What if Aus leave Super rugby?

mania

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Samoa
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ormance-of-raelene-castle-and-rugby-australia

with all this in fighting happening in Aus i read an article, that i cant find now that says NZ should look out because this could be the beginning of Aus rugby protecting itself and going to basics and therefore trying to disestablish Super rugby as we know it.
it would mean Aus pulling out of Super leaving only SA and Argentina.

to be brutally honest, Aus hasnt pulled its weight for over a decade. i dont really think this will be as big a loss as people think. sure Aus are NZ's nearest rival and for a long time they were also competitively NZs nearest rivals but those times are long gone.
its not up to Super to fix Aus rugby. only they can do that. but the malaise that infects Aus rugby cant be allowed to infect the rest of Super rugby. Just cos Aus as a nation dont want to play rugby means that they need to amputated from super and another team brought in.
having Aus continue the way they are imo is ruining Super. i watched an Aus derby before lockdown and omg it was a comedy of errors. it was painful low level rugby with real basic mistakes being made with no style.a
i would prefer a PI team, but i am bias and understand that there would be no money in getting a PI team in ,but this is where Super needs to think about making the best competition and not the most profitable. teams that can perform at high levels. sure the islands will struggle at first in the comp with its speed, technique and fitness but they have the personnel to evolve and overcome and succeed ina Super.

Aus needs to sort itself out before is allowed back , if ever, to Super

sticking with the Sunwolves is the next best option after kicking Aus out.
theyre improving at light speed ahead of the Rebels and Force were at in the same time period. Sunwolves had massive success imo in their first couple of seasons.
and more importantly they're cashed up and will be the gateway into Asia.
Having a PI team based in somewhere like hongKong would be an idea.

I agree Aus haven't exactly pulled thier weight in the last few years...but there is something to be said for the optics, having 9-10 of the super teams all located within 3 hours of each other forms a core the rest of the comp is built around...visualising a comp spread out without Aus...kind of looks weird....and im worried a weird competition will loose even more interest

Cant see how a PI team in Hong Kong would work, supported purely on novelty?

I agree Aus haven't exactly pulled thier weight in the last few years...but there is something to be said for the optics, having 9-10 of the super teams all located within 3 hours of each other forms a core the rest of the comp is built around...visualising a comp spread out without Aus...kind of looks weird....and im worried a weird competition will loose even more interest

Cant see how a PI team in Hong Kong would work, supported purely on novelty?
might not have a choice if rodKafer gets his way. if Aus go then Super can still survive imo
i dont know how a hongKong PI would work either. all i know is the PI's dont have the money but have great players

might not have a choice if rodKafer gets his way. if Aus go then Super can still survive imo
i dont know how a hongKong PI would work either. all i know is the PI's dont have the money but have great players
agreed we might not have a choice...i was more thinking we might have to contract to a domestic comp for a while...no RSA money but also cheaper to run, forming yet another version of super rugby risks it just being a money pit that could further damage the sport

maybe back to a super 10 type format where the top domestic teams just play off, centralise the support etc back to the home unions

agreed we might not have a choice...i was more thinking we might have to contract to a domestic comp for a while...no RSA money but also cheaper to run, forming yet another version of super rugby risks it just being a money pit that could further damage the sport

maybe back to a super 10 type format where the top domestic teams just play off, centralise the support etc back to the home unions
no. cant sever our relationship with SA, thats what keeps Super an attractive product. Super could survive the loss of Aus but not SA.
we already have an incredibly successful domestic comp that provides everything a domestic comp needs.

no. cant sever our relationship with SA, thats what keeps Super an attractive product. Super could survive the loss of Aus but not SA.
we already have an incredibly successful domestic comp that provides everything a domestic comp needs.
i think the point is we might not have a choice, without AUS the comp might die, i realise you dont think so but i think its a possibility and we might be better to euthanise rather than let it become a drain

stop and really think about it,more than half the games being a nine hour (or more) flight away? thats a big cost per game and big tax on the players, currently they get pretty long stretches based in NZ / AUS, plus having less games at a good time to watch live..less interest, lots of people dont watch the games in the middle of the night, we could loose a lot of the casual fans

a lot of the people i talk to see the real connection with RSA is at the All Blacks level rather than super rugby and lots of other people see the mitre 10 cup as half what it use to be, far from the firm base it use to be

just to clarify...you're probably right in what they will try and do...i just have my concerns and think we might be better in the long term to be proactive

i think the point is we might not have a choice, without AUS the comp might die, i realise you dont think so but i think its a possibility and we might be better to euthanise rather than let it become a drain

stop and really think about it,more than half the games being a nine hour (or more) flight away? thats a big cost per game and big tax on the players, currently they get pretty long stretches based in NZ / AUS, plus having less games at a good time to watch live..less interest, lots of people dont watch the games in the middle of the night, we could loose a lot of the casual fans

a lot of the people i talk to see the real connection with RSA is at the All Blacks level rather than super rugby and lots of other people see the mitre 10 cup as half what it use to be, far from the firm base it use to be

just to clarify...you're probably right in what they will try and do...i just have my concerns and think we might be better in the long term to be proactive
look NZ is far away from anywhere except Aus. If Aus leave we wont have a choice.
Abandoning Super would be a huge mistake as we'd lose all the revenue from that. its a proven product that has a huge market. it can be made better without Aus.
with lockDown everything can be reset and start building it from the ground up bigger and better .
It can be done. with a bit of creativity and pragmatism and buy in from the remaining unions.

im out, you "might not have a choices" are gold plated facts and my "might not have a choice" are the ravings of a madman, you win

Losing the Aussie teams in one fell swoop would really hurt. SupeRugby might survive, but it wouldn't be near as interesting. I like the Brumbies, so I'm biased.

im out, you "might not have a choices" are gold plated facts and my "might not have a choice" are the ravings of a madman, you win
well of course. why would you cease super rugby? thats just dumb killing your cash cow. the whole point is to keep it viable and living so it can generate awesome and rugby and money

I guess they could go back to a Super 12 based on 5 NZ Teams, 6 South African Teams and 1 Argentine Team.

I guess they could go back to a Super 12 based on 5 NZ Teams, 6 South African Teams and 1 Argentine Team.
agree consolidate and simplify. id like to see sunwolves back. so 5 SA sides, 5 NZ sides, 1 Argentina, 1 Japan

They should downsize to 2 teams until things stabilise.

yeah...that would be an interesting, which former Champion team would get the flick?

It better not be the Brumbies. I remember reading that they began as a team of rejects, players that no other team wanted. I like how they've persevered though the years.

It better not be the Brumbies. I remember reading that they began as a team of rejects, players that no other team wanted. I like how they've persevered though the years.

for all intents and purposes they were formed for the Super Rugby Comp, another way to look at it would be they dont have the same history as QLD or NSW...but yet another way is the Brumbies are the most successful AUS team....

Latest posts