• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Rewatching the Cornetto trilogy of Shaun of the dead, Hot Fuzz. Next up The World's End.

I usually swap World's End for Paul
I really liked Paul as well.

I have watched all 4 before, but Hot fuzz not in a long time. Forgot how enjoyable it is and how many British comedic talent/actors in it, including one of my favourites Bill Bailey and the late Edward Woodward, Timothy Dalton as well is very good in it.

I really liked Paul as well.

I have watched all 4 before, but Hot fuzz not in a long time. Forgot how enjoyable it is and how many British comedic talent/actors in it, including one of my favourites Bill Bailey and the late Edward Woodward, Timothy Dalton as well is very good in it.
Watched Hot Fuzz for the first in a long time at Christmas and has the same experience, much better than I remembered (and I remembered it being excellent)
I love how many throwaway lines are foreshadowing
"Everyone's packing round here"
"Like who?"
"Farmers"
"And?"
"Farmers mums"

Then at the end the farmers mum pops up with a shotgun

Peter Jackson and Cate Blanchett with uncredited (I think?) cameos at the start as well - PJ the Santa, and CB Nick's ex

Watched Hot Fuzz for the first in a long time at Christmas and has the same experience, much better than I remembered (and I remembered it being excellent)
I love how many throwaway lines are foreshadowing
"Everyone's packing round here"
"Like who?"
"Farmers"
"And?"
"Farmers mums"

Then at the end the farmers mum pops up with a shotgun

Peter Jackson and Cate Blanchett with uncredited (I think?) cameos at the start as well - PJ the Santa, and CB Nick's ex
Hot Fuzz is my favorite movie bar none, and every time I pick up on something new. This time it was the two Andy's, the detective guys saying "why don't you go through the phone book, start with Aaron A Aaronson, and then the ginger kid at the end that gets saved says his name is Aaron A Aaronson.

Love hot fuzz - so many memorable moments.

I particularly like the way most of the character names have to do with (some more directly than others) jobs / characters.

Cartwright and Wainright are essentially the same job - and the Andys are essentially the same cut-out character
Bob Walker is the dog handler
Tony Fisher is out of his depth
The Buttermans are... generously proportioned
The Turners take their turns as desk serjeant
Saxon comes from Alsace
Even Nicolas Angel is the Gary Stu
Of those, only Saxon and Angel aren't actual jobs

Dr Hatcher delivers babies
Doris Tiller tills the soil
The Coopers open barrels of beer
Rev Shooter is a touch on the nose with his wrist guns
Michael Armstrong is the big, strong guy

Tim Messenger the journalist
Martin Blower blows hot air (a bit of a stretch)
Eve Draper is just window dressing for Martin Blower
Arthur Webley is essentially the show's arms supplier
George Merchant is the self-made businessman, looked down upon by the village "aristocracy"

On the Cornetto trilogy love how the flavours reflect the themes of the films:

Shaun of the dead- Strawberry to reflect the blood and gore.

Hot Fuzz - blue/vanilla to represent the police.

The World's End - Mint to reflect the Aliens/science fiction theme.

Apparently all an in joke because of the Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours film trilogy.

Apparently all an in joke because of the Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours film trilogy.
Oh! I've heard about this trilogy but haven't seen it yet :oops: :oops: :oops:
50 year anniversary. Classics get better with age:

True masterpiece,yes! I love Al Pacino in the Godfather, he's absolutely brilliant in his role, "plays" even by his eyes, great actor. But Marlon Brando is almost "invisible" for me as Vito every time I re-watch the Godfather,hm.. maybe just a personal impression

Yeah, Brando is a bit of an enigma to me despite his critical acclaim. In his early work On the Waterfront, The Wild Ones and A Streetcar Named Desire he just seemed to play a kind of manchild and personally I don't think those films have aged well. I also wasn't a fan of Apocalypse Now (maybe because I like the source material, I don't know). I think if you aren't captured by his 'magnetism' it is easy to overlook him.

But hey, the guy got paid $4 million to say a few lines in Superman and kept getting hired despite his ludicrous behaviour (he once insisted that a polynesian hotel worker he had taken a shining to be cast as the leading lady in Mutiny on the Bounty, before marrying her) so people that know far more about cinema than me obviously rated him to put up with this sort of thing.

