to have it in my collection so I played it again for old time's sake...and it's still very funny.

1624920848263.png

Yesterday hit Netflix a few weeks ago, I can highly recommend it as a lightweight, fun watch. The premise is that the protagonist discovers that he's the only person who has heard of / remembers the Beatles and follows what happens when he plagiarises their catalogue. It's the sort of film for a Saturday night after a belly full of food and booze. I only found out after watching it that it was written and produced by Richard Curtis, which explains why I enjoyed it.

Latest posts