• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What happened to Johnny O'Connor?

M

munross

What happend to him, is he still playing for Connacht?

Looked like a nice strong flanker, will he ever play for Ireland again?

Yes he's still there, and my guess is he won't play for Ireland again.
It's very strange, he looked an amazing player when he was at Wasps. Anyone care to explain?

well he'll be back in 4 or 5 weeks from his current injury but given the talent we have in the back row he's surplus to requirement as far as I'm concerned, 1 decent debut is about all we got from him, so no real problem with his not being selected as far as I'm concerned

What injury did he get?And why did he go from playing for the Wasps to now playing for Connacht?
I know he was born in Connacht, did Wasps not want him anymore or did Connacht make him a better offer or what?

He picked up a calf injury in the Challenge Cup match away to Rovigo. He came back to Ireland because he wanted to improve his chances of playing for Ireland given Eddie O'Sullivan's bias towards home players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 29 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He picked up a calf injury in the Challenge Cup match away to Rovigo. He came back to Ireland because he wanted to improve his chances of playing for Ireland given Eddie O'Sullivan's bias towards home players.[/b]

Thats strange seeing as Eon Reddan (London Wasps) is now Ireland's 1st choice scrum half...

Think that was a bad choice from O'Connor to make the move back to an Irish squad, especially to Connacht!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 29 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 29 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He picked up a calf injury in the Challenge Cup match away to Rovigo. He came back to Ireland because he wanted to improve his chances of playing for Ireland given Eddie O'Sullivan's bias towards home players.[/b]

Thats strange seeing as Eon Reddan (London Wasps) is now Ireland's 1st choice scrum half...

Think that was a bad choice from O'Connor to make the move back to an Irish squad, especially to Connacht!
[/b][/quote]

well he regularly picked Murphy as well but the likes of Casey were never given a chance even though they deserved a call up at least. It took Eddie long enough to give O'Connor a cap as well

I think O'Connor is a super 7 actually.. but there really are so many backrow forward choices for ireland.. got to be nearly 10 players who could all play those 3 positions.. we need Props badly.. maybe O'Connor will switch position:p

O'Connor is still a quaility player. With Wilkinsin, O'Connor, Muldoon, Murphy Keatley. Carr and that n
kiwi centre who's name I'm not even going to attempt to spell Connacht have the foundation of a good team, just need to build on it, keep going after Youngsters not getting their game at the other provinces. I said it on here that O'Connor, Muldoon Murphy and Keatley should have been in the AI squad, hopefully the IRFU and Kidney can overlook that they are playing for Connacht and pick them anyway. When Wilkinson is Irish quailified he will solve a lot of our scrummaging problems hopefully, he destroyed Tony Buckley last week.

indeed he did.. but destroying Buckley isn't that hard.. once that fatty goes backwards the scrum dies

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 29 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Think that was a bad choice from O'Connor to make the move back to an Irish squad, especially to Connacht![/b]
I recall an interview with O'Connor a few years ago where he said that Connacht is the only Irish province he'd ever consider playing for.

Given his injury problems at Wasps, it's perhaps no surprise that he came home to get a fresh start. Connacht also signed Gavin Duffy, Robbie Morris and Tim Donnelly at the same time so my guess is that O'Connor saw the IRFU taking more interest in the westerners and felt he could be part of an upswing in their fortunes. Unfortunately for him, he's as injury prone as ever but when he does play he gets through a mountain of work albeit at the expense of giving away too many penalties.

Latest posts