• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

The only thing I can think of is maybe because its not new IP? New to movies I mean. BR is certainly not a remake but feels like it to some degree. At least to me in that it asks the same questions.

The only thing I can think of is maybe because its not new IP? New to movies I mean. BR is certainly not a remake but feels like it to some degree. At least to me in that it asks the same questions.
I think there's two slightly different questions the original film is 'are artificial beings real', the second one is 'is the love between artificial beings real'. The second question on really gets asked cursory if you come down on one side of the Deckard debate. Whereas its the central motivation for K/Joy.

I also don't think you need to watch BR to understand or get BR2049. Maybe thinking you had to watch BR was part of it but it hard to tell UKwise they've (Dune and BR2049) have done similar opening number weekends but elsewhere its done vastly better.

Due to plot reasons Arrival is why Villeneuve feels suited to this project rather than BR2049 especially for part 2.

Is Blade runner actually that popular outside of certain circle, hell even then it's only certain versions of the film.
I'm a big fan of both movies but can see why it struggled box office wise

Watched Dune this evening,
Pretty much agree with everyone else:
  • Enjoyed it
  • The first 30mins requires a lot of concentration to get your head around all the names/lore
  • Feels like it's only the first part of the story (thankfully it's got the sequel - I imagine they knew they would when filming)

Other thoughts: their suits/masks make them look like subzero from mortal combat

Timothee Chalomet(sp?)'s jawline looks like handsome squidward
the two faces of squidward GIF

Somehow I've by expressing an opinion on the Richard Williams biopic (why make a film about him instead of his fabulous daughters) I've ****** off a very small section of Harry/Meghan stan twitter.

Its been an odd day....

Somehow I've by expressing an opinion on the Richard Williams biopic (why make a film about him instead of his fabulous daughters) I've ****** off a very small section of Harry/Meghan stan twitter.

Its been an odd day....
Not seen it yet, but I suppose it's seeing their rise through his eyes?

Not seen it yet, but I suppose it's seeing their rise through his eyes?
I've only seen the trailers, its getting good reviews especially Smith's performance. But its half past-November so its about the right time for films to start making Oscar noise nothing suggest its any better than any other biopic (cards on the table I've gone more and more off biopics as years go by).

But from what I can tell its about him and the struggles he went through to train his daughters and get them accepted by the tennis elite.

It has Venus/Serena on as executive producers to give it legitimacy and whilst they have been involved since early days I can't determine if they incepted the idea or got involved in that "if we don't they'll make it anyway and at least we get a say".

What's their beef with him/the movie?
No their beef is with me saying I probably won't see it mainly because I don't understand why you'd make a film about his accomplishments rather than his daughters and infer their success is only because of him.

Should note there are like 8-9 films out or coming out I'd rather see before the end of the year, it might be a flippant reason but if I have to make cuts to my list is a good as any.

Literally any post dunking me (there aren't many and they aren't good) gets a like 2-3 posts of their timeline down is some pro-Meghan/Harry thing or their profile picture is of the two.

I'm 99% sure they've decided I'm somehow racist for not wanting to watch the film......I don't want to watch Spencer either (which looks a more interesting film but the the Crown is already covering that topic) but somehow I'm sure mentioning that will make even more against Meghan.....

For record films I want to watch are

Lasty Night in Soho, Eternals (more out of obligation to the MCU), Ghostbusters: Afterlife, House of Gucci, West Side Story, Spider-Man: No Way Home, The King's Man, The Matrix Resurrections

Ah, fair enough
I actually thought the trailer looked pretty decent and made me more interested in seeing it than I would be in watching a film specifically about the two sisters tbh

I'm amazed anyone can still feel any obligation towards the MCU - the sheer volume of content they put out is ridiculous

Ah, fair enough
I actually thought the trailer looked pretty decent and made me more interested in seeing it than I would be in watching a film specifically about the two sisters tbh

I'm amazed anyone can still feel any obligation towards the MCU - the sheer volume of content they put out is ridiculous
Oh yeah it's been weird like Wandavision and Shang-Chi were great. What If was over the place and Cap+Winter/Black Widow forgettable. We just watch it because it's what we like mostly. Eternal has been the first thing they've produced where I've been strongly feeling thats not my jam.

King Richard definitely has an audience no doubt I have no illnwill towards anyone who is interested. I'm just amazed anyone cared about my disinterest.

I guess on the Williams film, it makes sense in a way.

It's not a story that is too well known that it might attract people interested.

Everyone knows who the Williams sisters are and their success, but do they know about the challenges that they went through early on? And when you look at it from that angle 1. The adults POV is easier to market since it's more relatable to potential film goers, 2. Reality is he was the one who had to manage it all then.

Last edited:
I've only seen the trailers, its getting good reviews especially Smith's performance. But its half past-November so its about the right time for films to start making Oscar noise nothing suggest its any better than any other biopic (cards on the table I've gone more and more off biopics as years go by).

But from what I can tell its about him and the struggles he went through to train his daughters and get them accepted by the tennis elite.

It has Venus/Serena on as executive producers to give it legitimacy and whilst they have been involved since early days I can't determine if they incepted the idea or got involved in that "if we don't they'll make it anyway and at least we get a say".
Kind of along the lines of the Persuit of Happiness but this time Tennis and not stocks and shares. I broadly know the story having followed the Williams sisters when watching the tennis. It Is a remarkable rise; I am sure driven by Richard Williams. Tennis is rightly seen as a bit of a rich persons sport and how much time, money and effort to get to the top. And the background of the family. I recall they lived in a really rough area of LA. Sister got shot/murdered whilst the Williams sisters still playing.

Not many good tennis films. Borg vs McEnroe was ok. I think are very difficult to make them. I am guessing it's more the story behind that is going to sell a film about tennis not the story of the players playing.

I wonder if they will do one on Murray? From Dunblane to his rise to the top - his struggles winning a grand slam to number 1. See the rise of Federer, Nadal and Novak through his eyes. I thought The documentary on Amazon prime was pretty interesting on his hip operation.

It's not a story that is too well known that it might attract people interested.
I mean I'll admit it's hard to tell when you do know but as someone who's interest in Tennis 'when Wimbledon's on'. I definitely know the story you could barely escape during their rise to fame. It's a bit like not knowing when Lewis Hamilton came from and the stuggles of his father (Richard definitely is more interesting of the two mind).

I wonder if they will do one on Murray? From Dunblane to his rise to the top - his struggles winning a grand slam to number 1. See the rise of Federer, Nadal and Novak through his eyes. I thought The documentary on Amazon prime was pretty interesting on his hip operation.
Documentaries tend to make more interesting things than bionics. I doubt they'd make a Murray one especially involving Dunblane. My understanding its deifntely a topic he doesn't unless he brings ot up want to talk about (understandable).

TBF not every network went as in depth as BBC and wimbledon did.

Also not every one tended to watch the "behind the scenes" parts.

Watched Shang Chi on Disney plus. Was pretty damn good. Most I've enjoyed a marve movie since Ragnarok I'd say. Just generally slapped I'd say. Fight scenes slapped. Weird Chinese mysticism slapped. Dragon fights slapped.

Thought it was gonna be kinda dull at the start but it want batshit delightfully quick.

Latest posts