• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Man it sucks both in Rollerball and The Godfather he really made his mark. Sonny is one my favourite characters in film.

Thor: Love and Thunder

Another Classic Thor Adventure

Crimson Tide. Love watching Denzil and Gene going head to head.

Thor: Love and Thunder

Another Classic Thor Adventure
i havent seen it yet but i have seen some mixed reviews, just people with unrealistic expectations and/or misunderstanding what they are going for?

i havent seen it yet but i have seen some mixed reviews, just people with unrealistic expectations and/or misunderstanding what they are going for?
I think it's Taika Waititi's humour more than anything else. Comedy is probably the most subjective (although everything is) genre in films. I laughed out loud throughout but felt it stepped backed at the poignant stuff.

But if your not finding it funny or its undercutting the more serious aspects I guess it can be hard film to get along with.

For the record I was really sour on Ragnarok the first time around and it took a second watch.

I just watched 1961 film The Misfits, the last film of both Monroe and Gable before their deaths (Gable died two days after his final bit of work on it). I hadn't heard of it and there were all sorts of behind the scenes issues with this shoot. If you can stand a slower pace older film that leaves guessing where on earth it's going it is well worth a look (and then reading about the mess behind the scenes). It made me think about life, careers and relationships even though I'm nothing like any of the four main characters. Bit of a gem.

Last edited:
I just watched 1961 film The Misfits, the last film of both Monroe and Gable before their deaths (Gable died two days after his final bit of work on it). I hadn't heard of it and there were all sorts of behind the scenes issues with this shoot. If you can stand a slower pace older film that leaves guessing where on earth it's going it is well worth a look (and then reading about the mess behind the scenes). It made me think about life, careers and relationships even though I'm nothing like any of the four main characters. Bit of a gem.
Not seen it in full yet.

Apparently Gable gained and lost a lot of weight between roles and then suffered a massive heart attack after filming the Misfits. A lesson in not gaining and losing weight too quickly, but also loads of other health issues - smoked like 3 packs of ciggies a day, lack of exercise and a very bad diet, drank far too much also contributed to his death at relatively early age.

Last edited:
He reportedly did his own stunts in the film out of boredom waiting for the painkiller-addicted Monroe to get her act together and complete a scene. She then felt guilty that the exertion contributed to the timing of his death.

He reportedly did his own stunts in the film out of boredom waiting for the painkiller-addicted Monroe to get her act together and complete a scene. She then felt guilty that the exertion contributed to the timing of his death.
Yeh she was another fcuked up celebrity of the time. Another on numerous prescription meds - Dr Richard Shepherd reckons it was medical negligence that killed her 1 year after the Misfits, rather than any specific conspiracy.

That reminds me of the delectable Ana De Armas playing Marilyn in Blonde on Netflix later this year and looking forward to.

Just saw Bullet Train. Extremely mixed bag, but a pretty fun action movie that probably thought it was a bit cleverer than it was. The characters felt like they were trying to be Tarantino/Guy Ritchie -esque, but the dialogue was the worst part of the movie even with on paper a really good (if weirdly 'Western') cast. Brad Pitt and Aaron Taylor Johnson mostly carry it up until the third act, while other actors are..... Less good

Overall plot is predictable, but fun and the action is good too, which you'd expect from a guy director who started as a stuntman.

Solid 6/10, worth a watch when it hits Netflix.

the Grey Man - first Netflix film imo to truest hit its target.

Good quality action film.
Well acted
Good direction
Good story
Good pacing
Good music

Didn't realise "Prey" was a straight to streaming movie, just watched it on Disney+

90mins, no nonsense, really enjoyed it

Love the setting as well (1700s great plains with a largely Native American cast)

Probably my favourite Predator movie since the original

Didn't realise "Prey" was a straight to streaming movie, just watched it on Disney+

90mins, no nonsense, really enjoyed it

Love the setting as well (1700s great plains with a largely Native American cast)

Probably my favourite Predator movie since the original
I think it's a better film than the original. The original is a great "movie" though. I quite like Robert Rodriguez's Predators as well but I really enjoyed this one.

Have a read of this if you have a spare few mins. You'll like the movie even more once you've read it

Olivia Newton-John Grease GIF

RIP Oliva Newton John.

Issue for me is that i very rarely go to the cinema unless its a real visually stunning film, the rest i will wait and watch at home.

Shame though i alway did like my local Cineworld.

Reality is, what do cinema's provide that is unique? Basically now it's a big screen.

Televisions and computers now have such good quality screens that cinema doesn't provide a much better experience if at all.

Tbh it's almost gone backwards and become a novelty that people go to now and again, rather than 10-20 years ago when people would go regularly as it was the only way to watch films and people could afford to go often. Cinemas need to accept that the days of regular viewers is over in the mainstream.