• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What happened to wall set moves?

psychic duck

International
Anybody remember those old set moves the All Blacks used to in the 90's?

Where a wall of players would line up and hide the ball whilst different players ran at various angles leaving different options to score. Was it banned as teams never do it any more?

Example here of remember Sale using it for a try against the Ospreys at Edgeley Park once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody remember those old set moves the All Blacks used to in the 90's?

Where a wall of players would line up and hide the ball whilst different players ran at various angles leaving different options to score. Was it banned as teams never do it any more?

Example here of remember Sale using it for a try against the Ospreys at Edgeley Park once.

People stopped doing it because it was always pretty ineffective.

Even back when it was a "silly" move. One you do in an exhibition match or when just messing about.

Kind of last roll of the dice move, the thing you coach for a bit of fun at the end of a session.

Christian Cullen also scored an amazing one off a very similar move in 2002 against Fiji

Sometimes they were pretty effective, but I think the issue is it generally sucks in a lot of your own players to eventually go wide. The All Blacks did it a few years ago. They're always pretty intricate and certainly fun to watch, but you could look pretty daft if you totally hash it up.

Christian Cullen also scored an amazing one off a very similar move in 2002 against Fiji

Sometimes they were pretty effective, but I think the issue is it generally sucks in a lot of your own players to eventually go wide. The All Blacks did it a few years ago. They're always pretty intricate and certainly fun to watch, but you could look pretty daft if you totally hash it up.

NZ poached that move from England :D

interesting stuff. I guess you have to be mighty careful too while doing it at the risk of being called for obstruction, perhaps (?). Looks obstruction-y, unless you pull it off really well like those video examples. I see the players aren't actually benefiting from a teammate's screen there, I'm just saying it looks like an easy set-play to get confused with although it's got tremendous potential.

Not quite a wall - but this was a beautiful try from Otago recently which was as convoluted and complex as some of the best of them.

If you drop a pass while everyone is running full tilt from different angles at the one point which is effectively what happens in these moves, chances are about 100% the opposition will score at the other end.

Part of the reason why it stopped being used is the fact that some defences would charge the wall and claim it as blocking.

Latest posts