• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Reality is, what do cinema's provide that is unique? Basically now it's a big screen.

Televisions and computers now have such good quality screens that cinema doesn't provide a much better experience if at all.

Tbh it's almost gone backwards and become a novelty that people go to now and again, rather than 10-20 years ago when people would go regularly as it was the only way to watch films and people could afford to go often. Cinemas need to accept that the days of regular viewers is over in the mainstream.
I have a pretty good sound system at home, cinema's far eclipse it so something with a brilliant sound mix (Top Gun: Maverick, Dune) will have a better experience.

Plus I have difficulty with light in my living room causing reflections in the screen.

This isnjustbsaying the average cinema going experience is superior to hom a home viewing. The question is whether its worth the cost.

Honestly I cancelled our cineworld cards earlier this year. We just didn't use them often enough we love the cinema but you need to go twice a month to make them worthwhile. The Pandemic has caused a major slowdown in releases. I listen to Kermode and Mayo podcast and there are only a few movies coming out each week. We are no longer spoilt for choice last thing we saw was Thor: Love and Thunder and apart from Elvis nothing since. This list is shocking

No wonder cineworld is having issues Spiderman and Top Gun are the only things that have done serious numbers. It's simply because there is no choice.

Couple in the pandemic and their now bizarre pricing structure, in this area Cheltenham and Gloucester are diffrent tiers Cheltenham is the higher tier. Gloucester is the better cinema we think.

So I don't think home viewing is the problem its the pandemic, combined with lack of output of studios especially in the mid tier areas due to that pandemic.

Also on a minor note we now go to the upmarket cinema in Cheltenham. It costs more but its a more comfortable cinema, better behaved public and you get food and drink brought to your seat before the film starts.

All relevant reasons mentioned above for Cineworld's situation. We'll see if Vue and Odeon have similar problems. Streaming services must also have contributed, and peeps cutting down on going to cinema because they have a good viable alternative and cost of living.

But I think Cineworld's main problem is business one: taking on too much debt to expand and then when the demand drops suddenly, they just can't keep up with the interest/debt re- payments. Inevitably they'll get the the Liquidators in to try and salvage what they can and then close the loss making theatres and then sell off the ones which can still make a profit.

I think cinema will go the same way as Blockbusters. Cinemas can be a much better experience but it involves a lot of extra cost and inconvenience that isn't worth it imo compared to home streaming. When push comes to shove, people prefer things that are cheap and convenient overall, cinema is neither.

Cinemas can be a much better experience but it involves a lot of extra cost and inconvenience that isn't worth it imo compared to home streaming. When push comes to shove, people prefer things that are cheap and convenient overall, cinema is neither.
Yup, should turn it into more of an experience ala Odeon Luxe

I've never been that arsed about going to the cinema, just waited to watch at home, but since they converted my local odeon into a Luxe I'm far far more likely to splash out every now and then to see something on the big screen in actual comfort rather than crammed in elbow to elbow on uncomfortable seats like the local Cineworl

I remember I found that aspect really interest when I did A-level economics: upgrades on products and services like cinemas and ice cream as times change.

Pre-1990s cinemas were absolute dog shite and old. Recall my local one I went to as a kid only had 2 screens. Lol. Before they upgraded to multiplexes/parking etc. My local Cineworld is in a new shopping centre - but you have to pay for
Parking to get to the Cinema. Might as well go to the Vue - £8.99 tickets and free parking.

And ice creams were another - just lollipops and Cornetto when growing up. Then Mars brought in the mars bar ice cream and magnums followed for the adult market.

Cineworld need to get with the times. Their ex UK CEO saying ticket prices too low and should higher as it's a great night out. But £40 for a family of 4 for a film? Given the alternatives. Got to be worth that to get families in and also the films coming out of Hollywood as well. Domestic market films could be better aimed as well.

Just watched the latest Dr Strange and latest Thor.
Still waiting for a good film from this phase of Marvel - all 6 must rank on the bottom 10 Marvel films - I think I'm out now.

So somethings I've watched

RRR - sadly Netflix had this in Hindi rather than the original Telugu but its was ridiculous and over the top in an abosuselty amazing way.

Everything, Everywhere, All At One - Less description the better but a multiverse film that's actually quite small in reality.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - Fun but nowhere near as fun as it should be.

Last Night in Soho - Saw the twist coming but not sure on the lead but Anya Taylor Joy and Matt Smith were brilliant. As were Terence Stamp and Diana Rigg.

Just watched the latest Dr Strange and latest Thor.
Still waiting for a good film from this phase of Marvel - all 6 must rank on the bottom 10 Marvel films - I think I'm out now.

Imo one of the biggest problems is there is no one driving force in the films now.

There like 1000 different lead hero's now.

The next avengers imo is gonna suck so bad.
Also forgetting to flesh out the baddies like Gorr was wasted in Thor didn't see him butcher any gods outside 1.

People are such whiney babies,
His voice is fine, they just want to complain - if he'd have come out doing the "It's-a me! Wahooo!" they'd have had a meltdown as well

At the end of the day this is a kids filmed aimed at kids - grown adults need to get a grip, even if they did grow up playing the games. Target demographic trumps nostalgia, I'm afraid

People are such whiney babies,
His voice is fine, they just want to complain - if he'd have come out doing the "It's-a me! Wahooo!" they'd have had a meltdown as well

At the end of the day this is a kids filmed aimed at kids - grown adults need to get a grip, even if they did grow up playing the games. Target demographic trumps nostalgia, I'm afraid
Tbh I disagree.

The other voice actors seemed to be playing their characters. I had to really strain hard to tell Bowser was Jack Black, whereas Mario was clearly Chris Pratt.

You could say they gave it to Pratt because he's everywhere at the moment, so he'll add interest to the movie, but I mean it's a Mario movie.... It's gonna be massive anyway

Maybe, but then people complained about him being in Lego too and that turned out great,

The rumours are that the story is a regular dude gets transported into the Mushroom Kingdom (which is Mario's origin story in some form of media - comics? cartoon? can't remember which) so it makes sense for him to have a regular voice in that case

I dunno, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and to wait and see - we've heard about 15s of dialogue, and even then his voice did sound different in the bit where he was jumping from mushroom to mushroom

I watched Don't Worry Darling. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still not great. Mishmash of tonnes of cliches and the messaging was super on the nose. The production was apparently a complete shitshow.

Looking forward to this. Might replace die hard as my new favourite christmas movie.

Watched Hell or High Water again last week. Very good modern western.

Also loads of clips of Tombstone keep popping up on my YouTube feed. What an all time western classic.

Watched "The Departed" for the first time since it came out,
Absolute banger, Scorsese really is the GOAT

Latest posts