I like all three Godfathers though (yes, even 3 :O ), so will give Brando his due for that one but maybe he wouldn't have mumbled so much in it it he hadn't stuffed his cheeks with cotton wool!

Oh! I've heard about this trilogy but haven't seen it yet :oops: :oops: :oops:

True masterpiece,yes! I love Al Pacino in the Godfather, he's absolutely brilliant in his role, "plays" even by his eyes, great actor. But Marlon Brando is almost "invisible" for me as Vito every time I re-watch the Godfather,hm.. maybe just a personal impression
Yeh Brando is not in the first film for large swathes of the film, but when he is in it I think his presence is immense. He won best actor at the academy awards but declined to accept it in protest of the treatment of Native Americans and even got a Native American lady to go up decline on his behalf.

He was supposed to be in the second one, but for whatever the reason wasn't but the penultimate scene in that one and him being invisible lends greater power to that scene IMO.
Yeah, Brando is a bit of an enigma to me despite his critical acclaim. In his early work On the Waterfront, The Wild Ones and A Streetcar Named Desire he just seemed to play a kind of manchild and personally I don't think those films have aged well. I also wasn't a fan of Apocalypse Now (maybe because I like the source material, I don't know). I think if you aren't captured by his 'magnetism' it is easy to overlook him.

But hey, the guy got paid $4 million to say a few lines in Superman and kept getting hired despite his ludicrous behaviour (he once insisted that a polynesian hotel worker he had taken a shining to be cast as the leading lady in Mutiny on the Bounty, before marrying her) so people that know far more about cinema than me obviously rated him to put up with this sort of thing.

I like all three Godfathers though (yes, even 3 :O ), so will give Brando his due for that one but maybe he wouldn't have mumbled so much in it it he hadn't stuffed his cheeks with cotton wool!

Lol, yeh there's a reason for that Vito's character was based on a number of Mafia bosses, but Brando primarily based his raspby voice on Frank Costello (a former Sicilian mob boss of one of the 5 New York Families) after seeing footage of him speak, and as Vito's character got shot in the neck. Hence use of the cotton wool in the cheeks.

And Brando was a method actor and didn't learn his lines, often reading them off cue cards and improvising.

Well, I felt his magnetism twice: in "Last tango in Paris" (yes,a specific movie,but I like it and even read the novel) and in "A Streetcar Named Desire". And if in the first one I can't really explain this magnetism, in the second one it was an.. overwhelming masculinity? :rolleyes: I'd call it like that, not sure if I translated correctly. Anyway,he was really good in A Streetcar Named Desire, very fresh, free and,sometimes even sensual, play, "new school" against "an old school" Vivien Leigh, proved especially in this iconic moment:

But I'm not sure that Vito was his role..

I love reading who else auditioned for roles and could have played the characters in the Godfather. Apparently Elvis auditioned for Tom Hagar and wanted to play Vito. Lol

But Robert Redford for Michael Corleone would have been completely wrong. Apparently Pacino was going to get fired until the Paramount executives saw him in the scene with Sollozzo and Captain McCluskey in the restaurant. The rest as they say is history.

Last edited:
As a rule I will make myself watch any movie that scores 6.8 or more in IMDB's top 1000 users list (accessible on the website version). Even romcoms. It is a way to separate the wheat from the chaff, although even with that rule modern films with big studio support have inflated scores.

It's been barren times lately though, with a lot of mediocrity. Three random highlights from what I've seen in the past few months:

Whiplash (helps if you haven't seen JK Simmons before in Oz, which I had, but still, 8/10)

The Wife (Glenn Close, similar in ways to Whiplash about what can lead to 'greatness', and in it having a pair of very strong performances, 7/10)

Footsteps in the Fog (a not terribly well acclaimed old film, with a married couple in the leading roles, which adds to the enjoyment. I thought it was great, 8/10)

And to be a poser I've been a big fan of Hirokazu Koreeda's down to earth family tales. Consistently very thought provoking simple stories. My favourite is Like Father, Like Son, 9/10

And to my surprise, looking at scores it would seem Hitchcock is my favourite director of all time. What a body of work, even some of his lesser known ones are crackers (as long as you don't go too late into his career).

I went to see Belfast today and really enjoyed it.

I thought it had quite a unique tempo, good humour and there was a tense anticipation that you'd expect from any film in its setting.

I'm not sure what anyone without a strong connection with the city would think of it but it's definitely worth a watch.

Latest posts