• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

101496098_3470328689647507_4428478656498630656_n.png

I think I've heard it best described an emporer has no clothes moment for JJ Abrams. Personally I've never been a huge fan but I did enjoy his some of his stuff beforehand. But RoS really did prove he absolutely is a filmmaker with nothing to say other than to regurgitate nostalgia.

It's also a very badly made film with at least another few rounds required in the editing suite.

RoS annoyed me....there seemed really obvious changes that would "fix" it to some extent

but i also dont just Blame JJ Abrams, LJ jagged off in this different direction and then he tried to bring it back to what he started and failed, think he was in a no win situation, he was either going to get 7 movies that for their faults seemed pretty harmonious and then two movies off in a different direction..or you get what we got :eek:(

Watched the departed and really like it. Anyone got any Scorsese recommendations? I particularly liked the subtext, but aren't big on history so it's possible I won't really get the extra layers in older films, if the subtext is supposed to be a big thing, and if it's particular to something about the time.

Such a household name, so I was surprised when I looked through his filmography that I have seen very few of his films.

RoS annoyed me....there seemed really obvious changes that would "fix" it to some extent

but i also dont just Blame JJ Abrams, LJ jagged off in this different direction and then he tried to bring it back to what he started and failed, think he was in a no win situation, he was either going to get 7 movies that for their faults seemed pretty harmonious and then two movies off in a different direction..or you get what we got :eek:(
He had to carry on from Last Jedi not force the way he wanted it to end and for that the blame lays squarely at his feet. I really don't know how it doesn't.

Watched the departed and really like it. Anyone got any Scorsese recommendations? I particularly liked the subtext, but aren't big on history so it's possible I won't really get the extra layers in older films, if the subtext is supposed to be a big thing, and if it's particular to something about the time.

Such a household name, so I was surprised when I looked through his filmography that I have seen very few of his films.

The Departed is based on the HK trilogy Infernal Affairs if you're interested in checking those three out and don't mind subtitles. Unless your Cantonese is good.:p

But yeah Scorsese's done loads. Goodfellas and Raging Bull being Two of his best and should probably have won best picture at the Academy Awards.

And of course he did the Irishman on Netflix.

He had to carry on from Last Jedi not force the way he wanted it to end and for that the blame lays squarely at his feet. I really don't know how it doesn't.
he tried to make it connect with the other seven films rather than the one before and end with something that does neither

I did say I dont JUST blame him, he still deserves blame

Its interesting you say that, I'm tired of Last Jedi debates but The Last Jedi probably has more to say and tied in with the entire franchise than The Force Awakens ever bothered to. Obviously the original films make fleeting references to the prequels, however consider this.

In one scene Luke mentioned how at the height of Jedi, Darth Sideous was able to rise to power and destroy them. Pretty similar what is implied to happen with him with The First Order. There is huge thing about why you don't need to be of a lineage to become a hero. Much like Anakin before him Ren believes he entitiled to be better because of who he is rather than earnt power through knowledge.

I'm not saying TLJ doesn't have flaws it does but anyone saying its not tied to the series as whole and builds on the story. You need to watch it again....

Goodfellas (for me is my top 3 film ever, it's IMO the greatest mob film ever made).
The Departed
Are two films I could watch over and over for the rest of time and not tire of them

Outside the other films mentioned by other posters Mean streets is another good film to watch.
Taxi Driver and Mean Streets really helped change cinema.

King of Comedy is a interesting watch and one that has aged better as the celebrity persona and people delusion of wanting stardom has gradually gotten more openly surreal.
Also shout out to Cape Fear which inspired one of the best Simpsons spoofs in Cape Feare

Last edited:
As good as the Departed is, I personally think the original Infernal Affairs is better. Tony Leung is superb and also Andy Lau. There is more cat and mouse in the original and the sequels provide more back story, whereas the Departed, well ends as it does.

Tony Leung is such an underrated actor - House of Flying daggers and 2046. He didn't choose to go the Hollywood route because the roles for chinese actors are limited. Even Jackie Chan does not rate the Rush hour films and chooses the Police Story as his favourite film he has starred in.

Its interesting you say that, I'm tired of Last Jedi debates but The Last Jedi probably has more to say and tied in with the entire franchise than The Force Awakens ever bothered to. Obviously the original films make fleeting references to the prequels, however consider this.

In one scene Luke mentioned how at the height of Jedi, Darth Sideous was able to rise to power and destroy them. Pretty similar what is implied to happen with him with The First Order. There is huge thing about why you don't need to be of a lineage to become a hero. Much like Anakin before him Ren believes he entitiled to be better because of who he is rather than earnt power through knowledge.

I'm not saying TLJ doesn't have flaws it does but anyone saying its not tied to the series as whole and builds on the story. You need to watch it again....

I actually did watch it again a while ago. I loved it when i walked out the the cinema the first time...then thought about it a bit and really didnt like it, things like suddenly fuel is a major plot point, how the whole secondary plot of going to find a hacker comes to nothing (other than exploring another planet with some debate on profiteering from war), the mysteries like snoke and reys parents are just killed off, lightspeed jumping as a weapon going against actual canon to the point Disney had to make a statement stating it was a random anomaly one in a billion kind of thing, luke being a completely different person without really explaining why to the point hamell came out and said he felt like he was playing a different role..lots of stuff

the big one for me was keeping Leia alive, she had this huge moment where she could have force pushed other people back to the ship and drifted off a hero, a tribute to carrie fisher...but they invent force flying where she saves herself and no one else and then have to CGI leia for the whole next film

then i listened to a podcast that focused on the good stuff and so i went back and watched it again...a couple of times...and ended up with my stance above. It tries to tell some really interesting stories, some fresh thinking so i wont say its bad...its just too different to the other 8 films to work for me...its supposed to be part of this great saga..but directly undoes stuff from the film before (which abrams does too) and jags off in a different direction trying to tell a different story. Id rather Rian had been given one of the Anthology films where he would have a lot more freedom to explore the things he obviously wanted too and the LJ built on TFA too a huge finally in the RoS

just to clarify, abrams COULD have built on LJ, which would have been better than what we got...i just see what he was trying to do and have also read of ideas that would have achieved what he was going for better

Lol. A fish called Wanda. Probably wouldn't get away with the scenes today in it taking the mick out of stutterers.

"Your Name" (on Netflix)

I'd never heard of it until the other week, when I saw a blog post online going on about how great the animation/art style is in it (and it really is good).
Apparently it's the highest grossing Japanese movie (and anime movie) ever - I'd presumed Spirited Away was!

Really enjoyed it, completely different to what I was expecting

"A Silent Voice"

Came up as a recommendation on Netflix after watching "Your Name"

Really good.
It's almost a shame these stories are told through anime because I think that puts a lot of people off - but the animation is fantastic and the stories are great. Definitely going to be watching more from these directors/writers.

School ties. Pretty good racism film set in in a 1950s elite boarding school. Early roles for the likes of Matt Damon, Brendan Fraser, Ben Affleck.