• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

I can't agree that Shang-Chi was good.
Felt really let down by Black Widow
Immortals was a steaming pile of crud
No Way Home was... the best of a bad bunch, rising to the heights of lower-middle tier of the MCU

But then, these things are all subjective, and there have been other lulls in the rollout, and even one where "if this one isn't better, I think I'm quitting the universe"

MCU definitely feels like quantity over quality atm - I get why, seeing as they've got to introduce characters etc. for the next Avengers movies (I'm guessing that's where they're headed? I dunno, I'm pretty burnt out on it all so don't follow the wider/grand scheme of it anymore)
They should've called it a day after End Game IMO, but, again, I see why they didn't as they could just have RDJ fart into a microphone for 3hrs straight and make $1bn at the box office, it's the ultimate media cash cow atm

The new Thor does look interesting, though, and definitely piques my interest more than any other MCU movie/series has in a while - I enjoyed Taika's take on Thor: Ragnarok and this looks to follow the same theme

Thing is it took 13 odd years to build to endgame and how many movies? It was always likely to start this way especially with the nostalgia of the other movies. I very much doubt they can recreate the high of Endgame, but that doesn't mean future movies don't have potential. Tbh their best work recently for me was Loki and Wandavision.

MCU is super hit and miss at the moment. Enjoyed Shang Chi, Spider Man and from the series, Loki and parts of Wanda Vision.

Then you had absolute hot garbage like Black Widow, Winter Soldier and yer man, and Eternals. Finding Moon Knight pretty crap too.

I'm looking forward to the new Thor and tentatively Multiverse of Madness. The rest of the future stuff, I'm not really bothered to be honest, maybe Blade.

I'll end up watching most things they produce its more like a running TV show that hasn't actually ****** me off yet. It might do someday but none of them have actively offended me.

Like I'm talking Rise of Skywalker bad although Thor The Dark World came perilously close. And still watch all things Star Wars. So I guess House or The Sopranos where I realise all I'm watching is irredeemable pieces of **** who won't get better because the show can't allow that or it would end but also keeps going forever because money.

Agree about Moon Knight though dunno if we'll make it the end. The first episode was fine but it would likely make a fun film with little to no action as Stephen argue with Mark but we never actually see Mark take over. But that entire shtick has already worn thing.

I very much like Wandavision the best up until like the last 2 episodes.

Hawkeye was consistently good but never brilliant.

Like had its moments but I'm sure there's a far more fun and interesting version of that show. Probably because it was more interested in lore than the initial premise.

There's also Guardians 3 out in the next year or so, so I'm very much in for that.

I loved the craziness of Loki and no way home was brilliant for what it was.

Black widow was very 'standard action film' for me, not great, not bad but Shang Chi was just crap.

I'm guessing they are moving towards re-launching the x-men film franchise which will be their new end game series. So I expect a bit of averageness until they get that going.

Notwithstanding the above, I loved Thor Ragnarok and really hope love and thunder continue the great story of Thor which I find really interesting in the MCU.

Good ol' Barry Norman. They never did properly replace him when he left the Film (year) reviews on BBC.

The New Fantastic Beasts. Dull shite tbh. Absolutely zero happens, I don't know why they continue to drag out this terrible franchise fraught with rewrites, a director who only knows the color grey and a writer who can't stop ranting about Trans people for more than a month. It was so hilariously pronounced how absent Katherine Waterston was from it too.

From someone who loved the original HPs: read all the books and saw all the films all the subsequent Fantastic Beasts never appealed to me. The Harry Potter story for me for told and finished after the Deathly Hallows.

Not even interested in the Cursed Child play.

Like the Marvels and Star Wars, it is just a cash cow dragging out these franchises.

Last edited:
Watched The Gentlemen yesterday,
Much better than I expected it to be - not up to the standard of Ritchie's early work, but still very good

Also watched Rush Hour for the first time in about 20 years: loved it

Watched The Gentlemen yesterday,
Much better than I expected it to be - not up to the standard of Ritchie's early work, but still very good

Well has Ritchie ever been up to that?
Imo Vaughn was the main driver in those films.

He provided the substance and Guy the style.
But this is a step in the right direction for him.

Well has Ritchie ever been up to that?
Imo Vaughn was the main driver in those films.

He provided the substance and Guy the style.
But this is a step in the right direction for him.
Don't even know who Vaughn is, tbh!
I'm not much of a film buff, just go with what's on the posters

Edit: See he directed Layercake, which I love, and also Kingsman - not too shabby

Vaughn I do worry after the success of the first Kingsman he gieven a little too much creative control the second two have diminishing returns. Especially The King's Man which managed to be incredibly dull and I have real issues with tonal shifts with WW1 it certainly did not manage to walk the tightrope anywhere near as well as Blackadder did.

jackie chan yaw GIF

Love Rush hour and Rush hour 2. Shame about Rush hour 3.

The New Fantastic Beasts. Dull shite tbh. Absolutely zero happens, I don't know why they continue to drag out this terrible franchise fraught with rewrites, a director who only knows the color grey and a writer who can't stop ranting about Trans people for more than a month. It was so hilariously pronounced how absent Katherine Waterston was from it too.

Flip don't say that... I'm seeing it today.

Though to be fair the previous two movies ain't been the best

Flip don't say that... I'm seeing it today.

Though to be fair the previous two movies ain't been the best
Let me know what you think! I did like the first one to be fair. Only thing I can say is that I think Jude Law is a good young Dumbledore and Mikkelsen is always a good villain.

Latest posts