• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Saw Matrix Resurrections last night. On the whole I enjoyed it, but it should have been so much more.

Started well I thought and the pacing was good up until Neo was extracted, but thought it rushed a little after that. I think they should have kept more of the film in the Matrix. Thomas Anderson's decent into madness and questioning reality could have been drawn out to create a very different sort of film without needing to rush into the 'action' and "real world'.

Not sure if one coffee between Anderson and Tiff was enough either, there should have been this slowly coming together of two people kept apart who were destined to be together, and this could have triggered both to remember what was real.

Still, happy to have the Matrix back, and hoping for a better development to the machines v human overall storyline.

Watched "The Unforgiven" starring Sandra Bullock last night.
Very enjoyable yarn with a twist at the end. It's on Netflix and "other" streaming services.

New Batman trailer looks decent enough

Still feel like they should've left more time between the Nolan trilogy and another reboot (I know there was also the Affleck one(s?) but they were a footnote in comic book movies, really)

Nolan set such an unbelievable standard with his trilogy that it's gonna be hard to follow up. Still, be interested to see how this new one goes.

Personally I didn't really take the Affleck ones that seriously.

Like with Superman for me the Christopher Reeves ones will always be the pinnacle (films 1-3).

I don't like Nolan's Batman. Burtons' films were much much better imo, although a bit childish, but without all those "super-super effects", very atmospheric and actors were good fit for their roles

Watched a bunch of films over Christmas:
Django Unchained
Fury
The girl with the dragon tattoo
The killing fields

All good movies but I think Django and Fury were ruined by the over the top ways they finished, it killed the vibe on otherwise believable stories for me.

The girl with the dragon tattoo
I watched that one as well. The American remade version with Daniel Craig. Still very good. Watched the Swedish before it and also the sequels. I recall preferring the original Swedish version.

Watched a few over Xmas:

Premonition - didn't really make much sense and ending was a bit stupid IMO.
It's a wonderful life. Still a favourite of mine
Home Alone. All time classic.
LA Confidential. All time classic.
BTTF. All time classic.
Paddington 2. All time classic.

Spider-man no way home.
I certainly see why it's being called the best marvel film prob top 3 for me.

Made me appreciate Dafoe a lot even with limited screen time prob the best marvel villain there is in terms of pure menacing.

Excited for the next Strange film.

For the cast if nothing else, I feel obligated to watch it.
Yeh, great cast, but also could totally relate to the message the political class and rich just being in it for themselves. Loved the ending.

Last Xmas is very good. Good one to watch with your partner/loved one for a should to cry on.

Last edited:
Watched new matrix last night, some ok action but it was a bit rubbish to be honest.

Story made no sense and it came across like it was really trying hard, too hard no to offend, too hard on the story, too hard on the action, too hard to be politically correct .

No Way Home was pretty good. Enjoyed it, although the ending felt needlessly depressing for the lighthearted, upbeat Tom Holland Spider-Man.

Catch-22 (1970)
I read the novel many years ago and finally watched the film: absolutely love it. Great humour, can't imagine anyone more convenient for the role of Yossarian than Allan Arkin, didn't recognize Orson Welles as General Dreedle :D would definitely recommend everyone to watch it

Catch-22 (1970)
I read the novel many years ago and finally watched the film: absolutely love it. Great humour, can't imagine anyone more convenient for the role of Yossarian than Allan Arkin, didn't recognize Orson Welles as General Dreedle :D would definitely recommend everyone to watch it
Recent TV show with George Clooney was really good too.

Watched Eternals last night. As the youths would say it was 'so mid'. Just a pretty boring, badly paced, overly full movie. They introduced way too much stuff in one movie. In particular the deviants were so pointless. Then they introduce a sentient one I was certain he would side with the Eternals at the end to fight a shared enemy, but nah. Kit Harrington was just there like a spare ***, like I get he and Gemma Chan are an item in the comics, but man he was useless.

None of the actors bar Barry Keoghan and yer wan who runs fast had any chemistry. Maybe Angelina Jolie and Gilgamesh(?) too. It's different for a Marvel movie, but not really in a good way. Down there with Thor: Dark World for me in terms of being seriously unmemorable.

Latest posts